What if Euron became king before Balon?

UFT

He can't be king before Balon. Balon would have had to be king first or died long ago, or there would have had to be a Kingsmoot, which apparently hadn't been done in ages. And even if there was, I don't think Euron would have a better case than Balon. 

But about the same most likely. Maybe be more ambitious. 

Interesting question.  Depends on when Euron's metaphysical realization occurred. Euron's general contempt for his people and his culture is tied into his larger belief that he can ascend to godhood, which seems to have blossomed during his exile (or at least on his voyages east).  If his actions and attitudes in the Greyjoy Rebellion are any indication, he would have been a smarter Balon - very into the reaving and satisfaction of personal pleasure through violence and rapine, into the semi-mythical Old Way just as Balon is.  Balon, of course, is bar none the dumbest character (in terms of personal and political intelligence) in the series, so Euron would certainly be a bigger threat to Westeros, but again, the threat the modern day ironborn can pose to anyone is quite limited.

Euron's importance to the story and danger to the protagonists is tied to his experiences in the east and the fact that he aspires to something more than the Iron Throne, and subsequently is prepared to sacrifice a LOT more to get what he wants.

• 5 months later...

Ignoring that Euron might not be guaranteed a victory in a kingsmoot set earlier in the story, he'd basically just be a far smarter and far more dangerous Balon; raiding and reaving for personal pleasure and gain but with less real belief in the 'Old Way'. Where Balon seems to fanatically worship this way, Euron would just use it as a tool. 

But anyway I don't doubt that Euron would decide to hit the ripe and rich Westerlands and Reach during the early stages of Wo5K's. Possibly even ally with Robb; though almost certainly betray him later.

Nothing says gathering forces more to me than the magic in our story.   Euron needed his exile and travels to become what he is.   I'm not sure he would have had the time to gain the experience, perhaps knowledge and skill, to make his play for greatness.  Surely he knows all the same things everyone else on the Iron Islands knows, but his knowledge has been increased and corrupted, by the looks of it.  I don't think his story is necessarily a little King of the Iron Islands story by a long shot.

On 8/2/2017 at 8:42 AM, cpg2016 said:

Interesting question.  Depends on when Euron's metaphysical realization occurred. Euron's general contempt for his people and his culture is tied into his larger belief that he can ascend to godhood, which seems to have blossomed during his exile (or at least on his voyages east).  If his actions and attitudes in the Greyjoy Rebellion are any indication, he would have been a smarter Balon - very into the reaving and satisfaction of personal pleasure through violence and rapine, into the semi-mythical Old Way just as Balon is.  Balon, of course, is bar none the dumbest character (in terms of personal and political intelligence) in the series, so Euron would certainly be a bigger threat to Westeros, but again, the threat the modern day ironborn can pose to anyone is quite limited.

Euron's importance to the story and danger to the protagonists is tied to his experiences in the east and the fact that he aspires to something more than the Iron Throne, and subsequently is prepared to sacrifice a LOT more to get what he wants.

Totally agree. The key to Euron is the the opening of his "Third Eye."

Archived