u.s. politics: is this purity test covered under my obamacare?

10 minutes ago, Yukle said:

I did see that. The fact that his security are no longer within close reach, but in a caravan nearby, doesn't exactly break my heart.

Not that I'm advocating anyone to murder him, that wouldn't solve anything.

Yeah, if that ends up biting him on the ass, I'm not going to lose any sleep.

1 minute ago, James Arryn said:

Getting a bit creepy here, guys.

Indeed.  And, to be fair to Trump, August vacations are pretty damn common for presidents.  Granted, he may be the first to gauge his staff, but let's just cool it.

9 hours ago, Yukle said:

But I assume that they must spend a great deal of their day reminding him not to put forks into toasters, to step away from the balcony, not to microwave his phone to charge it, to take the batteries out of his mouth, to wash his hands after using the loo, to tie his shoes so he doesn't trip, not to run by the pool, not to kick next door's dog when it barks...

LOL.   Well done.

On 8/4/2017 at 5:29 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Agreed. This guy clearly breaks the mold.Has there ever been a more incompetent President?   

If I might offer an observation, he did manage to defeat a bunch of seasoned politicians most of whom were lawyers by training  In the Republican Party to get the nomination and he did  manage to  defeat Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton who also had  very high powered credentials.  Those he overcame were touted as being the best and the brightest. It leaves us with the question of what did the voters see in him that they didn't seem to see in the others? 

Wait, what?  How mean is this?

Consumer groups are making a last ditch effort to stop the Trump administration from stripping nursing home residents and their families of the right to take facilities to court over alleged abuse, neglect or sexual assault.

The Centers for Medicare & Medicare Services (CMS) announced plans in June to do away with an Obama-era rule that prohibited nursing homes that accept Medicare or Medicaid funds from including language in their resident contracts requiring that disputes be settled by a third party rather than a court.

Taking people's ability to sue these places for abuses is not good policy, and seems to be pretty mean.  And then there is this; Jamaica Hospital Opens $44 million Trump Pavilion for Nursing and Rehabilitation

While I couldn't find out if Trump has any financial dealing with this place, it does look bad. 

50 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

If I might offer an observation, he did manage to defeat a bunch of seasoned politicians most of whom were lawyers by training  In the Republican Party to get the nomination and he did  manage to  defeat Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton who also had  very high powered credentials.  Those he overcame were touted as being the best and the brightest. It leaves us with the question of what did the voters see in him that they didn't seem to see in the others? 

He comforted and feed people dark impulses. He ran right on thr Right Wing radio formula. He offered easy and scapegoats. Demagouges have been successful. The "Mainstream Republican made their Faustian bargain and got Goursch.

13 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I have to say I'm enjoying Donnie Two Scoops vacation already. A much needed respite from the news of the absurd.

Richard Blumenthal appears on tv news.

11 hours ago, Yukle said:

I did see that. The fact that his security are no longer within close reach, but in a caravan nearby, doesn't exactly break my heart.

But I assume that they must spend a great deal of their day reminding him not to put forks into toasters, to step away from the balcony, not to microwave his phone to charge it, to take the batteries out of his mouth, to wash his hands after using the loo, to tie his shoes so he doesn't trip, not to run by the pool, not to kick next door's dog when it barks...

It's a lot to look after him. He'll be ready for his big-boy nappies soon and with the SS really close by to help him out, maybe one will be a bit late in the change of shifts, who knows what he might get up to?

Do you really think that Trump has ever used a toaster or a microwave himself? Certainly he's had some sort of servant or flunky to do that for him. And it's highly unlikely he has a "next door" neighbor at all, (I can't imagine his apartment in Trump Tower doesn't cover at least an entire floor) so kicking the barking dog is also not something they have to worry about. 

Making America's Trade Really Not So Great!

Meanwhile, a bloc of four Latin-American countries—Mexico, Peru, Chile and Colombia, known as the Pacific Alliance—is quickly becoming the leading force for free trade in the region, announcing near the end of June it would commence its own negotiations with New Zealand, Australia and Singapore, heedless of its neighbor to the north.

