Jon Targaryen teases continue...

D&D are having a field day with the Jon Targaryen teases. IMO they are beating us over the head with them a bit but whatever...

1. Jon says "I'm not a Stark" which leads to one of Daenerys' dragons swooping over the head. (Couldn't really tell but I'm assuming it would be Rhaegel, named after Jon's father)

2. Daenerys says "I am the last Targaryen" to Jon, secretly another Targaryen.

3. Daenerys tells Jon that she named two of her dragons after her brothers, one being Rhaegar Jon's father.

4. Jon says he doesn't like doing what he's good at, killing, straight parallel to Rhaegar who Barristan said never liked killing.

Anymore I missed?

1 hour ago, Future Null Infinity said:

Yes, they are teasing Jon is a Targ.

D&D can go to hell with their cheap tricks, "I'm not a Stark" made my head spinning, it's not in his story nor in his character to say such thing, they just throw the biggest part of his story out of the window.

In the first episode, Jon already "mentioned" that he is no Stark. "Five wolves for five Stark children", excluding himself.

3 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:

Yes, they are teasing Jon is a Targ.

D&D can go to hell with their cheap tricks, "I'm not a Stark" made my head spinning, it's not in his story nor in his character to say such thing, they just throw the biggest part of his story out of the window.

Jon also says that he is not a Stark in the books.

I think that Jon stating he was no Stark is consistent with his character, (particularly times he said to Stannis how he always wanted to be a Stark) while also highlighting the difference between being elected as a leader and feeling entitled to be a leader, but the emphasis was a little over the top.  It is going to be awfully strange when Jon starts boning auntie Daenerys.

20 hours ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

D&D are having a field day with the Jon Targaryen teases. IMO they are beating us over the head with them a bit but whatever...

1. Jon says "I'm not a Stark" which leads to one of Daenerys' dragons swooping over the head. (Couldn't really tell but I'm assuming it would be Rhaegel, named after Jon's father)

3. Daenerys tells Jon that she named two of her dragons after her brothers, one being Rhaegar Jon's father.

4. Jon says he doesn't like doing what he's good at, killing, straight parallel to Rhaegar who Barristan said never liked killing.

Anymore I missed?

Whoa wait a minute. If this was supposed to be teasing, it was done very poorly, but I don't really think it was. 

1. Jon always says he isn't a Stark. And if that dragon was purposely intended to be Rhaegal, they should have made that explicit, which they didn't. 

2. Daenerys has seen herself as the last Targaryen since season 1. She has referred to herself as the last dragon multiple times. What's the difference? The hindsight bias that now we know she isn't. 

3. First, the audience needed to be reminded of the dragon's names since they are going to be getting action this season too. Second, there's no additional information. The fact that she is saying this to Jon (since everybody on her team quite obviously knows) is not teasing in itself, imo. This would have been the time for Jon to say "oh, that one almost flew into my head" and Daenerys to say "oh, that's rhaegal, weird, he is usually the calm one". That would have been teasing and justifying the first point. 

4. Who said that's what Jon is good at or that's what Jon referred to? That's certainly not what I thought of first or second or even third as the thing Jon is good at. 

:dunno: 

23 hours ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

It was Rhaegel, the ruby red of his wings was visible as he flew towards the castle.

4 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

I think that Jon stating he was no Stark is consistent with his character, (particularly times he said to Stannis how he always wanted to be a Stark) while also highlighting the difference between being elected as a leader and feeling entitled to be a leader, but the emphasis was a little over the top.  It is going to be awfully strange when Jon starts boning auntie Daenerys.

Agreed. It was one of the first lines, whent hey found the direwolves. I remember that chapter because itw as Bran's POV and Bran picked up on how Jon only said as such so there'd conveniently be enough (before Ghost popped up) for the Stark children and I remember thinking that was pretty observant for such a young kid

7 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Whoa wait a minute. If this was supposed to be teasing, it was done very poorly, but I don't really think it was. 

1. Jon always says he isn't a Stark. And if that dragon was purposely intended to be Rhaegal, they should have made that explicit, which they didn't. 

2. Daenerys has seen herself as the last Targaryen since season 1. She has referred to herself as the last dragon multiple times. What's the difference? The hindsight bias that now we know she isn't. 

3. First, the audience needed to be reminded of the dragon's names since they are going to be getting action this season too. Second, there's no additional information. The fact that she is saying this to Jon (since everybody on her team quite obviously knows) is not teasing in itself, imo. This would have been the time for Jon to say "oh, that one almost flew into my head" and Daenerys to say "oh, that's rhaegal, weird, he is usually the calm one". That would have been teasing and justifying the first point. 

4. Who said that's what Jon is good at or that's what Jon referred to? That's certainly not what I thought of first or second or even third as the thing Jon is good at. 

:dunno: 

1. Yes he has always said he's not a Stark, but the dragon flying over head as soon as he said it was a bit on the head.

2. There is no reason she had to state "I am the last Targaryen" everybody in that room already knows this and doesn't need reminded.

