How much of TWOW will align with the show?

Reginald blackfield

The title pretty much says it all. In your opinion how much of TWOW will align with the show?

I can see the Siege of Meereen 'ending' in a similar way to how it ends in the show.

R+L=J will turn out to be true

I also believe it to be possible that the outcome of Cersei's trial will remain the same.

I can see Jon Snow becoming king in the north, but through different methods than his actions in the show.

The Battle of Winterfell will most likely be different, although Stannis may still lose.

Benjen Stark will certainly not turn out to be Coldhands

These are my predictions.

2 hours ago, Reginald blackfield said:

The title pretty much says it all. In your opinion how much of TWOW will align with the show?

I can see the Siege of Meereen 'ending' in a similar way to how it ends in the show.

I also believe it to be possible that the outcome of Cersei's trial will remain the same.

I can see Jon Snow becoming king in the north, but through different methods than his actions in the show.

The Battle of Winterfell will most likely be different, although Stannis may still lose.

I am starting to doubt as to if it will ever be published tbh. 

8 hours ago, Reginald blackfield said:

I think the show has moved way beyond TWOW now.  We probably won't ever see the TWOW and I believe GRRM is changing his story to make it as different from the show as possible.

Dany won't be around when the siege of Meereen ends.  It's unlikely Dany will even get back to Meereen by the end of TWOW.  I think her final chapters in TWOW will be uniting and taking control of the Dothraki and leading them to Meereen.

R+L=J will be true but I doubt it will officially revealed in TWOW.

I think Cersei's arc is going to follow a very similar path to the show but for different reasons.  Varys wants Cersei on the throne because he believes it weakens it so he'll engineer it to happen.  I also believe Cersei will destroy the Sept and kill the High Sparrow and Marg like in the show.  Vary's plans will come to nought due to a grayscale plague.  This plague will also be used as an excuse to burn Shireen.

I really don't want Jon to become King in the North but I think it's inevitable.  I don't think his resurrection will be anywhere near as fast as in the show though.  He'll go into Ghost and probably stay there for a large portion of TWOW.

I don't know about the Battle of Winterfell but the show has changed my mind about Stannis winning it and I think the Battle of the Bastards is a real possibility in the books.  But whether that happens in TWOW or ADOS I don't know.

Benjen Stark will return apparently but I hope he doesn't.  He has been away for years and it's a ridiculous plotline if he is still alive and voluntarily didn't go back to the Wall.

4 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

I think the show has moved way beyond TWOW now.  We probably won't ever see the TWOW and I believe GRRM is changing his story to make it as different from the show as possible.

Dany won't be around when the siege of Meereen ends.  It's unlikely Dany will even get back to Meereen by the end of TWOW.  I think her final chapters in TWOW will be uniting and taking control of the Dothraki and leading them to Meereen.

R+L=J will be true but I doubt it will officially revealed in TWOW.

I think Cersei's arc is going to follow a very similar path to the show but for different reasons.  Varys wants Cersei on the throne because he believes it weakens it so he'll engineer it to happen.  I also believe Cersei will destroy the Sept and kill the High Sparrow and Marg like in the show.  Vary's plans will come to nought due to a grayscale plague.  This plague will also be used as an excuse to burn Shireen.

I really don't want Jon to become King in the North but I think it's inevitable.  I don't think his resurrection will be anywhere near as fast as in the show though.  He'll go into Ghost and probably stay there for a large portion of TWOW.

I don't know about the Battle of Winterfell but the show has changed my mind about Stannis winning it and I think the Battle of the Bastards is a real possibility in the books.  But whether that happens in TWOW or ADOS I don't know.

Benjen Stark will return apparently but I hope he doesn't.  He has been away for years and it's a ridiculous plotline if he is still alive and voluntarily didn't go back to the Wall.

I hope you are very wrong about nearly all your predictions.

I think grrm said danny and tyrion will meet in the book (towards the middle or end?) however I think if you read the realeased chaps you will find out about what happens with the siege of meereen

I change my opinion about what happens to stannis every year. I mean, his northern army can t be defeated because there aren t any more northern soldiers and at the same time I don t think he will win winterfell. So I think he somehow has to return to the Wall where something will happen to him and jon will end up in charge of the army and eventually somehow king in the north? Oh, and I kind of hope that in the first jon chapters bran sends him dreams/visions about important stuff related to the ww and kind of trains his warging abilities (like arya was starting to do if I am not mistaken).

