bran is such a creep...

10 minutes ago, princess brittany said:

bran was acting very odd. does anyone know why?

Supposedly it's the whole "I am the three eyed raven, I have seen everything" shtick he has going on. Apparently the show-runners felt that they had to cripple him emotionally (pun not intended) to balance his power, or something like that.

44 minutes ago, princess brittany said:

Bran has been having flashes from all times and all places (eg the montage before he meets his uncle again).  When he straddles them he can interact with both (eg the Hodor scene and to a lesser extent the Tower of Joy Scene).  He's new at this making it hard to manage understanding when/where he is.  He's disoriented with his thoughts and emotionally since he's seeing very emotional events and he may even be interacting and causing damage to people he cares about, eg Hodor which we don't see yet.

Also, people have a capacity to remember things associatively, so the place and snowfall reminds him of Sansa's Wedding night.  He then tries to console her, but he's still distant and not able to read her emotionally.  Personally, it fits his character and the plot, so I don't know why so many are having issues with this compared to other characters (Sansa) which there are issues with her development or lack there of.   OT, she still seems to lack depth (talking about as written rather than the acting which has improved over the years imo).

On 8/1/2017 at 2:02 PM, Xarkar said:

If Bran has the full powers (or even most of the powers) of the 3ER then he in theory knows past/present/future.

With that in mind, he knows the outcome of every single thing that happens.  IE he knows what will come of his conversation with Sansa.  He knew it would piss her off, but he did it anyway... why?

If he really knows the future the same as the past and the present (which is a big if, and I'm not sure is true), then he already knows what he will do the same way he knows what he's done in the past. For someone in that situation, "why" isn't a relevant question—he did it because, as he already knows, that's what he does at that point in time.

On 8/1/2017 at 8:52 PM, Future Null Infinity said:

Dumb, Dumber and Isaac Hempstead-Wright explaining Bran in winterfell :

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/30/game-of-thrones-bran-stark-reunion/

D&D : Bran have too much power in the books so we decided to make him a broken man

Man!, I can't even :bang: 

That quote isn't in the article you linked. But if it were, what would be the problem? That's far more GRRM-consistent than anything they've said in years. Even when you try to paraphrase it to make it sound silly, it still makes total sense. One of the core ideas of ASoIaF is that magic has a cost. Of course being an all-seeing wizard should have a huge cost.

I'm not as happy with their in-universe explanation as their out-of-universe one, though. Basically, the main problem is that he's overwhelmed because he didn't get far enough in his training to learn how to cope with having all of space and time in his head and existing on thousands of planes at once. Is that really something it should be possible for a human to learn to cope with, and still be human? I think the best you could hope for is Billy Pilgrim from Slaughterhouse-Five.

Also, there are so many other factors they could have used to explain it. Experiencing things out of time is already enough without the not-enough-training bit. Alternatively, this is the magic of aliens of who don't think and feel like humans, and it's cold magic. Plus, his mentor was the creepiest man in Westeros. And his training largely consisted of viewing a catalog of horrors that would be hard to deal with for a well-adjusted adult, much less for a traumatized pubescent teen.

I think their aim with the needs-more-time-with-Yoda thing is that it doesn't just explain why he's broken, it also explains why he can't use his powers to just tell everyone exactly what they need to do to fix everything. Which, fine, but I think they could have gotten that anyway by either not making the power actually involve seeing all of space and time, or just making it a fundamental limitation of his mind—even if a human can see everything, he can't take it all in and process it usefully—rather than a lack of training.

But anyway, I don't think that in-universe explanation is ever going to appear in-story, so that's not as important.

Some folks are going to kill me for saying this, but I have always loathed Bran in books and in the show.  I only wish Jaime was around to drag Bran's crippled ass up the tower and throw him back out the window - maybe he'll knock his brain back in place and go back to normal (or he'll finish the job he intended the first time and rid us of this insufferable "I am an omniscent god who can go back in time and influence events" stuff).  That scene with Sansa was awful.  Poor Meera.

23 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Some folks are going to kill me for saying this, but I have always loathed Bran in books and in the show.  I only wish Jaime was around to drag Bran's crippled ass up the tower and throw him back out the window - maybe he'll knock his brain back in place and go back to normal (or he'll finish the job he intended the first time and rid us of this insufferable "I am an omniscent god who can go back in time and influence events" stuff).  That scene with Sansa was awful.  Poor Meera.

Why do you hate Bran? 

I hate him because he is boring. In books and show. And his storyline is too fantasy with the magical 3 eyed raven and magical abilities and living in a tree and defeating the magical creatures with the help of other magical creatures. Meh. No. I read and watch Asoiaf/GoT for the medieval context, the realism (as little of that the latter has at this point) and the historical vibe. That's just the genre I enjoy. 

Also, manipulating time is just bullshit and out of place in this story. It barely ever works. And Isaac is a terrible actor and this season 7 Bran persona is insufferable. 

3 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

Why do you hate Bran? 

I hate him because he is boring. In books and show. And his storyline is too fantasy with the magical 3 eyed raven and magical abilities and living in a tree and defeating the magical creatures with the help of other magical creatures. Meh. No. I read and watch Asoiaf/GoT for the medieval context, the realism (as little of that the latter has at this point) and the historical vibe. That's just the genre I enjoy. 

Also, manipulating time is just bullshit and out of place in this story. It barely ever works. And Isaac is a terrible actor and this season 7 Bran persona is insufferable. 

