[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

On 8/4/2017 at 2:06 PM, Greywater-Watch said:

• Tyrion is there to establish confidence. When Dany says to Jon: "I wonder if your father knew that Robert had send assasins to murder me in my cradle" it was a perfect opportunity for Tyrion to point out that Eddard Stark had laid down his title as Hand of the King because he refused to participate in sending assassins to kill Dany. And that in the end Eddard paid with his life in a certain way for this. Tyrion did not take the opportunity to pick up that thread - completely unlikely for him

Tyrion wasn't in King's Landing--probably still imprisoned in the Eyrie--at the time. He would've heard about it, but that might confuse the audience, which if they remember it--most likely not--wouldn't associate it with Tyrion. 

That being said, Eddard's refusal was good for character building and to complicate his relationship with Robert, but it was a minor plot turn way back when. And it was a contrivance, I think, to alllow Larry to attack the Hand of the King without him technically being Hand at the time, so as to ratchet up the tension between the families without it becoming Official State Business. Or even treason, if Robert was in the right mindset. (He did look down on Larry.)

It didn't mean as much to anyone involved as almost being assassinated meant to Dany. But it would have been nice. I think Tyrion stood up enough for Jon, however. 

23 hours ago, falcotron said:

Actually, I didn't realize just how important that "produce heirs" bit is, but as of the start of S7, Dorne is the only realm that has a leader who isn't a walking succession crisis.

Everywhere else, it's elderly women, terminally ill little boys, reanimated corpses, confirmed lesbians, or just nobody at all. (Seriously, unless I've missed something, nobody's gotten around to replacing Stannis in the Stormlands.) And the crown is contested by two women who have prophecies telling them they won't have any more kids. This entire system would be about to collapse even if Cersei, Dany, and Jon immediately had a love-in and declared peace and the Army of the Dead left the planet for no raisin.

So yeah, I'd support Tarly's coup, just because he has an adult son. And Euron, well, he looks like he's going to crank out the heirs, and if worst comes to worst, he's got to have some bastards somewhere at least, right?

On the other hand… we haven't heard anything about people starving in the Stormlands. And, besides missing their Lord Paramount, the only Storm Lords we know about are also either dead or thousands of miles away. Maybe it's become an anarchist people's utopia? Quick, someone tell Dany that she can achieve her dream of "breaking the wheel" just by dying childless along with all the other contenders.

What about the Riverlands? Edmure Tully has disappeared into oblivion, but he did produce a son with his Frey wife, didn't he?

And who's to say? Sweet Robin Arryn could knock up Sandra or someone, if he still exists. 

2 hours ago, darmody said:

What about the Riverlands? Edmure Tully has disappeared into oblivion, but he did produce a son with his Frey wife, didn't he? 

Sure, Edmure produced a son with his Frey wife. But so what? He isn't Lord Paramount of the Trident. He isn't Lord of anything, so his son isn't heir to anything.

And, while it might have been objectively decidable who the heir was at the start of S7, it certainly isn't after Arya's Freyicide. The succession is now almost certainly complicated enough to have to be settled by Walder's liege. Which is Cersei, the same Queen who still hasn't appointed a replacement for Stannis after however many years.

So, the Riverlands aren't one of the realms with a leader with no prospect for heirs, they're one of the realms with no leader at all.

On 8/4/2017 at 9:22 AM, Ser Didymus said:

the show-runners are using GRRM's foundation as a soap box to (poorly) address societal flaws and backwards thinking of our modern world.

the beauty of GRRM's source material is that the allegory is subtle, if present at all.  because Game of Thrones is a popular television program in the year 2017, it has become a cultural meme, tasked with speaking to current events and societal norms, despite its context being anything but that.

i am currently listening to the books for the first time, having read through the published/released material 5 times already.  Blatant mispronunciation of a handful of names aside (Puh-TIRE Baelish :: Petyr Baelish / Bry-EEN of Tarth :: Brienne of Tarth), I am beginning to realize just how great of a challenge D&D were facing, and how ill-equipped they have proven themselves in facing this challenge.

There is no reason for what is happening in the show.  No character motivation is evident or consistent.  I dated an alcoholic, narcissistic woman who was more predictable, forthcoming and self-aware than the caricatures on display in this television program.

It must pain GRRM to see what these clowns have down to his work of art.  Without the frame-work of published source material to copy directly from, the show continues down the path towards irrelevance.  I am glad, however, that the joke of a television program that is Game of Thrones strayed so far from the source material both in plot and in quality, that it has renewed my love of GRRM’s writing.  I count ASOIAF among the richest literary endeavors I have had the pleasure of experiencing.

Alas, I will continue to watch the show, if only to serve as the foil to my non-reader friends and family who still fawn over the spectacle that should be re-named “Michael Bay presents The Bastardization of Ice of Fire.”

This is perfect, all of it. 

Very well said.

On 8/4/2017 at 11:30 PM, falcotron said:

Now that I think about it, as Sam described it, any contact with even a small flame, and they go up like they're coated in oil.

If you've never seen what happens to any frozen food engulfed in hot oil, you've never been to Scotland.

Now I'm starting to worry that the real problem will be an epidemic of dragon obesity.

I'd love to see a final battle, Dany is over the Night King, poised to go "Dracarys!" with Drogon, but he's slowly sinking and her eyebrows furrow together. Then he plops to the the ground and belches. Dany, Jon, and the Night King turn to the camera and episode finishes with a lecture on healthy eating.  

On 8/5/2017 at 9:23 AM, Greywater-Watch said:

It just came to my mind: How could they send a raven from Dragonstone to Winterfell in ep2? Dragonstone seemed completely deserted when Dany came. But either a maester was hiding around with a full set of trained ravens in his rookery or they brought such from Mereen? I do not think so. But I would not be surprised anymore if we'd see the Unsullied become trained in raven tending skills all of a sudden, and start to send messages from Casterly rock to Dragonstone.

At this point better get the Dothraki. They're carrying boats for Jon Snow so would probably consider it a promotion.  

On 8/5/2017 at 5:43 AM, Half Of Tormunds Member said:

With regards to Ghost not being there, that sucks. Yes, CG dragons cost money, but come on, the Rock and Highgarden looked like crap. They were pretty much just matte paintings. The animals are the biggest part of CG (especially fur, so I get why they'd rather do dragons that wolves), but Ghost is such an important part of the character of Jon that it's like taking away the soul of the character. Why bother having the wolves past of the story, really?

As someone who has done some VFX freelancing, yes, this stuff is expensive and takes time, but, if one guy can do this on his own, then why the hell can't the VFX firms do at least something better with a much larger budget? (And this is using technology from almost 10 years ago.)

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/one_man_against_attila_the_hun/

This makes me sad. I loved watching the VFX videos and I think they did a great job on many of the earlier castles, especially when they weren't made from scratch, but built on existing castles to be more elaborate and exciting. Yes, the Eyrie wasn't as dramatic as the books, but it was pretty amazing. 

I remember thinking that Tarly's holdfast was really well done, as it had a kind of Roman villa (Italian) appearance, which made sense considering the Moorish/Spanish look of Dorne to the south, and the English/French medieval look of the more northern keeps.

That said, what I really miss is the details of the castles. Couldn't they have found someplace more lush, and well, garden-like, for Highgarden? Unless they were going to actually go for consistency and make it winter, but it's not winter in King's landing, so who cares? As others said, it didn't even match the Tarly's. I saw a couple trees. It makes me really nostalgic for the sky cells in season 1, which helped the Eyrie become real. 

Archived