In regards to KL, I agree that it will be very similar with the people revolting against cersei and declaring Aegon as the true king.

And a greyscale plague would be something grrm might do (completly unexpected) but I fail to see what it could do for the story besides weakning westeros even further...

And there are a lot of interesting things that might have happened to Benjen. however by now he must have been a captive from the wildlings, cotf or others (for misterious reasons) and maybe alister will end up saving him?

5 hours ago, divica said:

I hope you are very wrong about nearly all your predictions.

I think grrm said danny and tyrion will meet in the book (towards the middle or end?) however I think if you read the realeased chaps you will find out about what happens with the siege of meereen

I change my opinion about what happens to stannis every year. I mean, his northern army can t be defeated because there aren t any more northern soldiers and at the same time I don t think he will win winterfell. So I think he somehow has to return to the Wall where something will happen to him and jon will end up in charge of the army and eventually somehow king in the north? Oh, and I kind of hope that in the first jon chapters bran sends him dreams/visions about important stuff related to the ww and kind of trains his warging abilities (like arya was starting to do if I am not mistaken).

In regards to KL, I agree that it will be very similar with the people revolting against cersei and declaring Aegon as the true king.

And a greyscale plague would be something grrm might do (completly unexpected) but I fail to see what it could do for the story besides weakning westeros even further...

And there are a lot of interesting things that might have happened to Benjen. however by now he must have been a captive from the wildlings, cotf or others (for misterious reasons) and maybe alister will end up saving him?

Regarding Dany and Tyrion meeting in TWOW - "Well, Tyrion and Dany will intersect, in a way, but for much of the book they're still apart," Martin said.  That was from 2014 so things may have changed by now.  But it doesn't bode well for the pace of the story.

I think the greyscale thing has been on the cards for a while and weakening Westeros further is exactly the point.  That's all the human conflict is about really.  Weakening Westeros so that when the Others do invade Westeros is weak and in chaos.  That sets the scene for the heroes to save the day against the odds.

6 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

Regarding Dany and Tyrion meeting in TWOW - "Well, Tyrion and Dany will intersect, in a way, but for much of the book they're still apart," Martin said.  That was from 2014 so things may have changed by now.  But it doesn't bode well for the pace of the story.

I think the greyscale thing has been on the cards for a while and weakening Westeros further is exactly the point.  That's all the human conflict is about really.  Weakening Westeros so that when the Others do invade Westeros is weak and in chaos.  That sets the scene for the heroes to save the day against the odds.

Yeah, but Westeros has been weakened since Storm of Swords.  How much weaker does it need to get?  

I wonder if the author is rewriting Winds to make it different or just not writing....either way, he has to be the first author whose own work will no longer be canon.  If in the show the big 5 survive as in the original outline, but some of them die in Winds, who but GRRM himself will know whether he made the changes on purpose, who knows how many changes he's making to justify things that the show discarded?  No One.

I do think Winds will eventually be published, it will be just like Feast....a collection of chapters where stuff happens, a lot of peripheral stuff and other important stuff, then it will end at some random point, with no beginning, middle or end.  But Winds is for sure the last book we're ever getting out of the author.  

On 8/6/2017 at 9:05 AM, Reginald blackfield said:

Agreed on Mereen

Jon's parentage same

Cersei has not been denied trial by combat in books so, drastic measures may not be necessary

Stannis will bleed the Boltons and Freys as he has the Karstarks with them (their leaders are his hostages)

Benjen is a mystery as is Coldhands but I think they are not the save too.

There are certain points - Tommen and Myrcella dying (in different ways, of course), Dany taking control of all the Dothraki at Vaes Dothrak, the burning of Shireen at Stannis' command under different circumstances and his subsequent death (although not necessarily in the next book), the Dany-Jon love story - but aside from that pretty much nothing is going to happen the way it did in the show.

Especially the stories of Arya, Sansa, and Bran should be completely different. These characters basically do no longer exist in the show nor do they replacements anything noteworthy in the show. They basically seem to have the same stories as children should have in the books. Doing nothing, sitting on their asses, and passing time walking (or rolling around) the castle.

@Cas Stark I agree with your assessment that GRRM is changing stuff up as he goes - mostly because he is bored with having written the same story for the last 20+ years, but partly because of things either he or fans did not enjoy about the show.  There a scene in a Tyrion chapter in ADWD where a few of Illyrio's people are complaining about how the fat man changes his plans and I think it is a little wink-wink from GRRM to his editors.

Archived