Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daniel Cianureto Frentzen

Is "Scorpion" a poisonous weapon?

41 posts in this topic

We learned one thing: Nothing in GoT is by chance. Then the name would be an allusion to the animal, then poisonous. My opinion is that the weapon only needs a straight shot and the dragon would be doomed to death. Drogo died poisoned, right? So Drogon ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2017 at 1:57 AM, Daniel Cianureto Frentzen said:

We learned one thing: Nothing in GoT is by chance. Then the name would be an allusion to the animal, then poisonous. My opinion is that the weapon only needs a straight shot and the dragon would be doomed to death. Drogo died poisoned, right? So Drogon ....

It's possible, but the term "scorpion" is a medieval name for such weapons. GRRM uses it in the books a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A scorpion is just the device - but as I just said in my 'maester' thread I wouldn't put it past Qybyrn to have put some nasty stuff on those missile-arrows - if not now, definitely later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe they're called scorpions because of the medieval term for such a weapon. Maybe they somehow resemble them?

 

Though as others have said, I wouldn't put it past Qyburn to poison things. But do we know if regular poison can kill dragons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

It's possible, but the term "scorpion" is a medieval name for such weapons. GRRM uses it in the books a lot.

Not even medieval; scorpions were obsolete by the early Roman Empire, which is why we use the Latin name for them. (Well, the Latin name was "scorpio", but that's just the Latin word for "scorpion".)

But then weapon technology doesn't make much sense in the books. I suspect GRRM just thinks "scorpion" sounds cooler than, say, "manuballista". Which is fine; this isn't really military historical fiction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there was poison on the Scorpion arrows, they would have introduced that already. Introducing it after the fact would be awful writing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thread topic is an interesting idea, I hadn't thought of it. Now I hope it's true.

Think about it, Drogo died slowly by poisoning and not in glorious battle. It makes sense that the dragon with his namesake goes the same way - and it's exactly the kind of reversal of fortune the GoTs plot would pull on us for a super powerful character like Drogon.

As for it not being introduced, it kind of was. Just before Qyburn showed cerise the Scorpion, we learned he was adept with poison and cerise killed a character with it.

Seriously, if the poisoning of Drogon is a thing, it is a great plot development that very few would have seen coming and could redeem some of the show's weaker plot elements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would Qybyrn even know if a poison would be effective against a dragon, I mean their internal anatomy would be completely foreign and I am no dragon expert but I would expect that their internal body temperature would burn through any poison introduced I would also expect them to have a pretty high metabolism so again burning through anything introduced.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it laughable that seemingly no one in the past in which in Westeros, dragons were in "action" for about 95 years and no one ever thought of such a weapon before. Whether that bolt was poisoned or not remains to be seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

I find it laughable that seemingly no one in the past in which in Westeros, dragons were in "action" for about 95 years and no one ever thought of such a weapon before. Whether that bolt was poisoned or not remains to be seen.

I think that the difference was that this scorpion was more powerful then others. Not that it was a new weapon since we see one of the men of the nights watch use one to kill a giant when the wildlings attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Scorpion was a common term for the weapon in real life and in the books it  is called that as well. I don't think poisoning it would be a good idea because the sheer amount of poison you would have to put on it and likely just before you use it would likely kill the person handling it. And it would have to be an incredibly powerful posion as well. And as far as I know dragons are alot different then people and might be impossible to poison

Edited by snow is the man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snow is the man said:

Scorpion was a common term for the weapon in real life and in the books it  is called that as well. I don't think poisoning it would be a good idea because the sheer amount of poison you would have to put on it and likely just before you use it would likely kill the person handling it. And it would have to be an incredibly powerful posion as well. And as far as I know dragons are alot different then people and might be impossible to poison

True that it is unlikely Qyburn knows what poison works with a dragon but, as for people getting it on their hands, it might be a poison that only works in the bloodstream. The Long Goodnight or whatever has to be kissed into someone - transferred by bodily fluid. Most venomous animals have to puncture the skin to have an effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ummester said:

True that it is unlikely Qyburn knows what poison works with a dragon but, as for people getting it on their hands, it might be a poison that only works in the bloodstream. The Long Goodnight or whatever has to be kissed into someone - transferred by bodily fluid. Most venomous animals have to puncture the skin to have an effect.

true but sometimes very strong poisons can kill just by breathing enough of it in. Something to kill a dragon would have to be as strong as that or near it I imagine and qyburn probably knows that too. Plus given that dramatic showing of that giant dragon skull under the red keep getting crushed by a bolt I think that's what they were hoping for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

I find it laughable that seemingly no one in the past in which in Westeros, dragons were in "action" for about 95 years and no one ever thought of such a weapon before. Whether that bolt was poisoned or not remains to be seen.

Yes they did. This type of device took down Meraxes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

That'd be cool tbh. I'd be here for it. Clearly the bolt could not kill Drogon, because that would kill also Dany, but hurting him and then slowly kill him, that'd be great imo.

Edited by Nerevanin
forgot the add the negation...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AryaNymeriaVisenya said:

Yes they did. This type of device took down Meraxes

Tyrion references it in ADWD too.  But he states that Scorpion bolts are an annoyance to a Dragon unless it goes through the eye.  So by allowing Drogon to be so easily hurt by one they've toned down the near invincibility of the Dragons a fair bit in the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nerevanin said:

That'd be cool tbh. I'd be here for it. Clearly the bolt could kill Drogon, because that would kill also Dany, but hurting him and then slowly kill him, that'd be great imo.

Imagine Drogon getting sicker and sicker over a number of episodes - they could milk the crap out of that with Dany tears and puppy dog eyebrows. And, it would give her a final reason to snap and torch Westeros with her remaining two (least favourite) children.

The moral of the story is never send your favourite child to battle first :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ummester said:

Imagine Drogon getting sicker and sicker over a number of episodes - they could milk the crap out of that with Dany tears and puppy dog eyebrows. And, it would give her a final reason to snap and torch Westeros with her remaining two (least favourite) children.

The moral of the story is never send your favourite child to battle first :D

Yeah, I was thinking about that. It would cause her to unleash her rage at Westeros. At least one of the dragons is going to dying anyway so... ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bran's Legs said:

If there was poison on the Scorpion arrows, they would have introduced that already. Introducing it after the fact would be awful writing.

Who's to say they haven't?  I'm worried that the Oberyn/Mountain fight was foreshadowing the battle last night. 

They've also pointed out that Qyburn is apparently adept as reverse engineering poisons. So although it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out the arrows were coated with the same poison that Oberyn used, I'll be disappointed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ummester said:

Imagine Drogon getting sicker and sicker over a number of episodes - they could milk the crap out of that with Dany tears and puppy dog eyebrows. And, it would give her a final reason to snap and torch Westeros with her remaining two (least favourite) children.

The moral of the story is never send your favourite child to battle first :D

Won't happen. She's going to lose one of the dragons to the Night's King here in a couple episodes, so she needs Drogon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0