[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

5 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Genysis had a good script?

My opinion is that she was virtually unwatchable in that movie.  Her version of Breakfast at Tiffany's on Broadway closed after a few performances.  I don't believe she is a very good actress, but I admit I've not seen her romcom work, maybe she is better in those.

17 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Did you see Terminator Genysis?  That answers your question I think.

LOL that was poorly written too... But, yeah i guess your right. She's not very good. She seemed better back in the first few seasons.

33 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The show showed us that Highgarden was full of gold and food.  Olenna, as the remaining member of House Tyrell and the Lady of Highgarden would know this.  Surely she would have made it known to Dany that Highgarden was full of food and gold.  Everyone is Westeros already knows it's full of food as it's been supplying KL for years.

Wouldn't that mean that protecting Highgarden's $$ and supplies would be the #1 most important thing on Dany's agenda?  So she's got a ready source of cash for the war, so she can set up some kind of supply line from Highgarden, either by boat or by land, to supply her army?  Where else is she going to get any food from her Dragonstone HQ? 

Isn't this like Strategy 101, safeguard the money and the food?

Instead, they apparently left the QOT with no army, no protections and no ravens to call for help, LOL.

At this point in the show, this stupidity is just a nitpick, but it really makes Dany and all of her advisors including the now dead QOT look like dimwits.

All of that would be too simple.  Everyone knew Casterly Rock had no gold but it was where everyone knew Tyrion was gonna attack before they even landed on Dragonstone.  Even Olenna was cool with being in open rebellion with Cersei and yet not having informed Tarly of any of her plans in maintaining the Reach. 

14 minutes ago, Sir Dingleberry said:

All of that would be too simple.  Everyone knew Casterly Rock had no gold but it was where everyone knew Tyrion was gonna attack before they even landed on Dragonstone.  Even Olenna was cool with being in open rebellion with Cersei and yet not having informed Tarly of any of her plans in maintaining the Reach. 

I may have missed something but, when was Olenna in open rebellion? She's been in secret meetings but, nothing in the open that i've seen. And im not sure everybody thought CR had no gold, nor do i think it was obvious that "Dany" would attack Casterly rock cause Dragonstone in like a short boat ride from Kingslanding. Strategically there was no real point to taking Casterly Rock.

10 minutes ago, ramla said:

I may have missed something but, when was Olenna in open rebellion? She's been in secret meetings but, nothing in the open that i've seen. And im not sure everybody thought CR had no gold, nor do i think it was obvious that "Dany" would attack Casterly rock cause Dragonstone in like a short boat ride from Kingslanding. Strategically there was no real point to taking Casterly Rock.

Maybe, I shouldn't have said open rebellion but it was clear that she wasn't with the queen. Cersei blew up the sept, Cersei calls reach Lords to sweat fealty and she isn't there, and Jamie works to persuade Tarly to join them with an understanding that he would become the new warden of the Reach. 

Every key player that is involved on either side is aware.  Tywin told Cersei who would have informed Jamie.  Tyrion isn't an idiot and could have probably figured this out along the way.  Olenna states as much before she dies. 

Jamie said they knew Tyrion was going to attack Casterly rock and I am pretty sure Tyrion said something along the same lines as well. Plus, Casterly rock was the only strategic seat that could have been attacked. King in the North is coming to treat with Dany, Reach and Dornse are allies, Riverlands are irrelevant, and same with Storms End. Plus, Jon said he figured Dany hasn't attacked kings landing by now vecause she didn't want to kill everyone, which makes casterly rock the safe move for her.

And no argument that Casterly Rock served no real strategic point for Dany outside of being an embarrassing loss for the Lannisters but the show has already made it clear that their logic from Robb losing winterfell doesn't apply to Lannisters.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

At this point in the show, this stupidity is just a nitpick

LOL!!! This is so true for everything practically. The show's so crowded with nonsense that any complaint, no matter how significant, looks like nitpicking, compared to the overall absurdity of the show as a whole.

Maybe I misheard (I can't be arsed to rewatch to check) but did Tyrion say that Tywin built Casterly Rock? Please someone tell me I'm wrong, because that would be a new level of poor writing.

9 minutes ago, WSmith84 said:

Maybe I misheard (I can't be arsed to rewatch to check) but did Tyrion say that Tywin built Casterly Rock? Please someone tell me I'm wrong, because that would be a new level of poor writing.

Tywin built Casterly Rock and either he or Tyrion invented a sewage system which Tyrion built. Edit: in the episode.

