If you could only follow the storyline of 2 characters

Feologild

I think for me it would be Jon and Dany. Seems a little obvious, but their two character progressions are similar in a sense and we often get the feeling that they are leading to meet in the middle.

With Dany you would get everything that happened in Essos as she built her army to eventually travel west and fight for the Iron Throne, as well as the mythical re-entry of dragons to the world. With Jon you would get everything in the north and beyond the wall. We'd see, as he has, that the main threat to the world isn't some terrible monarch on the Iron Throne, it is the re-entry of the mythical Others and the coming of winter.

Although perhaps not as essential to the overall plot as certain others, admittedly I would likely go for Arya and Sansa in a heartbeat if I had to choose. I'm just way too invested into both of their characters and not witnessing how their arcs end would haunt me until the end of my days. 

I was thinking about this earlier actually. Probably Jon and Arya. I see Jordan's logic for reading Dany, but everything that happens in Essos is... kind of boring. And Dany's perspective is kind of annoying. It feels like wandering through my own red waste.

But with Jon, things that matter happen. With Arya, it's just an enjoyable read.

If I could pick a third I'd probably go for Tyrion, just because you find out a lot about the political side of things and he can be amusing, but I'm re-reading aSoS at the moment and I've just realised even he's not that interesting at the moment. He was good as a prisoner and better as Hand, now he's just a bit a boring, especially when we have to suffer through his thoughts of or the presence of Shae.

17 minutes ago, Ser Petyr Parker said:

I was thinking about this earlier actually. Probably Jon and Arya. I see Jordan's logic for reading Dany, but everything that happens in Essos is... kind of boring. And Dany's perspective is kind of annoying. It feels like wandering through my own red waste.

But with Jon, things that matter happen. With Arya, it's just an enjoyable read.

If I could pick a third I'd probably go for Tyrion, just because you find out a lot about the political side of things and he can be amusing, but I'm re-reading aSoS at the moment and I've just realised even he's not that interesting at the moment. He was good as a prisoner and better as Hand, now he's just a bit a boring, especially when we have to suffer through his thoughts of or the presence of Shae.

Yeah, I agree that the stuff with Dany in Essos is pretty boring, so I wouldn't chose Dany for reading pleasure. It would just be that without her POV, we wouldn't really see much from across the Narrow Sea otherwise. Plus, I think when WoW finally comes out, all the more mundane aspects of Dany's POV in Essos will be worth it.

From a personal choice I would agree with Tyrion. His chapters in aGoT and aCoK were probably the most enjoyable of the series, but after he flees Westeros his humorous thoughts and witty one liners are his only saving grace (until he meets Aegon).

Jaime's POV in aSoS was brilliant and a close second for most enjoyable overall to Tyrion in the two previous books, but after that he's been slightly marginalised. 

Despite not liking the character, Catelyn's POV chapters were always a good read as she was usually involved in an important part of the story, or near interesting characters, despite not being interesting herself. Sansa is similar.

Davos is one of my favourites too, purely because I am a Stannis fan and we saw most of Stannis through Davos (and later Jon).

For overall consistency of importance, Jon's chapters are the ones that have kept going from strength to strength.

Oh, I didn't think non-pov characters were on the table. In this case I'd say Brynden and Tywin. Tywin because seeing the WOTFK from his perspective would be interesting and I want to know what's up with Elia's assasination, Tysha and Tyrion's parentage. Brynden because he knows practically everything and I want to see the war of the dawn unfold. 

Ned and Dany. 

Yes, I'd skip the war of the five kings, and the red wedding, and all of Feast. (One person's cloud is another's silver lining).

And I'd miss everything to do with White Walkers, which is kind of the whole point of everything else.

But I would have most of the story of A Game of Thrones - probably enough to stand as a narrative in it's own right. Which is odd because these two are the ones with the least idea of what is going down in A Game of Thrones.

7 minutes ago, Grazdan zo Azer said:

If your two choices are Jon and Dany you will read only about war in Conflict beyond the Wall and Targaryen's campaign in Slaver Bay. Are you not interested in War of Five Kings, main theme until fifth book?

Dany's got news, albeit the news could come quite a while after the fact, about what was going on in the War of the Five Kings. She knew Robert was killed, she knew Stannis and Renly wanted to take the throne and that Balon crowned himself again. From Jon's POV, we got news of what happened to Ned and what happened Robb after he became King in the North and was killed at the red wedding. Without being active in the War of the Five Kings, Jon and Dany were well informed of what happened, which would keep us as readers informed, without actually being seeing what happens.

I just feel these are the two best characters to pick if you want to follow the story from that start and 'probably' right to the end, while also being kept aware of what was going on elsewhere.

Archived