The Unholy Consult post-release SPOILER thread III

kuenjato

24 minutes ago, Lies And Perfidy said:

torn between being glad that particular shaggy dog actually was pretty shaggy, and drop-kicking my copy of TUC across the room. "ending" my ass.

But it sort of begs the question on what qualifies as an ending? The only other negative ending would be absolute human extinction (or perhaps/ extinction down to the specific number and under the yoke of the consult). How could it have an end without doing that...unless, of course, it had a happy ending...

2 minutes ago, unJon said:

Because there is no proposed mechanism between two-souled and No God other than "a wizard did it." And it breaks down in that the previous No God (System Initiation) was not two souled, his father was. And it's inconsistent with statements made by the author at the AMA. And. And. And. 

The father being two souled somehow precludes the son being two souled? We're talking something that is carried by family?

Being two souled suggests a means by which a wizard did it, not just 'a wizard did it' sans any means. I mean, it could be a really weird thing the Anasurimbor have in their family but in the end doesn't matter to the really big thing that two in their family line have been no gods. I guess.

3 minutes ago, Callan S. said:

The father being two souled somehow precludes the son being two souled? We're talking something that is carried by family?

Being two souled suggests a means by which a wizard did it, not just 'a wizard did it' sans any means. I mean, it could be a really weird thing the Anasurimbor have in their family but in the end doesn't matter to the really big thing that two in their family line have been no gods. I guess.

Except two in their family have not been No-Gods if Seswatha was the father of Nau-Cayuti, which is what the text heavily implies. 

We have no indication that any other people that are two-souled are invisible to the gods, and we have textual evidence contradicting this (Celmomas sees an image of a god as he is dying, and that god is coming for him). We also have Bakker specifically stating why Kelmomas cannot be seen by the gods:

Kelmomas is the No-God, and as such invisible to the Gods. He stands outside the outside. This is why he short-circuits both incarnations of the White-Luck Warrior. And this is why he short-circuits Ajokli/Kellhus. This is why only Kellhus is salted.

49 minutes ago, Callan S. said:

He's also said, in reply to a question about after determining before 'Getting people to think through these paradoxes is the best I can hope for'

So? He's said, I quote "What comes after determines what comes before". Many times. You can cover your ears and go lalala all yuo want, doesn't change anything.

58 minutes ago, Callan S. said:

That which comes after determines that which comes before "suggests a Means by which a wizard did it." And Bakker said he wants people to engage in what that paradox means, and you quote him saying this. The fact you do not find it engaging so are groping for a different explanation is . . . interesting. 

8 minutes ago, unJon said:

That which comes after determines that which comes before "suggests a Means by which a wizard did it." And Bakker said he wants people to engage in what that paradox means, and you quote him saying this. The fact you do not find it engaging so are groping for a different explanation is . . . interesting. 

It's called denial. It's a stage of grief.

10 minutes ago, unJon said:

The Madness quote was that Kellhus is dead but not done. 

Well my quote was "what a fucking troll" because a week ago he said kellhus was dead. This week he says kellhus isn't. He is just trolling.

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

This seems like a kind of big deal.

Of course, this comes from Madness so who knows if it's accurate.

Is it though? The Fanim world view is that the Gods are just demons and that Heaven and God exist outside the Outside and that being a pious Fanim, you can escape the Outside and enter Heaven, with the Outside, heavens and hells included, all are Hell.   So in practical terms they try to replicate the Nonmen's desire to achieve Oblivion by escaping the Outside under false pretenses (that paradise rather than oblivion awaits them).

20 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

What a fucking troll.

Exactly what I thought.

I don't take anything he says about the next series seriously, anyway. Maybe he thought his previous comment was too conclusive and said this now because he wants fuel (the futile) discussions about Kellhus' fate again.

9 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Well my quote was "what a fucking troll" because a week ago he said kellhus was dead. This week he says kellhus isn't. He is just trolling.

Madness has a track record of just plain lying about stuff Bakker has told hm because he like sot "troll the fans", so if it comes through him I'd take it was a grain of salt, no pun intended.

Honestly I am tempted to toss the books into the goodwill pile, but I just sorted that section of my shelves and then there would be a giant hole plus I have a few bigger asshole authors on the shelves still.

And I've never been fond of the death of the author method of lit crit, personally, but this has got to be the best example for its use EVER.

It was a convention in London, Ontario for some Bakker fans.  Madness advertised it on his forums and reddit.   I thought about going, but it's like, I knew there wouldn't be that many people so it wouldn't be as interesting as it could be, but if everyone has the same thoughts as me then it's never gonna get going...  But I'm lazy so....

Maybe next year there'll be a hundred people and cosplays! Then I'll go!  I'm sure I could pull off a stellar Achamian.

Archived