So if you sleep with your betrothed before the wedding...

Angel Eyes

• 5 months later...
On 8/3/2017 at 8:39 AM, Jaak said:

Pregnant bride - yes. Rhaenyra, and Aegon Dragonsbane.

Thanks for that.  It seems that premarital pregnancy isn't so much the problem.  I don't remember Rhaenyra getting flack for impatience, but that her children were not her husband's.   

On 8/2/2017 at 7:11 PM, Angel Eyes said:

What happens? 

Oh, dear, do we have to have that talk about the birds and bees? :D

But seriously, it probably depends on who you are - or how powerful, let's say. So long as the wedding comes before the birth, the only consequence is likely to be gossip and a 'reputation'. If the baby comes first it would legally be a bastard, I expect, so it would have to be legitimized by royal decree. In practice I would imagine there would be some good reason found to re-schedule the ceremony, or make claims that the 'real' wedding was done in private with a drunken septon taking the vows for a pile of silver etc many months earlier, and the 'big day' was just 'for the family'.

In short it might be embarrassing, and a stain on one's honour, but not a disaster.

I'm sure plenty of Targaryens that were betrothed to their brother/sister at an early age slept with each other before the wedding. No man or woman will ever truly know the lust that a teenage Targaryen has for his or her sister/brother. I personally don't believe the Rhaegar+Ashara=Daenerys theory, but if after Jon and Dany meet they end up in bed the very same day, that might change my mind.

On 1/4/2018 at 3:02 PM, Curled Finger said:

Thanks for that.  It seems that premarital pregnancy isn't so much the problem.  I don't remember Rhaenyra getting flack for impatience, but that her children were not her husband's.   

She did get critizised for impatience...

and not getting Viserys´ permission.

4 hours ago, Jaak said:

She did get critizised for impatience...

and not getting Viserys´ permission.

"King, court, and commons were all outraged by the news. Neither Daemon’s wife nor Rhaenyra’s husband had been dead even half a year; to wed again so soon was an insult to their memory, His Grace declared angrily. The marriage had been performed on Dragonstone, suddenly and secretly. Septon Eustace claims that Rhaenyra knew that her father would never approve of the match, so she wed in haste to make certain he could not prevent the marriage. Mushroom puts forward a different reason: The princess was once again with child, and did not wish to birth a bastard."

So basically, it was not impatience she was criticized for, it was lack of permission from her father, Head of her House and the King who all happened to be Viserys I plus dishonoring the memories of two powerful high borns with ties to royal family. There seems to be some kind of period (half a year?) before it is acceptable for a widow/widower to marry again.

Archived