Is "Scorpion" a poisonous weapon?

At least it is poisonous for Dothraki eyes. I still find no reasonable explanation on why they let Bronn shot twice. If you look carefully you can even see Dothrakis going around the scorpion battling and they don't give a f*** about the weapon that may cost them their queen's life.

On 8/4/2017 at 11:57 PM, Daniel Cianureto Frentzen said:

We learned one thing: Nothing in GoT is by chance. Then the name would be an allusion to the animal, then poisonous. My opinion is that the weapon only needs a straight shot and the dragon would be doomed to death. Drogo died poisoned, right? So Drogon ....

Who on Planetos at this time would know what poisons a dragon?  A fire breathing winged reptile who was born by fire from a petrified egg surely has a different chemical constitution than other animals of the world.

Also, dry bolt.  Nothing slathered onto its tip in preparation to fire.  Nope,  I think their intent was simply to shoot it out of the sky.

On 2017. 08. 05. at 8:57 AM, Daniel Cianureto Frentzen said:

We learned one thing: Nothing in GoT is by chance. Then the name would be an allusion to the animal, then poisonous. My opinion is that the weapon only needs a straight shot and the dragon would be doomed to death. Drogo died poisoned, right? So Drogon ....

Drogo didn't die of poison. He was dying  of a festered wound and fever, made into a vegetable and suffocated with a pillow. It is a question of belief and interpretation whether his wound festered because it was purposely mistreated or because he didn't follow Mirri's instructions or because it's the Middle Ages and he had bad luck. 

Also, it would take a hell of a lot of poison to bring that dragon down, wouldn't it? And how could Qyburn be sure the poison even works on dragons since Melisandre drank Maester Cressen's poisoned wine in season 2 and was totally fine because the night is dark and full of terrors (and poison) but fire burns them all away (or something along the lines). 

It would also need build-up (like a shot of the Dothraki Bronn shot through disintegrating or something). at this point it's difficult to say "whose thing" poison is and isn't. Obara cut Euron but he wasn't poisoned even though the poisoned blade is an oberyn thing. Ellaria poisoned Myrcella because poison is the Oberyn thing and in turn, Cersei poisoned Tyene. And yes she also poisoned Robert's wine. But Lysa poisoned Jon arryn's wine too and LF poisoned Joffrey and Jaime poisoned Olenna but it was out of mercy because Cersei wanted to do worse. Qyburn did help with Ellaria and studied Gregor but he also helped blow up half of KL and simply stab Pycelle to death, so poison isn't necessarily his thing either. It's difficult to find a pattern. 

No, I don't think those spears they are shooting out are poisonous. It would make them too effective and cause lots and lots of plot problems.

Interesting thought, definitely.  But they can't kill a dragon yet.  They are needed for the North.  Why go through all of this with the dragons just to kill the biggest one off before the main event even begins??  I could see losing Rhaegal or Viserion in a Southern battle, but not Drogon.  

I doubt it was poisoned.

At the time of building it they thought it was the ultimate weapon, they were so sure of themselves. Then Drogon melted their faces off when turning a whole army into ashes in minutes and suddenly their scorpion looks a bit weak.
Sure it hit and wounded one dragon but you just revealed your ace to the whole house, next time Danny attacks she'll know what to aim for first and to use multiple dragons to kill the artillery as a priority.

I think this "battle" was to show that the leaders of Westeros have really no idea what to do when it comes to facing the forces that Danny has to deploy. They had no idea what the Dothraki were all about until too late, probably expecting a standard cavalry charge. Then a dragon shows up and even Jamie had no fucking clue what to do really, he just guessed.

That's gonna be a seriously demoralizing ass-whooping they got there, be lucky if any of those men want to stand and fight again, those that aren't dust in the wind at least.

34 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

Drogo didn't die of poison. He was dying  of a festered wound and fever, made into a vegetable and suffocated with a pillow. It is a question of belief and interpretation whether his wound festered because it was purposely mistreated or because he didn't follow Mirri's instructions or because it's the Middle Ages and he had bad luck. 

Did his wound fester further because MMD poisoned it with a fake healing balm?

35 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

No, I don't think those spears they are shooting out are poisonous. It would make them too effective and cause lots and lots of plot problems.

This is assuming you know here the plot is headed. It doesn't cause problems from every perspective/outcome.

9 hours ago, ummester said:

Did his wound fester further because MMD poisoned it with a fake healing balm?

This is assuming you know here the plot is headed. It doesn't cause problems from every perspective/outcome.

That's what I mentioned as an unclear question. MMD did not necessarily poison Drogo, it was enough to mistreat him or not treat him as she should have. There's no definite answer in the books for why drogo was dying. 

