Is Euron the Valonqar?

Jaehaerys Stark

So, my rising intrigue with this new version of Euron we've seen this season got me thinking:  Is Euron going to be the Valonqar that chokes Cersei to death?  I feel like there is a good chance he could be.  We can rule out Tyrion because he is the most obvious choice, therefore most likely NOT the Valonqar, right?  If there is anything that we know, it's that GRRM doesn't do obvious.  That said, the most logical person would be Jaime, right?  He is technically a younger brother to her since she came out first.  It would also check the box for a bittersweet ending, which we know GRRM loves.  Some have proposed it would be the Hound.  I thought this early on, but now, I am not so sure. I started to think back to the Damphair POV from TWoW, specifically when Euron forced Aeron Greyjoy to drink shade of the evening and he has visions of Euron on the Iron Throne with a shadow of a long, tall, terrible lady at his side. Now, it seems obvious that the show has completely abandoned most of the Euron stuff from the books, but because he is so prevalent in the books, and how much he is being featured in the show now, he will be tied to a big event in the show.  I think that may all be leading to Euron being the Valonqar.  He has one goal in mind right now, and that is to marry Cersei.  Now, it seems, she is onboard with the idea.  I think these 2 psychos are made for each other and when they get together, they're going to let the freak flags fly!  I can see them getting into all kinds of weird shit together.  But Euron is Euron, and won't hesitate to screw over anybody to put himself into a position of power.  On the show, he is starting to really get a taste for being adored and applauded by the people, and I think h wants more.  But at some point, he will decide he doesn't need Cersei, or something will happen and he'll turn on her and kill her.  Maggie the Frog's prophecy says the Valonqar will wrap his hands around her neck and choke the life from her. Jaime only has 1 hand.  I don't think he can choke someone to death with the fake hand,  So I think the Valonqar is someone other than Jaime.  I think it's Euron.  This is just a theory of mine, and may be totally unfounded, but I think it's got legs.  The show has big plans for Euron it seems.  This could be what it is all leading to...

What do you guys think?

No. 

First off, the show can't even pay attention to reciting Daenerys's titles consistently through the seasons, one little "s" is not something they would care about. Second, I'm not sure at all that Show Maggie went into so much detail about the valonquar. Was that even in the show? 

Also, there's little to no connection between Euron and Cersei, he won her a couple battles and that's about it. Any random character could kill Cersei on that account. If the valonquar prophecy is the route they are taking, Jaime or Tyrion has to be the one to kill Cersei, that's the only way her death will be personal and in line with the prophecy. (Arya disguised as either of those two is also an option I can see, but will she ride back south?) 

I don't agree with this theory. Though, I am starting to believe that Euron will play some part in the prophecy - maybe being what causes Jaime to kill Cersei.

It has got to the point that Jaime has seen Cersei commit so many atrocities and he has still stood by her. It makes me think that the only way he is finally going to turn on her is if he catches her in bed with another man. At the moment, Euron looks the best candidate to be that man. He is already making advances towards Cersei and antagonising Jaime with quips about what he plans to do to her.

Jaime has never bedded another woman, so if he caught Cersei in bed with another man, especially a man he already doesn't like, I can only begin to imagine the fury a hot head like Jaime would unleash.

I think it's going to be Jon. He's Rhaegar's younger son; Aegon was older and died. Cersei will last to the end and Jon will kill her. I think she will outlast the Night King, she will outlast Dany. Only Jon will be left to stop her, and we know Jon does what is required to save his world.

Euron is just the over-the-top Ramsey Boulton replacement. I don't really think he's significant enough to be the valonqar. It would be a surprise and an unlikely candidate, but to my mind, very disappointing

It's a little out there but I like it.  I don't really see how Euron is being likened to an upjumped Ramsay.  (Ramsay did horrible things, while Euron has just killed in battle. And let's be honest, to some pretty shit characters).  However, if he's got a little Ramsay in him, he's the only character who can deliver a satisfying death to Cersei, now that Olenna won't.

On 03/08/2017 at 1:44 PM, RhaenysB said:

No. 

First off, the show can't even pay attention to reciting Daenerys's titles consistently through the seasons, one little "s" is not something they would care about. Second, I'm not sure at all that Show Maggie went into so much detail about the valonquar. Was that even in the show? 

No its not in the show so to a show watcher, they dont know it exists. This is what Maggie said and these were the main points in the show :-

1. ''You'll never wed the prince,youll wed the king'' - she did and married Robert Barartheon not Rhaegar
  2. "You'll be queen, for a time. Then comes another, younger, more beautiful, to cast you down and take all you hold dear." - Margaery came along, but this also could refer other potentials ones now like Daenerys or maybe Sansa.

