bran is such a creep...

10 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

At least it gives GRRM a way to finish the books with a few sentences - "Bran imagined it all and woke up from his coma" or "Bran went back in time and fixed everything, the end."

But that isn't the end.

The whole thing started as GRRM's spec script for mid-80s Doctor Who.

The first act kind of got away from him, and expanded out into 6 books. But the big reveal, when Bran tries to change history and we realize he's an alternate-timeline version of the Meddling Monk and the Sixth Doctor has to stop him from breaking the First Law of Time, that's still going to happen. And then, in a somewhat anticlimactic ending, he'll explain that R'hllor and the Great Other aren't actually gods, just aliens with perfectly-scientific psychic powers, and the wights are just created by perfectly-scientific morphic field technology, and so on, and he'll shout at them until they agree to leave Planetos alone.

Also, Arya is the Rani.

D&D only figured it out this year. That's why they made Euron a cross between all the charming mercenary rogues and roguish mercenaries of the week from that era of the show, and also why the new castles in S7 all look like someone bluescreened in a painting of a random castle they found lying around in the BBC closets. And they're excited, because they're on HBO, so Peri can be traveling the universe topless instead of in a skimpy bikini.

On Invalid Date at 6:43 AM, Mikkel said:

Supposedly it's the whole "I am the three eyed raven, I have seen everything" shtick he has going on. Apparently the show-runners felt that they had to cripple him emotionally (pun not intended) to balance his power, or something like that.

Only strange that in the show Brandon Ryvers (the original Three Eyed Raven, the old man) after sitting for more than 100 years in that cave had still more empathy left in him than Bran after only some months in the cave.

3 hours ago, Greywater-Watch said:

Only strange that in the show Brandon Ryvers (the original Three Eyed Raven, the old man) after sitting for more than 100 years in that cave had still more empathy left in him than Bran after only some months in the cave.

If you read the Entertainment Weekly interview, they explain this. I don't like their explanation, but it does work. Briefly: It's precisely because Bran didn't have time to finish his training, and hasn't had 100 years to learn to cope with his powers, that he acts like a computer.

It seemed to me very much that Bran was pulling from his experience of dealing with his sister before shit happened: it was her wedding, no family there to tell her how beautiful she was, how magical the gods wood was, etc. (you know, the things he figures she cares about) without being in touch enough to know the gestures in this case are inappropriate. I found the moment to be a sad sort of familial lip service.

2 minutes ago, DirePenguin said:

I want to believe Bran was inly looking through the tree and saw Sansa in the Godswood. But then he's also seen things where there were no warewood tree.

In multiple post-S6 interviews, D&D reminded everyone that, according to Blackraven, Bran would initially only be able to see from tree to tree, but eventually he'd see everything everywhere.

So, I don't think him seeing things outside the Godswood is a mistake or anything; he has that power now (sometimes whether he wants it or not).

On 8/1/2017 at 4:35 PM, Lothar said:

Well, until now.  Bran describing how beautiful everything about the night was kind of makes it sound like he enjoyed watching it.

He was probably talking about the wedding itself and not the rape afterwards. Maybe you have a point but it is hard to tell. BR was unabashedly incestuous and does that mean that those tendencies are now part of Bran?

Archived