3. Does the audience need reminded? It's been 7 years, if the audience doesn't remember their names by now they never will so no need to even mention the names because the brain dead casuals won't remember five minutes later anyways.

4. No way you can't say this one isn't teasing. He was clearly talking about killing because he's shit at being a ruler and he knows it so he ain't talking about that. Sansa saying "You're good at this" was essentially buttering him up after the stupid comparison she made between him and Joffrey. It was natural so this one I don't mind that much it was a nice parallel.

I'm not really complaining that much about the teases or parallels. I just kind of wanted to make a thread pointing them out tbh.

On ‎3‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 2:47 AM, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

Anymore I missed?

Have to admit I was pretty excited and had a chuckle with your first point whilst watching, my partner didn't pick up on it. I had to pause to explain.

Nice catch on point 4. I didn't notice that one. Im looking forward to the reveal, very keen to watch how it happens. I wondered if Sam will find something in the citadel? He was just given all those old scrolls to go through.

On 2/8/2017 at 1:47 PM, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

Anymore I missed?

Danaerys receives Jon,  sitting on Rhaegar's "throne". Rhaegar was the last official Prince of Dragonstone.

As a side note, I found it weird in a previous ep that when she's told of the presence of a red priest, she goes out to receive her with the people she was with. A very no-royal like attitude, one would think that the proper thing would have been for her to say "Let her come in" or "bring her to me", and not nearly go  herself  to open the door like a doorman. Weirder if you contrast that with the way she receives Jon,

8 hours ago, LucyMormont said:

Danaerys receives Jon,  sitting on Rhaegar's "throne". Rhaegar was the last official Prince of Dragonstone.

As a side note, I found it weird in a previous ep that when she's told of the presence of a red priest, she goes out to receive her with the people she was with. A very no-royal like attitude, one would think that the proper thing would have been for her to say "Let her come in" or "bring her to me", and not nearly go  herself  to open the door like a doorman. Weirder if you contrast that with the way she receives Jon,

Not really weird. Red priestess is nothing (I mean, not a threat or potential ally, also Red Priests helpt in Merreen), while Jon is something completely different - he is called King and he is Stark bastard (remember, she doesn't actually understand the difference between Starks and Lannisters, well in the books she does not), she is told that he has acomplished a lot, and she thought he came to bend the knee. So she played this meeting differently, tried to manipulate him, tried to impress him with her power, titles, her accomplishments. She tried to show him his place, but that didn't work.

Personally still haven't fathomed what possible purpose Jon being half Targ has to do with the bigger picture and it's resolution. The Targs played no part in the battle for the long knight that was just the children and the first men and Valyrian steel isn't Valyrian it's from further afield. I'm sure it's been brought up before but the same way that during the crusades the Arabs told the Europeans they invented Damascus steel when in fact they and imported it from the Indus valley people, so it's got nothing to do with that and dragon glass is volcanic its got nothing to do with dragons so what's the reason or importance of Jon's  heritage? Is it just a false narrative? Leading no where?

The Targaryans were dragon riders.  If Jon is full-Targ he will likely be accepted by a dragon, rather than eaten, likely the one named after his father, and be able to ride it.  Not having to expose Dany to danger to field the dragons in battle would be a huge advantage and Jon would then be quite valuable to Dany.  Perhaps to go destroy a certain marauding fleet in exchange for his freedom and a boat load (literally) of dragon glass?

21 hours ago, DaMavs said:

The Targaryans were dragon riders.  If Jon is full-Targ he will likely be accepted by a dragon, rather than eaten, likely the one named after his father, and be able to ride it.  Not having to expose Dany to danger to field the dragons in battle would be a huge advantage and Jon would then be quite valuable to Dany.  Perhaps to go destroy a certain marauding fleet in exchange for his freedom and a boat load (literally) of dragon glass?

He is not Full Targ though cause his mother is a Stark. Not the sister or half sister of his father. So this would decreases his chances of having the dragon rider trait.

On 05/08/2017 at 7:06 PM, pinoyathletics said:

He is not Full Targ though cause his mother is a Stark. Not the sister or half sister of his father. So this would decreases his chances of having the dragon rider trait.

I am interested do you really think that only full Targs? (not that Dany is a full Targ too, by the way, the closest non-Targ she had as an ancestor is Betha Blackwood, her great-grandmother, and she is not the only non-Targ in their family tree)
In the show we do not know who and how the dragons choose their riders.
In the books, though, it seems that anyone who dared to challenge the dragon could ride it (if this dragon has no rider), thus, during the Dance they (the Blacks) had spare dragons and needed dragonriders, so many people that thought to have any amount of Valyrian blood tried to ride the dragons and some succeeded. And few "pure blood" Targs were killed by the dragons (e.g. Rhaenyra's son tried to ride her dragon and dragon killed him). 

Archived