@RhaenysB I hate him for pretty much every reason you listed.  I found him (and especially the warging descriptions) sooooo tough to read especially in AGOT, ACOK, and ASOS.  Then in ADWD he gets a bit dark in that cave, especially just warging into Hodor at will.  Him being really petulant, nasty, and authoritative in the first few seasons of the show (granted, I'd probably have a stick up my ass too if I lost use of my legs) was very grating to me.  But most of all, the whole magical omniscent stuff in both the books and the show is just a little too outlandish and convenient.  At least it gives GRRM a way to finish the books with a few sentences - "Bran imagined it all and woke up from his coma" or "Bran went back in time and fixed everything, the end."  I'd actually rather not get any more books if that is how it goes.

12 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

@RhaenysB I hate him for pretty much every reason you listed.  I found him (and especially the warging descriptions) sooooo tough to read especially in AGOT, ACOK, and ASOS.  Then in ADWD he gets a bit dark in that cave, especially just warging into Hodor at will.  Him being really petulant, nasty, and authoritative in the first few seasons of the show (granted, I'd probably have a stick up my ass too if I lost use of my legs) was very grating to me.  But most of all, the whole magical omniscent stuff in both the books and the show is just a little too outlandish and convenient.  At least it gives GRRM a way to finish the books with a few sentences - "Bran imagined it all and woke up from his coma" or "Bran went back in time and fixed everything, the end."  I'd actually rather not get any more books if that is how it goes.

:lol: don't worry, you won't. 

Actually I don't remember too much about the Bran chapters, my brain just zoned out they were so boring. I never had the impression he was nasty, but that might be because of the same reason, that my brain zoned out. 

1 minute ago, RhaenysB said:

:lol: don't worry, you won't. 

Actually I don't remember too much about the Bran chapters, my brain just zoned out they were so boring. I never had the impression he was nasty, but that might be because of the same reason, that my brain zoned out. 

Yeah I power read the books while travelling and usually when I saw a Bran or Brienne chapter pop up I knew it was time to go to bed.  As for the nastiness it was more of a show thing - he had a few moments where he was really impatient or snarky to Maester Luwin, Rickon, Osha, et al.

This is completely superficial and I shouldn't admit this, but I really don't like the look of grown up Bran's face.  He looks like a guy who would be a total douchebag.  That just magnifies how annoying his attitude is lol.

On 2/8/2017 at 5:52 AM, Future Null Infinity said:

Dumb, Dumber and Isaac Hempstead-Wright explaining Bran in winterfell :

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/30/game-of-thrones-bran-stark-reunion/

D&D : Bran have too much power in the books so we decided to make him a broken man

Man!, I can't even :bang: 

Yep, and Jonnie just resurrected but, conversely, he is super fine, better than ever, and about t have

Spoiler

boatsex!

1 hour ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

"I am an omniscent god who can go back in time and influence events" stuff).  That scene with Sansa was awful.  Poor Meera.

Yes, poor meera, but I actually blame the writers and not Bran is not responsible for the awful writing:rolleyes: They are completely unable to create decent characterisation

9 hours ago, princess brittany said:

Yep, the directors/showrunners told him to play it that way because in their creatively thinking (because it makes sense to them!) decided that suddenly the complex pshycholgy of the character couldn't be able to afford the amount of information that the 3eyed raven has (even if in last season that was not an issue).

ANother reason is that this season is FILLER. They don't know what to do with some characters, so, if he behaved normally, the mess of Winterfell (LF being there and this stuff) would not be possible (Bran would soon discover it and say NO), but they need all these until the ending of the filler season to create shocking moments.

The other possible reason is because they don't like the character, and thus, resurrection someone has ZERO consequences whilst being 3eyed has real ones.

35 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Yep, and Jonnie just resurrected but, conversely, he is super fine, better than ever, and about t have

D&D are saying that Bran with full power of seeing future, present and past will put the show in danger this is why we turned him into a fool until further notice (I bet that when the time of the targy thing come Bran will magically become a fully functional 3ER)

11 minutes ago, Future Null Infinity said:

D&D are saying that Bran with full power of seeing future, present and past will put the show in danger this is why we turned him into a fool until further notice (I bet that when the time of the targy thing come Bran will magically become a fully functional 3ER)

Yes, that will be a shcoking moment, and if he was now normal he'd tell them what LF did, but they are leaving things for the end of the season

You are looking for an in-universe explanation, but perhaps the answer can be found by remembering that there are writers who came up with those lines.

Before filming the rape scene, Sophie Turner was assured it would be “beautiful“ and “choreographed like a ballet“.

I think that is why we got those words from Bran. Wouldn't be the first time we got lines that reek like an expression of the opinion of the people behind the show. 

3 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Yes, that will be a shcoking moment, and if he was now normal he'd tell them what LF did, but they are leaving things for the end of the season

I fully believe he'll put together Littlefinger's treachery right toward the end of the season.  And of course Jon's heritage.

2 hours ago, fellow reader said:

You are looking for an in-universe explanation, but perhaps the answer can be found by remembering that there are writers who came up with those lines.

Before filming the rape scene, Sophie Turner was assured it would be “beautiful“ and “choreographed like a ballet“.

I think that is why we got those words from Bran. Wouldn't be the first time we got lines that reek like an expression of the opinion of the people behind the show. 

True.  That is almost certainly why they would choose such a stupid item for Bran to use to show his omnipotence, and not, "Yo, that guy right next to you betrayed our father and is the architect of all our destruction".    And since they don't like or know how to deal with Bran's story since he left Winterfell, they turned him into a blank slate who will sit around until the show needs a plot point or the weirwoodnet to save somebody.

Archived