43 minutes ago, StepStark said:

LOL!!! This is so true for everything practically. The show's so crowded with nonsense that any complaint, no matter how significant, looks like nitpicking, compared to the overall absurdity of the show as a whole.

You could probably put together a video or presentation rather longer than the episode itself to analyze everything wrong with it, particularly this one. It is just brazen, the absurdity of almost everything to varying degrees. Imagine getting paid so well to produce something that a junior high school creative writing class could come up with during a lunch break or something.

Edit: had to add this map created by someone at reddit about the travel of the various parties;)

Edit2: already shared in another thread by another user, it is hard to keep up lol;)

https://i.redd.it/plu0buajledz.jpg

10 minutes ago, WSmith84 said:

I think it was something like "Tywin built Casterly Rock as we know it" and tyrion built the sewers. So not quite as stupid as Tywin built it from scratch. But its definitelt a contender for stupidest thing in the show amongst some very stiff competition. 

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

My opinion is that she was virtually unwatchable in that movie.  Her version of Breakfast at Tiffany's on Broadway closed after a few performances.  I don't believe she is a very good actress, but I admit I've not seen her romcom work, maybe she is better in those.

I liked her in Me Befor You.

Sorry if someone mentioned this already, but the way Lannister soldiers march toward Highgarden is completely absurd. They march as if they're on a modern day parade, and not going into a medieval battle. Is there anything they can do right on this show any more? LOL!

Does no one use scouts anymore? "Yara"'s entire fleet is taken completely unawares. Olenna has no idea that the entire Lannister army up and left Casterly Rock and is coming  her way. Euron has managed to sail past Dragonstone two or three times now and no one has noticed. No one seems to know anything. Varys needs to be fired, he doesn't seem to know anything anymore. Why is he even around anymore.

17 hours ago, Duckface said:

3. On capturing Highgarden. Keep a dialogue between Jaime and Tarly, but emphasize that it was in secret. Have huge Lannister army march towards Highgarden and have Tarly arrive at Highgarden before Lannisters with some other lords saying: "The Lannisters are coming, we've come to help, let us in". Have Tarly discuss battle plans with Olenna, her being confident in victory and then have Tarly's men and crown's loyalists butcher everyone at Highgarden at night.

I like it. From an in-universe perspective, I think Olenna surrendering to Tarly at the table would make more sense—but from a storytelling perspective, there's a lot more you could do with your version.

It echoes the way Tywin took KL from Aerys for Robert. But Jaime is playing Robert rather than Tywin, and that's a parallel Jaime would not enjoy dwelling on. And Tarly paralleling Tywin puts a new spin on Sam's father-son story, especially when you've got Tywin's son on screen to remind you.

In your version, the whole thing becomes meaningful to multiple characters' stories, instead of just "and then this happened out of the blue, so now the sides are more even, and otherwise it doesn't matter". This is the way they should be thinking, but, other than maybe with Arya, it seems like they're not even trying.

Season 7 Episode 3 Status of the Great Houses

Martell-Gone to the last man and now woman

Tyrell-Gone to the last man and woman, I suppose Tarly is Warden of the South.

Baratheon-Gone to the last man and woman (exc. Gendry)

Lannister-Cersei Queen of Westeros, No Heir. Jaime apparently denying the seat at Casterly Rock-No Warden of the West, Tyrion is hand to Queen D

Riverlands-Edmure???

Arryn-Sweet, Sweet Robin-No longer Warden of the east?

Greyjoy-Theon Captured by ummm?, Euron is Pirating about the Carribean and Yara in dungeon??

Stark-Jon-KotN, Bran refusing title of Lord of Winterfell, Sansa-Lady of Winterfell?  Is that title meaningful with a KotN?

Targaryen-Dany screwing up on Dragonstone, no heir

Can I rant about, not the episode itself, but an interview they gave about it?

Well, too late to answer, so I'm going to do it.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/30/game-of-thrones-bran-stark-reunion/

I, unlike many people, like the fact that Bran is cold, creepy, and completely lacking in empathy. Magic has a cost in this world, he's got amazing magic, and the sacrifice was his humanity, in a way that's most fitting for his character. And being the 3ER seems to mean seeing everywhere and everywhen whether you want to or not, and there's no way you could experience that and still be human.

IHW puts it like this:

Bran is existing in thousands of planes of existence at any one time. So it’s quite difficult for Bran to have any kind of semblance of personality anymore because he’s really like a giant computer.