On its own, Australia, which in 2015 cut a deal to undersell the United States in beef exports to Japan, announced another round of scheduled tariff cuts with Japan. Without the TPP, Australian ranchers eventually will enjoy a 19 percent tariff advantage over U.S. competitors. Australia is also prioritizing the conclusion of trade talks with Indonesia, the largest nation in Southeast Asia by gross domestic product.

The remaining 11 TPP countries have already met two times, with a third meeting planned, to move ahead with the revival of the deal without the United States. The so-called TPP-11 would be in direct response to Trump’s trade policy. Economic forecasts already show projected gains for countries involved. Canada, according to one estimate, could permanently gain an annual market share of $412 million in beef and $111 million in pork sales to Japan by 2035, because lower tariffs would enable it to eclipse America’s position in the market.

Shocker!   (ok, not so much)

6 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Do you really think that Trump has ever used a toaster or a microwave himself? Certainly he's had some sort of servant or flunky to do that for him. And it's highly unlikely he has a "next door" neighbor at all, (I can't imagine his apartment in Trump Tower doesn't cover at least an entire floor) so kicking the barking dog is also not something they have to worry about. 

Gee, have you never read a bit of political satire, humor or snark about Trump before?   Srsly, Yukle's bit of satire was pretty good I thought and a funny read.  Why come down so hard on him?

1 hour ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Gee, have you never read a bit of political satire, humor or snark about Trump before?   Srsly, Yukle's bit of satire was pretty good I thought and a funny read.  Why come down so hard on him?

Coming down hard on Yukie? I thought I was coming down hard on Trump. I am not criticizing Yukie's writing ability, just pointing out some places where his satire is a bit further from reality than others.

9 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Coming down hard on Yukie? I thought I was coming down hard on Trump. I am not criticizing Yukie's writing ability, just pointing out some places where his satire is a bit further from reality than others.

Why?

6 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

He comforted and feed people dark impulses. He ran right on thr Right Wing radio formula. He offered easy and scapegoats. Demagouges have been successful. The "Mainstream Republican made their Faustian bargain and got Goursch.

The Democrats are really no better then the the Republicans and they too make Faustian bargains .They made some serious  tactical blunders like, losing the working class vote which for some inescapable  reason they took for granted. This perceived aloofness really didn't help them at all.   Their best chance of winning was Bernie Sanders. Like Trump, he too had populist appeal with alot of those same voters  and It is conceivable that had The Democrats backed Sanders instead of Clinton , he might  have beaten Trump in the Presidential. election. Sanders would have paid attention to all the important little details like last  minute campaigning  in the States  that were tossups or too close to call , where Democratic support was at its most uncertain. He would have  taken the necessary steps   to try to address those problems .  Hillary Clinton lost because she failed to do any of this, because she made the assumption that the election was in the bag. 

3 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Those he overcame were touted as being the best and the brightest. It leaves us with the question of what did the voters see in him that they didn't seem to see in the others? 

Ironically enough, I think it was a type of honesty (at least in terms of expression and speech, not in actual content) that many voters responded to. Admittedly he is a much better campaigner than he is an actual executive.

13 hours ago, Yukle said:

It's a lot to look after him. He'll be ready for his big-boy nappies soon and with the SS really close by to help him out, maybe one will be a bit late in the change of shifts, who knows what he might get up to?

Guys -- from the gitgo he hired his own body guards.  He never trusted the Secret Service to protect him.  But it was a grand income stream into his own pocket to have the SS / taxpayers in general -- and particularly in NYC -- renting and paying for their digs in HIS properties in Manhattan.

8 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

The Democrats are really no better then the the Republics and they too make Faustian bargains of their own.  They're also no wiser then Republicans, their best chance winning was Bernie Sanders.  Like Trump he too had populist appeal and It is conceivable that he might  have beaten Trump in the election. 

I did not say the Democrats were better than Republicans. You asked what voters saw and I provided my observation.

A whole lot of his rhetoric matched what the Right Wing was spouting for decades so it gave the image of him being one of them.

1 minute ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

I did not say the Democrats were better than Republicans. You asked what voters saw and I provided my observation.

A whole lot of his rhetoric matched what the Right Wing was spouting for decades so it gave the image of him being one of them.

Fair enough . 

Archived