Missandei from Naath

As we've all been caught up in the "no line on the show is wasted", how about Missandei this episode? There are at least two moments that make you raise your eyebrow:

1. Her reluctance to talk about her home to Davos and her accent. I know she was a slave there, but that hardly is a good enough reason for the scene to even exist. She looks totally shady and seems to be hiding something. 

2. Being presented as the "most trusted advisor". In Game of Thrones language, that's nevere good. The more you trust someone, the likelier it is they will betray you.

I know we've talked about Missandei before, in the books context, but could it happen sooner rather than never in the show too?

I'd explain her reluctance to speak about Naath by to things - first, she might not remember it (if taken from there as a baby), second, why would she talk about her home with a stranger that she just met?

I suppose that she was presented as an advisor because it would be awkward to say "hey, this is Miss, she's an eunuch mistress and she is supposed to translate stuff for Dany, which she really doesn't because Dany speaks practically all the languages used in the show, so she was seen as a suitable person to welcome a king"

so I don't think there is something happening behind the scenes.

Missandei is from Naath in the Summer Sea, she was enslaved at a young age and was taken to Slavers Bay in Essos. She was used an interpreter for the a Good Master of Astapor. Missandei speaks 19 languages. This is really all we know about her. 

3 hours ago, Mihai Brasoveanu said:

As we've all been caught up in the "no line on the show is wasted", how about Missandei this episode? There are at least two moments that make you raise your eyebrow:

1. Her reluctance to talk about her home to Davos and her accent. I know she was a slave there, but that hardly is a good enough reason for the scene to even exist. She looks totally shady and seems to be hiding something. 

3 hours ago, Mihai Brasoveanu said:

2. Being presented as the "most trusted advisor". In Game of Thrones language, that's nevere good. The more you trust someone, the likelier it is they will betray you.

1. I thought it was pretty pointless too, again previously all scenes mean something but lately some scenes are having no reference what soever. I thought it was very strange her ignorance to Davos and that she didnt want to talk to him. She never confirmed what Davos said in anyway, it was like she didnt actually know.
  2. As Jorah was before he betrayed her. Unfortunately Im not sure how she is going to betray her or why?

If anything is plausible Missandei could possibly be a Faceless man that actually supports Daenerys suppression of Slavers due to Faceless men being originated from slaves who plotted against their masters. Unfortunately alot of the evidence is from the books, other than really not knowing about her history, the fact she always calls her self 'This one' and could argue about her understanding of 19 languages. There isnt any real proof in the shows to support this idea. 

My husband thought Davos' interaction with her was his sad attempt to hit on her. I don't think Davos is that kind of guy, but he's generally a friendly guy and was just trying to strike up a conversation.

I think people may want to read something into it b/c of the book portrayal of Missandei, which is a much more mysterious character. The tv show Missandei has been portrayed in a much more straight-forward manner than the book character. So I took her statement moreso along the lines of being uncomfortable talking about something for which she likely doesn't have many memories and she doesn't know Davos and she's a pretty stand-offish character anyway.

30 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I think people might be reading way way too much into things. lol

Wayyy too much. 

Missandei is not a character known for her small talk abilities. Her behaviour is always very composed and professional. She has just met Davos whom she doesn't know, she doesn't even know if this man and the man he accompanies (Jon) can be trusted. She may also be somewhat worried for her queen's safety. Also, she was most likely taken from Naath when she was a baby or a few years old tops, so what is there to remember and to say about this place? If she had a birth certificate, it would state Naath as her place of origin, but she didn't grow up there so it was never her home, no more than the slavers were her family. 

25 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I think people might be reading way way too much into things. lol

From the Show definitely yes, I personally think its nothing more or less than she actually appreciates Daenerys for saving her and all the slaves she freed to and she is showing her gratitude by staying by her side. Simples

3 minutes ago, Mother of Mini Dragons said:

My husband thought Davos' interaction with her was his sad attempt to hit on her. I don't think Davos is that kind of guy, but he's generally a friendly guy and was just trying to strike up a conversation.

I think people may want to read something into it b/c of the book portrayal of Missandei, which is a much more mysterious character. The tv show Missandei has been portrayed in a much more straight-forward manner than the book character. So I took her statement moreso along the lines of being uncomfortable talking about something for which she likely doesn't have many memories and she doesn't know Davos and she's a pretty stand-offish character anyway.

Davos was definitely not hitting on her, it was just an ice breaker type conversation of which Missandei did not reply to. Again the book character referencing is completely pointless here, Missandei is a ten year old child in the books and her character bears none or minimal resemblance to TV show Missandei.

