Jon Snow - First of his Name....

OK, Obviously Missandei has had a lot of practice, announcing Dany's ever-growing list of titles, over and over....

But Jon came off clearly second-best when Davos introduced him...

So how could Jon have been announced?

How about:

Jon Snow, King in the North, Blood of the Direwolf, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, The Peacemaker, A Prince Reborn

The above only relates to his Stark/Snow heritage - nothing about his Targaryan ancestry (although the reborn prince bit would also fit with that line)

Any other suggestions as to titles he could use when meeting Dany or other rulers?

The whole entire difference between Jon and Daenerys is that Jon doesn't need a crap ton of titles as some sort of weird self reassurance that he is the most amazing person in the world. Jon is a leader because others want him to lead and/or there's no one else to do the job. Jon doesn't need made up titles and nicknames to justify himself. 

Futhermore, 

King in the North, Blood of the Direwolf, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, The Peacemaker, A Prince Reborn

Blood of the direwolf? I have never ever heard that reference for starks. They are just wolves. Young wolf, wild wolf, etc. Jon is the White Wolf at best. Lord Commander of the Night's Watch? First off, that's Edd. Jon isn't lord commander anymore and that would be a complete contradiction with being kitn, as he is either this or that. Peacemaker... meh, but at least that's not incorrect. prince reborn. Reborn, sure, but in what way is he a prince? He is a bastard. And his father wasn't a king or a prince, as far as he and Davos know. 

The most I could agree with is Jon Snow,  the King in The North, the white wolf, (the bastard of Winterfell)

having said that, Daenerys also used Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea for a couple years while she wasn't Khaleesi on any grounds, so that was bullshit too. 

I admit to laughing out loud at that scene.  Missandei was so practiced and the titles just rolled off her tongue.  Then we get plain speaking Davos indicating who plain speaking Jon is, with just a few words. The difference was striking and entertaining.  

And to stay on topic: Jon Snow of House Stark (currrently) King of the North, the White Wolf, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Killer of the Undead, and Lord Over Death.

7 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Blood of the direwolf? I have never ever heard that reference for starks. They are just wolves. Young wolf, wild wolf, etc. Jon is the White Wolf at best. Lord Commander of the Night's Watch?

Direwolves traditionally live North of the Wall, as Jon had done - unike any of the Stark-blood in thousands of years - so that was my thought

And he was voted Lord Commander and only discarded that responsibility when he was re-born.  Yes a bit like the 'Khaleesi' title that was redundant for a long time, even though Dany may be entitled to claim that now since her killing spree at Vaes Dothrak.

14 hours ago, The Knight of Flours said:

OK, Obviously Missandei has had a lot of practice, announcing Dany's ever-growing list of titles, over and over....

But Jon came off clearly second-best when Davos introduced him...

So how could Jon have been announced?

How about:

Jon Snow, King in the North, Blood of the Direwolf, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, The Peacemaker, A Prince Reborn

The above only relates to his Stark/Snow heritage - nothing about his Targaryan ancestry (although the reborn prince bit would also fit with that line)

Any other suggestions as to titles he could use when meeting Dany or other rulers?

Jon is not as accomplished as Daenerys.  Daenerys is truthfully, Daenerys the Great.  She is responsible for the millions of former slaves who now have their freedom.  She brought the Dothraki across the Narrow Sea and radically changed their culture and their ways of life.  Jon is not her equal.  

Jon came across as immature, bad-mannered, and a rube during that meeting.  Dany showed grace and class.  

Jon's single title definitely beat out Dany's endless stream of titles.  Simplicity wins.  It exposes a sense of self assured power.  Jon knows who he is and he knows the people he's introduced to knows who he is.  The rest is unnecessary, especially for what he was trying to do.  

6 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Jon's single title definitely beat out Dany's endless stream of titles.  Simplicity wins.  It exposes a sense of self assured power.  Jon knows who he is and he knows the people he's introduced to knows who he is.  The rest is unnecessary, especially for what he was trying to do.  

As Tywin Lannister said before 

''any man who must say I am the king is no true king''

I think this speaks volumes about Daenerys now.

8 minutes ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

As Tywin Lannister said before 

''any man who must say I am the king is no true king''

I think this speaks volumes about Daenerys now.

No it doesn't.  Kings and Queens have titles. And when people appear before them in Court their titles are recited. This is not unique to Dany as every monarch in this series has their titles recited when they are holding court.

Tywin's quote has nothing to do with the fact that Kings and Queens have titles. lol

8 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

No it doesn't.  Kings and Queens have titles. And when people appear before them in Court their titles are recited. This is not unique to Dany as every monarch in this series has their titles recited when they are holding court.

Tywin's quote has nothing to do with the fact that Kings and Queens have titles. lol

Well every monarch is at some point likely to announce themselves as King/Queen either for dramatic effect or to remind people who are acting out of place in front of them. At the same time they're in a very dangerous position with lots of people wanting to murder them for any given reason. I wouldn't say that calling themselves king or queen makes them a false king or queen or that they're destined to die painfully because of it. I was actually suprised Tywin said that because he basically implied that Joffrey was no true king. Dany is living in a very dangerous world which is famous for people dying left and right.

