Asshai and slavery.

Vaedys Targaryen

The question is pretty straight forward; do the Asshai'i practise slavery? I know it says that no practise, be it magic or religion, is forbidden, but it doesn't mention slavery.

And if slavery is legal there, how much would you think they would pay for a slave? They're known to give vast riches to people who simply sell them fresh food and drinkable water, so how much would they be willing to pay for a slave?

To what end do you find this question relevant?  From the facial tattoos of the red priests and the prostitutes I have assumed that slavery was a regular practice in Asshai.  I don't know how the slave trade operates there, but I imagine the strong sell the weak.  I wonder how the city would respond if they got news of how Daenerys was operating the bay of dragons.

7 hours ago, BadWo1f said:

Thinking about some practices they perform, they probably need people to experiment on. Asshai is a rich city, they pay because they can, so probably lots for others, almost nothing for them.

This is actually exactly what I'm thinking.

18 hours ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

The question is pretty straight forward; do the Asshai'i practise slavery? I know it says that no practise, be it magic or religion, is forbidden, but it doesn't mention slavery.

And if slavery is legal there, how much would you think they would pay for a slave? They're known to give vast riches to people who simply sell them fresh food and drinkable water, so how much would they be willing to pay for a slave?

everything east of pentos practices slavery

18 hours ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

Slavery is practiced there.  I don't recall reading that they trained slaves but they are consumers rather than producers.  Human life holds little value in Asshai.

The price for a slave will vary widely.  The Unsullied, which take ten years of rigorous training to produce and only a fraction of the ones who start successfully complete the training, will be some of the most expensive slaves.  Daenerys liberated the monetary equivalent of billions when she freed the slaves from their Astapori masters.  On the opposite end of the price scale, a child just taken from its mother can be had for less than the price of a farm horse.  A small child to serve as guinea pig can be had cheap.

Archived