u.s. politics: is this purity test covered under my obamacare?

19 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

You get the impression that if Russia happened to kill a bunch of US soldiers Trump would thank Putin for cutting his payroll as well

Yeah at this point you have to start wondering if those golden shower tapes DO exist. Or the alleged audio of Trump asking Putin to interfere in the election in exchange for getting rid of the sanctions.

20 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Yeah at this point you have to start wondering if those golden shower tapes DO exist. Or the alleged audio of Trump asking Putin to interfere in the election in exchange for getting rid of the sanctions.

Nah, this was just Trump's attempt at looking like he actually came out on top and outsmarted his enemy. But what a pathetic attempt. And he seems incredibly oblivious to how suspect he comes off to a lot of people.

33 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Oh for FUCKS SAKE!!! Ugh, has this happened before?

In terms of declaring martial law?  Sure, most famously during the Civil War Lincoln imposed martial law (with Congressional approval) and suspended habeas corpus.  Here's a link that includes other examples of martial law being imposed throughout history.  In terms of suspending an election?  Not that I'm aware of.  Marital law, it should be noted, has been limited by court decisions and the 1878 Posse Comitatus Act - which severely limits the power of the president to use the military to enforce domestic policies. 

53 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

You get the impression that if Russia happened to kill a bunch of US soldiers Trump would thank Putin for cutting his payroll as well

I was thinking of much more lurid ways to describe how Trump would thank Putin for anything...

7 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Nah, this was just Trump's attempt at looking like he actually came out on top and outsmarted his enemy. But what a pathetic attempt. And he seems incredibly oblivious to how suspect he comes off to a lot of people.

Yep, considering his experience in doing so, it is indeed quite pathetic how bad he is at spinning failure into victory.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

"I don't like soldiers that get themselves killed. " Something along those lines would be said, or at the very least a thought that crosses his mind.

1 hour ago, Trebla said:

Trump has thanked  Putin for expelling the 700+  diplomats http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/346108-trump-thanks-putin-for-expelling-us-diplomats-we-want-to-reduce-our

Gee, nice to know that the Kremlin is making personnel decisions for the United States! 

They just have the pull the strings and the puppet dances for them.

4 hours ago, Inigima said:

I do read him occasionally. I think he is well-meaning, like I said. And I don't think people are usually simply good/bad. But I also don't think you get to just nullify your previous bad decisions and I think that If you are frequently wrong it should hurt your credibility, particularly if you are a professional opinion-giver. (See also: Bill Kristol.)

I wonder what Stannis Baratheon would do with him to make him suffer the consequences for the bad things and also recognise the good thing?

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

Trumps followers are spinning his 'thanking Putin' statement as a literal joke on Trumps part.

Sure, because 700 people losing their jobs and a foreign govt expelling diplomatic staff is hilarious.

14 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Marital law, it should be noted, has been limited by court decisions and the 1878 Posse Comitatus Act - which severely limits the power of the president to use the military to enforce domestic policies. 

Your naivety is adorable. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Trump isn't going to try imposing martial law, or rather, if he did, it would fail; and would probably lead to a coup led by the quite heavily armed DCPD and the capitol police.

ETA: Also the DC national guard, but they're pretty incompetent.

15 hours ago, Trebla said:

Trump has thanked  Putin for expelling the 700+  diplomats http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/346108-trump-thanks-putin-for-expelling-us-diplomats-we-want-to-reduce-our

Gee, nice to know that the Kremlin is making personnel decisions for the United States! 

What a moron.... we pay those people whether or not they are in Russia

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Trump isn't going to try imposing martial law, or rather, if he did, it would fail; and would probably lead to a coup led by the quite heavily armed DCPD and the capitol police.

ETA: Also the DC national guard, but they're pretty incompetent.

Sure, I agree for the most part. But my point was it's silly to think that Supreme Court precedent would matter if he tried to do. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

For reporting basic facts?  Or for thinking anything has limited marital law what with everybody marrying everybody these days?

Archived