3. "The king will have 20 children and you will have three. Gold will be their crowns . . . gold their shrouds." - Robert had lots of illegitimate bastards to other women and the queen only had 3, of which are all dead.

In the books this is the passage the show has hosen not to include :-

"And when your tears have drowned you, the Valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you." 

Also, there's little to no connection between Euron and Cersei, he won her a couple battles and that's about it. Any random character could kill Cersei on that account. If the valonquar prophecy is the route they are taking, Jaime or Tyrion has to be the one to kill Cersei, that's the only way her death will be personal and in line with the prophecy. (Arya disguised as either of those two is also an option I can see, but will she ride back south?) 

I massively agree if they do bring the Volanqar theory to the show it will be Jamie or Tyrion who kill Cersei, but I think its just going to be a case of Jamie killing Cersei without the idea of a prophecy. Going off topic, I dont really see a stroy line for her now, I dont know how she is going to incorporate herself into the story other than be pestered by Littlefinger as she has spolit his plans by coming back.

On 03/08/2017 at 1:54 PM, JordanJH1993 said:

I don't agree with this theory. Though, I am starting to believe that Euron will play some part in the prophecy - maybe being what causes Jaime to kill Cersei.

It has got to the point that Jaime has seen Cersei commit so many atrocities and he has still stood by her. It makes me think that the only way he is finally going to turn on her is if he catches her in bed with another man. At the moment, Euron looks the best candidate to be that man. He is already making advances towards Cersei and antagonising Jaime with quips about what he plans to do to her.

Jaime has never bedded another woman, so if he caught Cersei in bed with another man, especially a man he already doesn't like, I can only begin to imagine the fury a hot head like Jaime would unleash.

I definitely agree with you about this and think its a very valid point and plausible too. I do believe his finally cracking point will be  Cersei is willing to let the WW's and their army destroy the rest of the her enemies.

7 minutes ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

No its not in the show so to a show watcher, they dont know it exists. This is what Maggie said and these were the main points in the show :-

1. ''You'll never wed the prince,youll wed the king'' - she did and married Robert Barartheon not Rhaegar
  2. "You'll be queen, for a time. Then comes another, younger, more beautiful, to cast you down and take all you hold dear." - Margaery came along, but this also could refer other potentials ones now like Daenerys or maybe Sansa.

3. "The king will have 20 children and you will have three. Gold will be their crowns . . . gold their shrouds." - Robert had lots of illegitimate bastards to other women and the queen only had 3, of which are all dead.

In the books this is the passage the show has hosen not to include :-

"And when your tears have drowned you, the Valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you." 

I am beginning to believe the show left the Valonqar prophecy out so that the writers didn't have to go down that route of killing off Cersei if some new idea came to them; potentially with Daenerys, Sansa or Arya - maybe even Tyrion - being the one to finish her off.

For me, anything other than Jaime being the one to do it would be a huge disappointment, as ever since I read it in aFfC I have been expecting it to end that way. Especially with Cersei sleeping with other men behind Jaime's back.

22 hours ago, Kaguya said:

I agree with this, if the likely outcome..Even if I detest it. It should be Jaime due to the connection.

I agree that it should be Jaime.  Poor guy deserves that kill.  Plus, it would be epic for Jaime to be a Kingslayer, queenslayer AND a kinslayer all in one. Admittedly, as someone pointed out above, I did not realize that the show left out the part about the "hands" so who knows where D&D will take it...

4 minutes ago, Jaehaerys Stark said:

I agree that it should be Jaime.  Poor guy deserves that kill.  Plus, it would be epic for Jaime to be a Kingslayer, queenslayer AND a kinslayer all in one. Admittedly, as someone pointed out above, I did not realize that the show left out the part about the "hands" so who knows where D&D will take it...

The show has left the whole quote about the Valonqar out, not just the 'hands' part.

For me, that leaves it open to the possibility for anyone to end up killing Cersei. Having the Valonqar prophecy in narrows it down to just Tyrion and Jaime.

1 hour ago, JordanJH1993 said:

The show has left the whole quote about the Valonqar out, not just the 'hands' part.

For me, that leaves it open to the possibility for anyone to end up killing Cersei. Having the Valonqar prophecy in narrows it down to just Tyrion and Jaime.

Which is why I think it could be Euron in the end.  He could end up marrying Cersei, then killing her.  But who knows...

Archived