What if the Wall is actually just a giant block of ice?

Well, we know they can straight up go around it.

And all the gates/passages through can be filled, so... what's your actual question?  Even if no magic is involved, it is a 700 ft high wall.  Circumventing it is nearly impossible and getting through it is equally impossibe - the only solution for the dead to reach the living is to knock the thing down.

Aaaaaaahhhhhh now I see what you mean! :D

Based on what we know so far, I'd say it's possible, but I think it's highly unlikely b/c there's so many clues pointing to the presence of magic.

Coldhands seemed to have trouble, unless he was deliberately misleading Sam, Gilly, Bran, Meera and co for some purpose. There does seem to be some sort of magic involved.

1 hour ago, cpg2016 said:

Well, we know they can straight up go around it.

How do we know that?

13 hours ago, King Tristifer IV Mudd said:

What if the Wall isn't magical at all, and any tales of magic is just pure fabrication and legend only?

I feel like it has to have some type of magic just to stand up. It's 700 feet tall and what, maybe 75 feet wide? With winds whipping out of the north I feel like it would have toppled long ago if there wasn't some magic glue holding it together. Plus the pressure from the top would be too much for the base and it would probably "flow" like a glacier. 

I do seem to remember some bit about various Kings of Winter or Lord Commanders adding to the Wall, which I think would lend to a "it's just ice" argument, but I may be making that up. 

The adding, IIRC, was explained as laying little rocks and gravels to the always icing over top. This helped with footing. And -over thousands of years- little rocks + ice + little rocks + ice + little rocks + ice equaled a slowly inching higher wall.

But I haven't read Book1 in a decade, so I could be completely off base.

If it wasn't magical at all, then the Night's Watch would be in one hell of a problem if the Others invaded since there could be the possibility that they broke it with magic; in the event of a wildling invasion: things come down to who holds the top of it. Actually, if it was a block of magical ice, the second case remains the same.

15 hours ago, King Tristifer IV Mudd said:

And the Others can just go through the gates or just straight up go around it? I think that'd be a pretty ironic twist.

what if Dany's dragons were just dogs with adorable dragon costumes?

Nah. There are several instances in several PoVs that claim the contrary. Melisandre feels her magic stronger at the Wall, Coldhands shall not pass, Jon cannot feel Ghost beyond the Wall... 

16 hours ago, King Tristifer IV Mudd said:

Let me rephrase the question cuz I didn't exactly word it the best way. What if the Wall isn't magical at all, and any tales of magic is just pure fabrication and legend only?

How is it fabrication when we see it in action?

1 hour ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

Would probably had less trouble feeding them in the desert, after Mirri gave her the pups.

And if they were Huskies they would have no issue with that non magical 700 foot tall ice wall

1 hour ago, shadows and dust said:

I've already reimagined the GOT TV series had SCIFI channel bought the rights first. :D

SCIFI might have not had the budget for the CGI but they might have written a script that didn't make me wish I had advanced stage grayscale

18 hours ago, Makk said:

Coldhands seemed to have trouble, unless he was deliberately misleading Sam, Gilly, Bran, Meera and co for some purpose. There does seem to be some sort of magic involved.

How do we know that?

Because the magic is in the Wall itself, supposedly, but the Wall doesn't stretch coast to coast.  They can just walk over the bridge at Westwatch, if they want to.

2 hours ago, YOVMO said:

And if they were Huskies they would have no issue with that non magical 700 foot tall ice wall

SCIFI might have not had the budget for the CGI but they might have written a script that didn't make me wish I had advanced stage grayscale

:lmao:

so true! 

2 hours ago, cpg2016 said:

Because the magic is in the Wall itself, supposedly, but the Wall doesn't stretch coast to coast.  They can just walk over the bridge at Westwatch, if they want to.

My big problem with what you said is that we don't KNOW. I am aware the wall only runs to the gorge which separates it from the bay of ice. But we don't even have a good picture of the geography let alone know exactly how the magic wards work or what magic binds the Others. When the wall was built, one assumes a lot more was known about the others. It would be extremely odd to go to such massive lengths only to have the entire construction completely pointless because the enemy can walk around it. And if they could why haven't they in the thousands of years since construction? The word "know" is definitive. It means it isn't speculation or even a strong assumption, it also means you can provide a quote that proves it.

Archived