Westeros Experts League 2017

Jaime L

On 8/8/2017 at 5:25 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Even? Jesus fuck, what's a guy have to do around here to get a scootch of respect?

Bruh. Don't make noises about respect in my presence.

BTW I was wondering if experts should have a media insider? A big time regular not in the league at the time to report on events. You know, have some fun with it.

I nominate ME.

17 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

This calls for a Gatorade style commercial a la the new Matt Ryan "Defeat"...

Mention of Jaxoming is always a guaranteed "summon Jaxom" :P 

13 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

BTW I was wondering if experts should have a media insider? A big time regular not in the league at the time to report on events. You know, have some fun with it.

I nominate ME.

If you come for Shirley's throne, you best not miss.

But I'm an open minded commissioner so I want to hear you out on this. What are you proposing? 

Ok, I've tentatively set the draft for Monday 9/4 at 9 PM EST/6PM PST based on the feedback thus far. If that doesn't work for anyone, definitely speak up. 

ETA: Reminder PMs sent to Mya and Bronn. Groz, however, can't receive any. Freaking too popular Groz. 

10 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Ok, I've tentatively set the draft for Monday 9/4 at 9 PM EST/6PM PST based on the feedback thus far. If that doesn't work for anyone, definitely speak up. 

Thanks, Jaime!  Also, I looked back at my record in Experts last season and I started out 1-5!:eek:  Then I clawed, bit, scratched (and got very lucky) to get back to 7-6 to end the season, squeak into the playoffs, and ultimately finish 3rd.  All that drama, effort, and good fortune just to not get relegated outta the league may be the most fun I've had playing in it yet:)

47 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Thanks, Jaime!  Also, I looked back at my record in Experts last season and I started out 1-5!:eek:  Then I clawed, bit, scratched (and got very lucky) to get back to 7-6 to end the season, squeak into the playoffs, and ultimately finish 3rd.  All that drama, effort, and good fortune just to not get relegated outta the league may be the most fun I've had playing in it yet:)

Yeah, that's one thing I do remember about last year. You were on a knife's edge the entire second half of last season. IIRC Jace had the reverse season. Which is why you get to remain a player and she's left angling for a media job. 

24 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Yeah, that's one thing I do remember about last year. You were on a knife's edge the entire second half of last season. IIRC Jace had the reverse season. Which is why you get to remain a player and she's left angling for a media job. 

I too - had the reverse season. Most points overall in the regular season with a very different first half from second.

First half (wk 1-7)
6-1: 172 points per game

Second half (wk 8-13)
2-4: 150 points per game

Yuck

eta- And then 120 points in both playoff games to get bounced in the first round and then dropped to 6th place as a 3-seed.

1 hour ago, Week said:

I too - had the reverse season. Most points overall in the regular season with a very different first half from second.

First half (wk 1-7)
6-1: 172 points per game

Second half (wk 8-13)
2-4: 150 points per game

Yuck

eta- And then 120 points in both playoff games to get bounced in the first round and then dropped to 6th place as a 3-seed.

Yeah that was pretty brutal. You were the highest scoring team all season but your team definitely slowed down as the season and ended on a total down note. I feel like I've had a bunch of FFL teams over the years that followed that kind of trajectory. FFL so frequently doesn't reward the best team, it rewards the one who is hot at the right time. 

16 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I nominate ME.

You really need someone who's in that league to do it if you want it to be done properly. Someone who's been in it for a long time, so they can address the history and use all the inside vernacular and whatnot. (Jaxomed anyone?)

3 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Mention of Jaxoming is always a 

You want me in this League.  You need me in this League...

21 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

You really need someone who's in that league to do it if you want it to be done properly. Someone who's been in it for a long time, so they can address the history and use all the inside vernacular and whatnot. (Jaxomed anyone?)

Yaaaaaassssss...???

4 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

I couldn't be happier with this draft time if I were Jaxom and Hank Baskett were planning to come visit me during the draft with a slab of ribs and a six pack of Mickey's.

Best spent $49 dollars.

4 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Mention of Jaxoming is always a guaranteed "summon Jaxom" :P 

If you come for Shirley's throne, you best not miss.

But I'm an open minded commissioner so I want to hear you out on this. What are you proposing? 

So I played around with being a media insider last year when I was making all those trades. And since experts is the big goal and theoretically everyone is super invested *cough* traderapes *cough* I thought it would be cool if the players had someone they could 'leak' details of ongoing trade negotiations to or report deals that the commish hasn't had time to approve yet. 

That way it can get out there that players are on the block, potentially, or even just that teams are discussing something even if we don't know which players.

The 'insider' could also do a recap of events in the league every week. 

I just think it would be fun and add a bit of flavor to the proceedings, making experts even more special.

3 hours ago, Jaime L said:

I'm like a young Matt Millen.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I AM the experts league... And I am here to fulfil Jaxom 1974's destiny!!!!

9 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

So I played around with being a media insider last year when I was making all those trades. And since experts is the big goal and theoretically everyone is super invested *cough* traderapes *cough* I thought it would be cool if the players had someone they could 'leak' details of ongoing trade negotiations to or report deals that the commish hasn't had time to approve yet. 

That way it can get out there that players are on the block, potentially, or even just that teams are discussing something even if we don't know which players.

I just think it would be fun and add a bit of flavor to the proceedings, making experts even more special.

I like it. 

What I do in my Money league (that I've been in for years, with many of the same players most of which are personal friends) is make a trash talking post every week that features my opponent and the matchup. I find that many other players enjoy this, and they will often start posting in a similar fashion about their matchup. This tends to make things more participatory. And it talks the onus off of one person having to provide a breakdown or summary of every week.  

45 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I'm like a young Matt Millen.

16 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack said:

I like it. 

I do too. Think it's a great idea. 

Jace, we can't afford to pay you. But if you do an awesome job this year, we'll triple it next year. 

Archived