Davos...

tysen

Something that's bothered me since season 2 is how Davos does not appear to grieve at all for his son who was killed at the Battle of Blackwater Bay.  I was reminded of it this episode when he and Tyrion were discussing that battle.  Shouldn't Davos be furious at the sight of Tyrion?

Davos is a very pragmatic man. First, he wouldn't blame Tyrion for his son's death because he'd understand that Tyrion was doing his job in a time of war. But even if he did, he knows that the North needs Dany and Tyrion is Dany's Hand. There are more important things to worry about. Plus, he also has heard from Jon and Sansa that Tyrion was a good person, and that carries weight with Davos. 

11 hours ago, tysen said:

Shouldn't Davos be furious at the sight of Tyrion?

I'd say no, based on what we know about Davos from the books. He's not a vengeful kind of person, and would probably say that a war is a war, everyone fights for survival, and Tyrion was right to use any means necessary to win at Blackwater. Davos obviously wasn't too happy about what happened there, we've seen it in this episode, but I doubt he'd blame Tyrion even if he know Tyrion was the mastermind behind the wildfire trick.

It would be awesome to get a scene with two of them discussing Blackwater, though I doubt we'll get to see anything like it so close to the end of the whole story.

Why would he be mad? No one even knows it was Tyrion's plan to use Wildfire.  I mean Joffrey got named the Savior of the city alongside Tywin and the Tyrells and Littlefinger and practically everyone else.  Tyrion woke up in a closet, bandaged, and told he had been replaced. Plus Cersei just burned down the Sept with wildfire, which points to her having a hand in wildfire previously used.   

I get so confused when people complain that Davos should be mad at Tyrion because "he killed his son". What? Tyrion didn't kill Davos's son. Tyrion killed Tywin and Shae and that hillman in the Vale and possible a couple other nameless stuntmen in fighting scenes. 

Davos's son died in battle. Just because that battle was fought against Tyrion, it doesn't mean he killed Davos's son. I mean that's like saying Ned Stark killed Theon's brother. No he didn't, he just happened to die in a battle they fought against Ned Stark (and a bunch of other people - so you could just as well claim that Bronn killed Davos's son or Joffrey killed Davos's son or the alchemist killed Davos's son). It's so stupid. 

Davos seemed more upset when Shireen died! He's one of my favorites too. Great actor and always knows what to say to keep Jon (and Stannis before him) from putting his foot in his mouth. Like how he almost spilled the beans on Jon dying and coming back to life!

Davos is an awesome character and I am so glad that jon is listening to him and keeping him close. I don't think he could ever be friends with tyrion but he knows it was war and probably blames himself more for his sons death. You could see he took it hard in season 3 but they couldn't have him constantly cry about it or it would have gotten tedious and annoying. I think shireen's death bothered him so much because after his son died he almsot adopted her since stannis wasn't very close to her and her mother in the show hated her. I think by getting so close to her it was kinda like him using her to fill that role in his life. And she was an innocent girl and she died so cruely. Remember davos was sad when he heard she had died but it wasn't until he found out she had been burnt that he truly got enraged.

I think the better question to ask is "Why is Davos with Jon in the first place?". 

Ever since the beginning of season 5, Davos doesn't seem to serve any purpose on the show.  In season 5, he kind of just stood beside Stannis and said things Stannis could have said on his own.  In the beginning of season 6, he served as a "director" in telling people what to do in order to get Jon resurrected.  Now he kind of just stands around Jon and says things that Jon could say on his own.  It seems very obvious that the show runners have no clue how to make this character useful anymore.

This is coming from a person who loves the Davos character from the novel.

Davos is smart enough to know he shouldn't be mad at Tyrion for the death of his son. Also, with how insanely fast the show is progressing the plot, there just isn't time anymore for humanizing scenes like showing Davos grief, which admittedly is sad and has hurt the show immensely in my opinion.