Yeah, that works. But then D&D explain that's not really the issue:

There was supposed to be more time to learn what he needed to know and they ran out of time… Now Bran the Broken is broken in more ways than one. He’s got serious challenges dealing with all the stuff happening in his mind…

So, as it turns out, there is no cost to magic, there's just a cost to situational bad luck, and there's no problem with a human "existing in thousands of planes of existence" but still feeling and acting human, just that he left Dagobah before Yoda could finish his training.

And, worse, they clearly say that he's not there "just yet", implying that they may be planning to fix him by the end of the series. So he'll be yet another character who gets a radical change followed by a reset button, instead of a character arc.

And then the article even hints that maybe he'll even end up as the Hand of King Jon. Which would actually be great if he were going to be the creepy, universally-feared Sorcerer-Hand that Bloodraven was, but it sounds like they're talking about how he'll just be friendly Hand Tyrion but with unlimited magic powers. (Again, IHW seems to get it better than them—he thinks that the Hand needs to be ruthless and conniving.)

So, it seems like one of the few things the show got right (even if everyone disagrees with me on that), they only got it right by accident, and they're planning to "fix" that and get it wrong in the end.

1 hour ago, Hound's She-Wolf 2 said:

Does no one use scouts anymore? "Yara"'s entire fleet is taken completely unawares. Olenna has no idea that the entire Lannister army up and left Casterly Rock and is coming  her way. Euron has managed to sail past Dragonstone two or three times now and no one has noticed. No one seems to know anything. Varys needs to be fired, he doesn't seem to know anything anymore. Why is he even around anymore.

I think I have a possible explanation for why nobody uses scouts anymore.

Stannis Baratheon was known as one of the greatest military commanders in Westeros.

Stannis Baratheon attempted to take Winterfell without sending any scouts ahead.  From a tactical perspective, this was one of the most intelligent moves Stannis ever made and paid off dearly.

There is a saying that "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

So really, what everyone is trying to do is imitate Stannis, thereby becoming great military commanders.

That makes sense, right?

14 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

Arryn-Sweet, Sweet Robin-No longer Warden of the east?

Greyjoy-Theon Captured by ummm?, Euron is Pirating about the Carribean and Yara in dungeon??

Stark-Jon-KotN, Bran refusing title of Lord of Winterfell, Sansa-Lady of Winterfell?  Is that title meaningful with a KotN?

Targaryen-Dany screwing up on Dragonstone, no heir

Robin is definitely Warden of the East in Jon's new united kingdom (remember, the Vale joined the North), and I think he's also Warden of the East in Cersei's kingdom.

That kind of thing does seem a lot less common in Westeros than in historical Europe, and particularly under Cersei, but as far as I can tell, nobody in her Court (by which I apparently mean just her and Jaime) has given a thought to the Vale in a long time.

As for Sansa, "Lady of WInterfell" may be more like "Lord Mayor of Westminster" than "Earl of Wessex" or "Duke of England". But really, every single person in the North, and every person in the Vale except Robin and Mya, is hanging out at Winterfell, so does it make a difference?

By the way, does anyone else find it strange that they haven't bothered to come up with a name for the kingdom that includes the North and the Vale, or a title for its monarch? Everyone just shouts "King in the North!" every time Jon's name is mentioned, and nobody ever mentions the Vale, not even when presenting Jon to another monarch.

Surely at least the Maesters have to care about this. They already have this problem with Robb's kingdom that included the North and the Riverlands, and they're already starting to write the history books about it. You'd think they'd want to get Jon to pick a name before he dies so they don't go through that again.

In fact, I'm beginning to suspect that "King in the North" isn't a title in the first place, it's more that shouting "King in the North!" is a tourette's-like verbal tic, a genetic condition that most of the inbred North suffers from, and in fact they only elected both Robb and Jon by accident, but then decided to go with it out of embarrassment.

1 hour ago, Rubicante said:

I think I have a possible explanation for why nobody uses scouts anymore.

Stannis Baratheon was known as one of the greatest military commanders in Westeros.

Stannis Baratheon attempted to take Winterfell without sending any scouts ahead.  From a tactical perspective, this was one of the most intelligent moves Stannis ever made and paid off dearly.

There is a saying that "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

So really, what everyone is trying to do is imitate Stannis, thereby becoming great military commanders.

That makes sense, right?

That makes as much sense as anything else on the show, so yeah, I think that's possible.

Archived