What if the Wall is actually just a giant block of ice?

On 8/3/2017 at 5:38 PM, Makk said:

My big problem with what you said is that we don't KNOW. I am aware the wall only runs to the gorge which separates it from the bay of ice. But we don't even have a good picture of the geography let alone know exactly how the magic wards work or what magic binds the Others. When the wall was built, one assumes a lot more was known about the others. It would be extremely odd to go to such massive lengths only to have the entire construction completely pointless because the enemy can walk around it. And if they could why haven't they in the thousands of years since construction? The word "know" is definitive. It means it isn't speculation or even a strong assumption, it also means you can provide a quote that proves it.

Well, we know that the Wall doesn't stretch to the coast.  And we can provide quotes that the Wall has magic built into it.  The whole thread is speculation, speculation that we're being lied to or accidentally misinformed that the supposed magic in the Wall doesn't actually exist.

And the enemy can't just walk around it.  There is a giant freakin' gorge, and whatever the many powers of the Others, they can't scale sheer walls or fly.  Otherwise they'd already be in the Seven Kingdoms.  If you're standard of proof is that we need an explicit sourcing, then you could say anything.  Maybe the Others are bringing with them a whole 80's ski/sex romp comedy with their winter?  No one says they aren't....

On 8/3/2017 at 10:27 AM, cpg2016 said:

Well, we know they can straight up go around it.

5 hours ago, cpg2016 said:

And the enemy can't just walk around it

Then why did you say they can?:huh: I have no issue with your most recent post, but it 100% contradicts the one I originally replied to.

21 hours ago, Makk said:

Then why did you say they can?:huh: I have no issue with your most recent post, but it 100% contradicts the one I originally replied to.

Sorry, I was confusing.  I took the OP to mean "what if there was no magic keeping the Others out of Westeros".  And my point is that in that tiny choke point over the Bridge of Skulls, it doesn't seem like there is any magic keeping them out, just the logistical difficulty of funnelling tens of thousands of wights across a relatively tiny bridge, which a few hundred men could easily stop.  So whether the Wall itselg has magical protections or not is immaterial; the Others and wights effectively can't get over it, and effectively they cannot get past it, though it is physically possible.  Whereas is the Wall had magic, then it would be physically impossible for them to get past the Wall.

Archived