I think he knows that if his son had the chance to kill Tyrion, he would do the same thing, since they were on the opposite sides.

He might also have been mad at Stannis for taking him and his son into war in the first place. He would have more reasons to hold grudges against Stannis, but he didn't, therefore he has very little arguments to hate somebody who fought on the opposite side to save his life.

17 hours ago, Rubicante said:

I think the better question to ask is "Why is Davos with Jon in the first place?". 

Ever since the beginning of season 5, Davos doesn't seem to serve any purpose on the show.  In season 5, he kind of just stood beside Stannis and said things Stannis could have said on his own.  In the beginning of season 6, he served as a "director" in telling people what to do in order to get Jon resurrected.  Now he kind of just stands around Jon and says things that Jon could say on his own.  It seems very obvious that the show runners have no clue how to make this character useful anymore.

This is coming from a person who loves the Davos character from the novel.

Agreed. I used to think he'll be the one to kill Melisandre (for Shereen) and that they were dragging him around till that moment came. Now that Melisandre hinted at her own death, as if she thought of some sort of self-sacrifice for the greater good (which would leave Davos out of her path), I ask myself the same question.

My greatest fear, as much as I love Davos as a character, is that Jon will be King and Davos will be Jon's Hand, which means Tyrion will likely be dead.

I really hope there's another explanation.

On 1 agosto 2017 at 9:57 AM, anjulibai said:

Davos is a very pragmatic man. First, he wouldn't blame Tyrion for his son's death because he'd understand that Tyrion was doing his job in a time of war. But even if he did, he knows that the North needs Dany and Tyrion is Dany's Hand. There are more important things to worry about. Plus, he also has heard from Jon and Sansa that Tyrion was a good person, and that carries weight with Davos. 

I concur.

Davos is a favorite of mine too, both the character and the actor. He's definitely a highlight of the books and show for me.

Davos is smart, honorable, brave and has a cool head in a crisis. He has an invaluable purpose: to provide wise counsel and other help for Jon in the great battle with the White Walkers. (Yes, like Jon's Hand.) Every leader throughout history needs seasoned advisers (including the king/queen's small council) to provide a different perspective, brainstorm ideas, strategize and think through details, etc. Davos takes a lot of Jon's work and worry load off his shoulders. Also, being a leader is a lonely job, and Davos provides much needed companionship and friendship. He has Jon's back, as he used to have Stannis' back, and thus he is critically important in this story.

Every time I see Jon and Davos together, I feel thankful that they teamed up. 

Well I think that Davos has suffered quite a bit in the translation from text to screen. (Well hello there Benoiff and Weiss, turning him into a sock puppet for your opinions.)

However I agree that it would not quite fit with Davos if he was vengeful against Tyrion. He is not Rickard Karstark, after all, and knows that war is war. In addition to that, as others have pointed out. Tyrion did not slay Matthos with his own hand.

I also think he blames Mellisandre more for Matthos' demise than anybody on Tyrion's side.

As to his lack of grief...well, the show simply neglected to keep Matthos' importance for Davos alive. A lot of Davos' grief and resentment towards Mellisandre was transplanted to Shireen's death instead. Since the audience has spent many seasons with Shireen it was easier for them to relate, so it is given more importance.

On 8/1/2017 at 4:11 PM, Raven Banner said:

Remember, when Davos talked with Gendry in Dragonstones dungeon. Davos told him, his son died following him.

I was going to bring this up!  Davos is someone who has a well developed sense of personal responsibility.  It would be odd to me if he blamed Tyrion.

I think Davos still has a role to play. Daenaerys has lost her allies in Dorne and the Reach. But the Riverlands and Stormlands have not chosen side. If I remember correctly, Jaime sent Edmure Tully to Casterly Rock, and if Jaime left him there, Grey Worm will find him. There are no longer any Baratheon ruler in the Stormlands after Tommen died. So maybe Gendry will be back as Robert Baratheons heir, and only Davos will be able to influence him.

Archived