Warden of the West - Daven Lannister?

Steel Stag

I think this topic has not been discussed before, why wasn't Jaime named Warden of the West after Tywin died? I understand why Kevan didn't get the title, but i think it was never explained in the books why Jaime didn't get the title. Do you have any ideas?

44 minutes ago, Steel Stag said:

I think this topic has not been discussed before, why wasn't Jaime named Warden of the West after Tywin died? I understand why Kevan didn't get the title, but i think it was never explained in the books why Jaime didn't get the title. Do you have any ideas?

Probably because Cersei was in a snit about Jaime and didn't want to give him the title.  By this point, they really aren't getting along well.  I think Cersei is effectively in charge of House Lannister, as well.  I know she appointed Damion Lannister as castellan of Casterly Rock.

Cersei is currently the Ruler of the Westerlands, this is confirmed both by Kevan in AFFC as well as the appendix. Women can be overlords as well. 

Daven was picked over Kevan to be Warden as Cersei was angry with refusing to follow her blindly. She offered him the Handship but he needed conditions to do it, her removing herself from power, which she refused to meet. 

Jaime is no longer Warden of the East, that was restored to Robin as one of the conditions of their support (staying neutral) in the War of the Five Kings.

On 8/5/2017 at 8:25 AM, Adam Yozza said:

One of Kevan's sons, Martyn I think.

Cersei is the Lady of the West. Since she's pre-occupied running the Seven Kingdoms into the ground and getting herself imprisoned, she had appointed one of her cousins Daven to be Warden of the West, since that appears to be a totally military position, and another cousin she named castellan of Casterly Rock. 

1 hour ago, Livesundersink said:

To get Lysa to swear fealty to the IT, Tywin restores the title of Warden of the East to Robert Arryn, this happened sometime during the events of Storm.

So he did. Forgot about that. I guess she passed over Jaime because they weren't getting along all that well then.

1 hour ago, Daena the Defiant said:

Cersei is the Lady of the West. Since she's pre-occupied running the Seven Kingdoms into the ground and getting herself imprisoned, she had appointed one of her cousins Daven to be Warden of the West, since that appears to be a totally military possession, and another cosuin she named castellan of Casterly Rock. 

Yeah, it was Damion Lannister not Martyn who was named castellan. My mistake.

Daven's got some pretty interesting attributes when you look at it; was named Warden of The West out of sheer luck really, had that kooky pact to grow his hair and beard until he claimed vengeance for his father, ended up being a Lannister who actually looks similiar to a male a lion, and is someone who feels comfortable making japes about Jaime's hand to the man's face.

I wonder what the future holds for this bearded lion, what will his reaction be to Kevan's murder? I would assume this news will be pretty impactful for the members of House Lannister, both in the Rock and Lannisport, considering it's the third major Lannister/Baratheon murder within the space of a few months. This is also extremely close to Cersei's imprisonment and walk of shame, which no doubt caused at least a few lions around the Rock and Lannisport to disregard Tywin's daughter as the de facto head of House Lannister. Jaime has gone missing, and his severed hand and attatchment to Cersei may have already caused his reputation among his own kin to take a rather hefty dent. 

Considering all the misfortune that has surrounded the descendents of Lann The Clever over the last few years, aswell as the current PR nightmare that is Cersei, it might be time for younger leonines such as the current Warden of The West to step up and take the places of the lazy older generation, as is a lion's want.

What are the chances of him inheriting the Rok if Cersei dies? I can't imagine the Lions of The Rock and Lannisport being too thrilled at the idea of Tommen Baratheon holding the Rock, even if he is a bastard Lion on both sides, and to be fair Tommen is King so he would be well within his right to pass the Rock on to some kinsman. If Jaime never returns from the Riverlands then Daven would seem like a pretty solid choice to lead House Lannister in the future. He seemed to have been on good terms with Jaime, and is a seasoned veteran of several battles during the WOT5K, his current title will also work in his favour, as will the lack of any other particularly notable candidates for the job of filling Tywin's boots.

I can't see Daven and his fellow Lannisters of lesser note becoming a big part of the final two books, but unless House Lannister is eventually extinguished root and stem by either Dany's forces or Winter's, someone is bound to have to step up and lead the pride. All the old lions are dying out, and the main line is in ruin, therefore if Daven can keep his seat as Warden of The West for a while he would be a prime candidate to rule The Rock, through his title alone.

It seems Daven has some renown by himself even before the W5K. The first time Daven is mentionned in ACOK (when the Starks hear his father is gathering a new army), Brynden says :

[Ser Stafford is...] "An old man and a bit of a dullard, but he has a son, Ser Daven, who is more formidable."

He never details what makes him consider Daven "more formidable", but for a second-rank Lannister son to be known by someone who spent the last decade in the Vale, Daven should be a really good warrior (as he's "half the age of Kevan" he's old enough to have fought and illustrated himself during the Greyjoy rebellion, if he likely had no position of command as he recognizes himself his lack of experience as a leader) or tourneyer (while we don't hear about any Daven big victory in tourneys he seems to be a regular performer according to the scene where he taunts Lewis Pyper about their sigil).

Archived