time?

Graydon Hicks

i hae to wonder, just how is time measured in ASOIAF? i mean, i guess we can assume their days have the same length as our own, roughly 24 of our hours, and i think i saw them mentions months, and we know they use years, but how are those measured? is there any temporal denomination between day and month, like week or sennight? how long is a month, how do they measure an hours, if they do at all? how months are in their year? this would actually help those who are trying to figure out distances in the ASOIAF, using length of time to judge how far someone is traveling. and do they have any holidays? how do they mark when a year has passed?

do they mention how they measure hours and minutes? like a marked candle or with hourglass, on this im just curious.

but what about how long their months are? and do they use any form of time measurement short of months, like weeks or something?

these are those details its kind of easy to just overlook, and martin has proven a little lazy about providing a detailed timeline beyond "this happened so and so years ago, then this happened, then this, and now we get to this thing happening here and now." it would help to nail down certain series of events. when exactly did robb get crowned KITN, and what was renly doing at that exact time, and where daenerys was at this point, cause i thought her POVs started a little bit before everyone elses.

7 hours ago, Graydon Hicks said:

do they mention how they measure hours and minutes? like a marked candle or with hourglass, on this im just curious.

but what about how long their months are? and do they use any form of time measurement short of months, like weeks or something?

these are those details its kind of easy to just overlook, and martin has proven a little lazy about providing a detailed timeline beyond "this happened so and so years ago, then this happened, then this, and now we get to this thing happening here and now." it would help to nail down certain series of events. when exactly did robb get crowned KITN, and what was renly doing at that exact time, and where daenerys was at this point, cause i thought her POVs started a little bit before everyone elses.

I've seen the term "fortnight" used, which refers to two weeks in the real world, probably here either the same or half of a month. 

Timing in this series is notoriously vague.  It is essentially impossible to make any kind of a precise, accurate timeline of events.  If it's accurate, it won't be precise, and if precise, accuracy will be quite doubtful.  Some things are impossible to nail down within less than a month or so.

14 hours ago, TMIFairy said:

i thank the goddess in my prayers and offer a sacrifice in her name. now if only we could find one so useful for the time around roberts rebellion. it may be just wishful thining, but if i can pin down where petyr was when, then i can nail his ass to the Wall for starting that war too.

Archived