15 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Also Tywins words are relevant to Daenerys

• She gets mad when Jon does not refer to her as his Queen
  • The need tell Jon she is the rightful Queen of the seven kingdoms and that he is basically now in open rebellion.
  • She is portrayed much like Joffrey.
  • Her response to her father burning his family alive was 'I ask you to forgive me, now bend the knee'
  • She is a poor leader of men who does not inspire Loyalty.

9 minutes ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Also Tywins words are relevant to Daenerys

• She gets mad when Jon does not refer to her as his Queen
  • The need tell Jon she is the rightful Queen of the seven kingdoms and that he is basically now in open rebellion.
  • She is portrayed much like Joffrey.
  • Her response to her father burning his family alive was 'I ask you to forgive me, now bend the knee'
  • She is a poor leader of men who does not inspire Loyalty.

It is pretty clear you are watching a different show or reading different books because these "points" are just silly.

The North is in open rebellion to the crown, that is a fact.  

She is portrayed nothing at all like Joffrey. lol.

She apologized for the sins of her father, this is a bad thing?

Finally, she inspires more loyalty among men than anyone else in the story.  

Like seriously, are you even watching the show?

14 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

It is pretty clear you are watching a different show or reading different books because these "points" are just silly.

But, she doesn't even have the crown? How is he in open rebellion to her? He doesn't know anything about her or who she is?

she apologized about her father but still holds Jon for a vow that his ancestors did? And how was there years of peace under it?

the mereenese also disagree with the loyalty part 

21 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I would say Daenerys and Jon are fairly close when it comes to inspiring men in the story, although they do so in different way. 

I agree with you that by declaring Jon King of the North, the Northern Lords basically once again announced their independence (just as they did when they named Robb KiTN) and their refusal to acknowledge the person on the Iron Throne as their ruler.

Essentially, they are not rebelling against the crown, that would be if they were trying to replace Cersei with someone else on the IT, which is not the case. 

The North is simply recognising a different entity as being the crown for them and declaring the Iron Throne as having no sovereignty and right to rule over the North.

1 hour ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Jon is not as accomplished as Daenerys.  Daenerys is truthfully, Daenerys the Great.  She is responsible for the millions of former slaves who now have their freedom.  She brought the Dothraki across the Narrow Sea and radically changed their culture and their ways of life.  Jon is not her equal.  

Jon came across as immature, bad-mannered, and a rube during that meeting.  Dany showed grace and class.  

Uh grace and class? Not sure where that came from. She essentially broke the rules of hospitality by making jon and his men prisoners in all but name. They came in peace and she essentially improsened them and only was willing to help jon with anything because she now lost all her allies in westero's. I agree jon came off weak and kit really needs to learn not to constantly slouch but dany came of as an arrogant person essentially saying this is mine!

15 minutes ago, Gaz0680 said:

I would say Daenerys and Jon are fairly close when it comes to inspiring men in the story, although they do so in different way. 

I agree with you that by declaring Jon King of the North, the Northern Lords basically once again announced their independence (just as they did when they named Robb KiTN) and their refusal to acknowledge the person on the Iron Throne as their ruler.

Essentially, they are not rebelling against the crown, that would be if they were trying to replace Cersei with someone else on the IT, which is not the case. 

The North is simply recognising a different entity as being the crown for them and declaring the Iron Throne as having no sovereignty and right to rule over the North.

well technically that is rebeliing. When the south decided to leave the US they were rebelling and the north is doing the same thing in game of thrones. Not saying the northern lords aren't justified since they have essentially been screwed over by two of the last three rulers on the iron thrones. The mad king killed two starks and joff beheaded ned stark and then the lannisters helped with the red wedding. Tommen was only in power for less then a year and he was essentially a crown and nothing else since everyone else did everything for him. And I still think robert was a jerk for coming to winterfell and asking ned to be hand. Robert had brought a ton of people with him and ned refusing would have been seen as a slap in the face since they had travelled so far. So basically the north has not really had a good run with the iron throne.

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Davo's didn't do well in that scene admittdely. He should have said "this is jon snow the king of the north." But dany's list of titles is ridiculously long and getting annoying. I think that if davos had introduced jon snow like that then jon would have come off looking far better since dany's sounded like someone who needs their ego stroked.

2 hours ago, snow is the man said:

Uh grace and class? Not sure where that came from. She essentially broke the rules of hospitality by making jon and his men prisoners in all but name. They came in peace and she essentially improsened them and only was willing to help jon with anything because she now lost all her allies in westero's. I agree jon came off weak and kit really needs to learn not to constantly slouch but dany came of as an arrogant person essentially saying this is mine!

:agree: 

Neither of them came off great in that scene.

Archived