u.s. politics: is this purity test covered under my obamacare?

36 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

For reporting basic facts?  Or for thinking anything has limited marital law what with everybody marrying everybody these days?

For believing that Trump would respect precedent if he declared martial law to suspend an election. That scenario is highly unlikely, but if it were to happen, all bets are off, and the courts wouldn't matter. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

For believing that Trump would respect precedent if he declared martial law to suspend an election. That scenario is highly unlikely, but if it were to happen, all bets are off, and the courts wouldn't matter. 

Oh....Wait what?  I was answering a question on the history of martial law.  In that case, um, yeah.  Stare decisis really doesn't matter in the moment since the key facet of martial law is shutting down the courts.  I don't really get how I'm being the naive one when we're talking about Trump imposing martial law to suspend an election.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Trump isn't going to try imposing martial law, or rather, if he did, it would fail; and would probably lead to a coup led by the quite heavily armed DCPD and the capitol police.

ETA: Also the DC national guard, but they're pretty incompetent.

Both Lincoln and FDR were determined that elections be held as usual despite the current military crises. These were votes of confidence for the USA and its leadership, so to speak.

Among other positives continuing to hold elections showed the voters and other countries that the US was still a stable, functional entity that could be counted on to protect and defend its borders and citizens, and continue with a government's role, such, as in the War of the Rebellion, homesteading the public lands, creating public land grant colleges, creating the first unitary national currency, etc. as well as effectively emancipating the enslaved and abolishing slavery.

It's never happened that elections were canceled in the US, except now, of course we've got a so-called potus who even has a base that thinks it's a dandy idea:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/08/poll-half-of-gopers-open-to-postponing-of-2020-elections.html

And, hmmm, by the way, what about the mystery sonic weapon that interfered with the hearing of some USians and a Canadian in Havana back in 2016?  Do not think it was the Cuban government because that's not how they roll -- nor have they the resources to build such a thing --  but the Russians do. And the Russians back in Cuba, from where they departed way back in 1990 - 91.  They are so much closer to their orange puppet there -- and it was during their meddling with the 2016 US elections in every way (and not only the presidental election, but more local ones too).  And what better to do for their boy than undo President Obama's 2015 opening of Cuban - US economic, political and cultural relations?

38 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Oh....Wait what?  I was answering a question on the history of martial law.  In that case, um, yeah.  Stare decisis really doesn't matter in the moment since the key facet of martial law is shutting down the courts.  I don't really get how I'm being the naive one when we're talking about Trump imposing martial law to suspend an election.

I guess it doesn't matter since we were talking about slightly different things.  Anyways, Fez already posted this in the North Korea thread, but it should be posted here too:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/895970429734711298

I love how Trump said yesterday he wants to "de-nuke" the world.  I hope someone bothers to brief him on the 40 year international effort to do just that.  Or at least teach him the word "non-proliferation."  I guess educating him on the NPT is too much to ask...maybe just have him read the wikipedia page.  Not the whole thing, of course, just the intro summary.  Quick!  Someone go edit it and put Trump's name in there!

26 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

I love how Trump said yesterday he wants to "de-nuke" the world.  I hope someone bothers to brief him on the 40 year international effort to do just that.  Or at least teach him the word "non-proliferation."  I guess educating him on the NPT is too much to ask...maybe just have him read the wikipedia page.  Not the whole thing, of course, just the intro summary.  Quick!  Someone go edit it and put Trump's name in there!

and get it down to, uh say, 5-6 single line bullet points

Well, let me try.

I had a call with Mr. Putin yesterday. It was a great call, and Putin is a tremendous guy. Can you believe it? We talked a lot. And we made a fantastic deal. We will get rid of all the nukes, believe me. And he reminded me of my campaign promise America First.

If it's not trumpy enough, add huge, fantastic, great, tremendous at some random moment.Or include his electoral college win.

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

Can you really imagine Trump trying to say "non-proliferation"?

Besides, everybody knows that everybody says de-nuke. It's a great word and very smart.

For once, he really did come up with this one. Lol

I'll just drop this right here.

https://theoutline.com/post/2079/things-are-bad-and-david-frum-makes-them-worse

The neocons’ strategic retreat from the smoldering wreckage they created was a clever gambit, in many ways reminiscent of a classic insurance scam. Like an insurance scam, it can be wildly successful when carried out with adequate skill and commitment — and no one is more committed than David Frum, the George W. Bush speechwriter who introduced America to the “axis of evil.”

Archived