This is not assuming I know where the plot is headed. This is assuming that Daenerys dragons can be taken out very quickly and easily if the spears are indeed poisoned and that's a problem for Team Daenerys in the southern war, not to mention for humanity in the war against the dead. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysB said:

This is assuming that Daenerys dragons can be taken out very quickly and easily if the spears are indeed poisoned and that's a problem for Team Daenerys in the southern war, not to mention for humanity in the war against the dead. 

Have you entertained the possibility that, in this story, humanity is not meant to win?

15 minutes ago, ummester said:

Have you entertained the possibility that, in this story, humanity is not meant to win?

No. This is an HBO show. Millions didn't watch for eight years to see each and every one of the characters die. The execs want a spinoff. Humanity can't lose. Not on tv. GRRM might have entertained this possibility though. 

15 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

No. This is an HBO show. Millions didn't watch for eight years to see each and every one of the characters die. The execs want a spinoff. Humanity can't lose. Not on tv. GRRM might have entertained this possibility though. 

Prequels are a spin off. There is still Eastern Essos, Southoros and Ulthos to explore in the current timeline. I'd be more interested in watching a story about Asshai, or Yiti, or even old Valeria, after the story of Westeros is done.

There could also be a far future timeline - say Westeros get's given back to the Children and the White Walkers at the end and all humans have to leave (not die) - there could be a story where humans try to resettle 1000 years after. Bittersweet could well men learning that the right thing to do is giving up the continent they have squabbled over for 10,000 years.

Tony Soprano 'lost', most characters in season 2 of True Detective lost. I don't think HBO is afraid of exploring nihilistic conclusions, though GoTs has been promised as bittersweet.

I have no idea where it's going - but do think it is best to keep an open mind, because if it does end as people expect, people will be disapointed and much less interested in watching spinoffs.

Here lies Drogon

Son of Daenerys

Named after Khal Drogo

Season1 - Season7

Died shortly after getting injured by a poisoned metal bolt

May he meet his creator and feast forever in the Dragon's Vallhalla

Seriously. Drogon is going to slowly die from poison.

The ballista Qyburn created is named Scorpion ;) (wink, wink)

Qyburn was shown to master poisons just in the previous episode.

They set it up. It's innevitable.

Press F to pay respects,

P.S: I know small ballistae are generally called scorpions, but still...

It would make sense for the bolt to actually be poisoned, of course he might not know what poison will kill a dragon, but that shouldn't stop him from trying to poison the dragon.  But, the moment  I saw Drogon  I knew no dragons were dying nor is he dying anytime soon. Too much of a fan favorite.

However, if his wound festers and he dies. I know exactly how Rheagal will die, by a hammer. 

2 minutes ago, ummester said:

Ned, Stannis, Shireen, Ygritte - all fan favourites.

Ned and Ygritte died during the time that they were still following the books. It was significant deaths to move the plot and development

Stannis was a favorite of mine,  but I doubt he had the popularity of Dany and Drogon. I could be wrong, but he lost a lot of popularity for him burning Shireen.  I could be wrong, but I feel like the writers are pandering to the audience now. 

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:40 PM, Illiterati said:

Who on Planetos at this time would know what poisons a dragon?  A fire breathing winged reptile who was born by fire from a petrified egg surely has a different chemical constitution than other animals of the world.

Also, dry bolt.  Nothing slathered onto its tip in preparation to fire.  Nope,  I think their intent was simply to shoot it out of the sky.

The only person I can think of who might know is Euron. He's travelled around the world, consorted with warlocks, entered the Doom...

I wouldn't even be a bit surprised if it turns out Euron is working for the Night King.

13 minutes ago, Crona said:

Ned and Ygritte died during the time that they were still following the books. It was significant deaths to move the plot and development

Stannis was a favorite of mine,  but I doubt he had the popularity of Dany and Drogon. I could be wrong, but he lost a lot of popularity for him burning Shireen.  I could be wrong, but I feel like the writers are pandering to the audience now. 

Yes, there does feel like some pandering is going on - but major plot points are still being adhered to.

We don't get to see too much of the other dragons, Dragons death would draw them into the limelight and have a dramatic impact on Dany's character development.

3 minutes ago, ummester said:

Yes, there does feel like some pandering is going on - but major plot points are still being adhered to.

We don't get to see too much of the other dragons, Dragons death would draw them into the limelight and have a dramatic impact on Dany's character development.

Oh, yes I do believe at least one dragon is dying.  I just feel like it won't be Drogon, if they do kill him I would be surprised

Archived