David Fincher’s Mindhunter (Netflix)

AncalagonTheBlack

I watched ep 1 but am not feeling any strong motivation to continue.  The period setting and atmosphere feels very well done but the main character is so boring, his relationship feels so implausible and the dialogue is clunky.  The post-Hoover FBI lagging so far behind the cultural zeitgeist feels real but isn't enough to propel the show, and I'm not sure that the pseudo-science of profiling psychopathic serial killers is novel enough to make it all that interesting -- hasn't that been done in a bazillion procedurals?

It's best features are similar to Mad Men, but so far doesn't have similar quality in the characters and writing.

25 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I watched ep 1 but am not feeling any strong motivation to continue.  The period setting and atmosphere feels very well done but the main character is so boring, his relationship feels so implausible and the dialogue is clunky.  The post-Hoover FBI lagging so far behind the cultural zeitgeist feels real but isn't enough to propel the show, and I'm not sure that the pseudo-science of profiling psychopathic serial killers is novel enough to make it all that interesting -- hasn't that been done in a bazillion procedurals?

It's best features are similar to Mad Men, but so far doesn't have similar quality in the characters and writing.

First episode is by far the worst. My suggestion is to try the second before giving up. It gets really good by the third and continues the rest of the way. 

The reason why this is different is because this isn't just about profiling serial killers, it's about how the whole science came about. That hasn't been done before.

On 26/10/2017 at 0:12 AM, Iskaral Pust said:

Yeah it took me a bit to figure out if I thought the show was good or not, I went in assuming it must be some HBO level masterwork. What a surprise when I found out how clunky the dialogue was. That first episode where he flirts with her in a bar.. I thought there must be something wrong with me, maybe I wasn't watching it right. But no. Turns out its just pretty badly written. 

I gave up after the first episode. I've not read anything that would convince me to go back either.

3 hours ago, Eggegg said:

Yeah it took me a bit to figure out if I thought the show was good or not, I went in assuming it must be some HBO level masterwork. What a surprise when I found out how clunky the dialogue was. That first episode where he flirts with her in a bar.. I thought there must be something wrong with me, maybe I wasn't watching it right. But no. Turns out its just pretty badly written. 

I gave up after the first episode. I've not read anything that would convince me to go back either.

Your loss. Almost everyone has said it gets better after a clunky first episode. I thought it was great.

17 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

So the writing improves dramatically after that first episode? 

Not in my eyes. I thought it was a fairly mediocre show all the way through; what it had in atmosphere, it lacked in interesting writing and compelling character interactions. Just my 2c. 

2 hours ago, Eggegg said:

So the writing improves dramatically after that first episode? 

It was better than that. The Debbie/Ford relationship is the worst part of the show (and stays that way) but at least in the rest of the season you get some interesting interactions with serial killers, Anna Torv and some investigations. The first episode was so meh compared to everything else.

Finished it. I enjoyed it overall and have much the same sentiments as everyone else. First episode was definitely the weakest. Much like Narcos, I do wonder how much is fact versus fiction. The Kemper interviews online were particularly fascinating. Holden was certainly the weakest part of the show.

Spoiler

The last scene in particular was really weak. Holden is clinically stonefaced throughout the entire series up until that final moment when he's visibly shaking in front of Kemper. I get what they were trying to do but it felt like overacting and too forced. Also, the principal storyline was uninteresting to me and I felt it was completely unnecessary.  

Question: was there any resolution to the cat in Carr's laundry room? It seemed so pointless and I can't imagine where they're trying to go with it unless there's some cat murdering kid in her apartment complex (an idea which I'm not a fan of).  

• 5 weeks later...

I watched the entire season and it drew me in. David Fincher almost always produces stories that while I'm never excited about I'm interested all the way through when I begin watching.

just in case we're still doing spoilers?

Spoiler

The only thing is I was kind of pissed off with the last episode. In this modern era of series program viewing, I've grown used to all the programs I watch now GOT, Better Call Saul, Fargo, Stranger Things, Sense8, Sneaky Pete, etc. to either be one tight story season per season with a resolution at each end (Fargo) or maybe a tight story mostly resolved or resolved but with with a bit of a cliffhanger or next season set up (Stranger Things, Sneaky Pete) or an overall series spanning arc but each season while setting up for next season and/or having a cliffhanger there's still within each season a part of the story that has its own theme with its own introduction, progression, and resolution (GOT, Better Call Saul, Sense8).

Mindhunter just felt like it ended in the middle. I was like "That's it?" The last episode of the season felt like the ending of any other episode of the season. It just didn't feel like a stopping off point. Maybe Fincher did it on purpose to contribute to the unsettling mood and theme of the entire series, but if that's the case I'd call it a cheap trick. Either way, I didn't care for how the season ended.

On 10/30/2017 at 7:29 AM, Mexal said:

It was better than that. The Debbie/Ford relationship is the worst part of the show (and stays that way) but at least in the rest of the season you get some interesting interactions with serial killers, Anna Torv and some investigations. The first episode was so meh compared to everything else.

Totally agree. I read the book and when I came upon this series I was pretty excited. It's a bit of an interest of mine - serial killers and profiling. The only part that did not interest me at all was the Debbie/Ford relationship.

Def looking forward to s2.

• 1 month later...

So it's known that season 2 will be taking a look at the Atlanta child murders. Right now there's a podcast going on called 'Atlanta Monster' about that case, and it's been pretty good so far in case anybody is interested. I'm curious to see how it's gonna be covered in the show since it is a pretty controversial case to many.

Archived