Well the next statement was from Davos telling Jon, "This place has changed." So, it could just be a quick convo to highlight how much everything is changing in Dragonstone and Westeros in general. Because Jon and Davos were literally met by a group of Dothraki, a Lannister Dwarf who is hand to the Targaryan Queen, and told the "most trusted advisor" to the potential future Queen is a foreigner.  Compared to a couple years ago, where Davos and Stannis hung out with Westorosi men and burned a couple guys every other day because a red priest told them.

It was weird.  When we met her Missy was doing instant diplomatic translations for the slavers to Dany....and now, for some reason, she can't exchange pleasantries, but has to cut off the conversation awkwardly like that?  LOL.

It's probably meaningless and just another of the many examples of poor writing in the show, but Missy usually is able to come with diplomatic language.

8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It was weird.  When we met her Missy was doing instant diplomatic translations for the slavers to Dany....and now, for some reason, she can't exchange pleasantries, but has to cut off the conversation awkwardly like that?  LOL.

It's probably meaningless and just another of the many examples of poor writing in the show, but Missy usually is able to come with diplomatic language.

Agreed, it was just plain weird, pointless I think. Shes went from being this very professional and well spoken woman to Im not really interested in what you've got to say so ill just smile and ignore. Maybe she didn't feel comfortable just saying ''Im sorry I cant remember it as I was a very young child when I left'' she does not need to go into any detail. 

As said once again very poor writing in the show and a lack of thought. Pretty much just like the rest of the episode.

51 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

There has often been theories from the book that there is more to her than meets the eye but I have seen nothing in the show to suggest that.

But there could be a myriad of reasons why she didn't want to engage in small talk.  I guess the obvious would be it's too painful for her to talk about (although as you correctly point out if she was diplomatic she would simply change the subject).

To me it all seemed as a really clumsy attempt at small talk on Davos' side, not him hitting on Missandei or attempting to check whether she is who she claims to be. Mostly because in my own experience as someone speaking with the accent the same "where are you from?" question is what 90% of people ask as an ice-breaker. Which is why I'm 100% with Missandei: no offence, Davos, but she's probably sick of answering the same question for the 17838864th time.

I think the scene fell flat because the actress who plays Missandei is wooden and generally not very good. The long and short of it: Davos is being characteristically fatherly and trying to break the ice, but Missandei feels uncomfortable discussing her past as a former slave. I don’t think there is any subtext.

12 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

She's worried about her hubby Greyworm, because how else can they excuse that pointlessly drawn-out, cringy-as-fuck scene between them in the previous episode?

18 hours ago, S. OF HOUSE STARK said:

I think the scene fell flat because the actress who plays Missandei is wooden and generally not very good. The long and short of it: Davos is being characteristically fatherly and trying to break the ice, but Missandei feels uncomfortable discussing her past as a former slave. I don’t think there is any subtext.

Glad someone pointed this out.

She is a TERRIBLE actress

They really would have been better omitting the line for Davos noticing her accent and pointing out his own, because it only brings the problems with the accents in the show to the forefront.

Missandei was born in Naarth and raised in Astapor. Daenerys was born in Dragonstone and grey up all over Essos. Arya and Sansa were born and raised in Winterfell in the north of Westeros yet they all have the same accents. Jon and Robb have different accents to Bran and Rickon. There are many other characters who share the same accents but born and raised in completely different places, but this is just a few examples.

My take on that scene was that Miss was not going to engage in personal small-talk with the other king's trusted advisor because he may or may not be trying to soften her up so as to compromise her loyalty to her own queen. She's seasoned enough to keep it professional because she knows that neutral camps, and even allies, can become enemies at the drop of a hat.

On 8/1/2017 at 8:29 AM, Littler Finger said:

because she isnt really from there (reluctance to talk about it) and is actually the one sabotaging Dany from inside the camp (most trusted advisor).  she's up to something, possibly with varys.

I would LOVE this to be true.

On 8/1/2017 at 9:31 AM, Nerevanin said:

I'd explain her reluctance to speak about Naath by to things - first, she might not remember it (if taken from there as a baby), second, why would she talk about her home with a stranger that she just met?

I suppose that she was presented as an advisor because it would be awkward to say "hey, this is Miss, she's an eunuch mistress and she is supposed to translate stuff for Dany, which she really doesn't because Dany speaks practically all the languages used in the show, so she was seen as a suitable person to welcome a king"

so I don't think there is something happening behind the scenes.

I believe this to be true.

Archived