[Spoilers] EP704 Discussion

Ran

6 hours ago, hallam said:

Arya might well assume that Jon had taken the name Stark on becoming king of the north.

The point is that she does not think of her sister as 'Lady Stark'. Or for that matter, herself.

Are you actually trying to make sense of that ridiculous scene? Courageous effort, no doubt. Guards: "Nasty girl, we're so annoyed by you that we're going to give you all the relevant information while we simultaneously insult and threaten you!" Good luck with rationalizing that.

Stark kids reunion scene, reimagined:

Arya: So, what actually happened to Robb?

Bran: You saw him, didn't you? 

Arya: I thought so, but his head looked... different.

Sansa: Don't either of you care about what happened to me?

Arya: I don't think it could have been worse than what happened to me.

Bran: I saw Rickon, porcupined with arrows. He looked beautiful.

Sansa: But, but... what about meeee?

Arya: Sansa, Sansa, Sansa______

Ok, so the situation has changed a little regarding armies. Allow me to recount.

The North is now heavily recruiting from all loyal houses, including the disloyal Karstarks and Umbers. The standing army must also include the Whiteharbour garrison and navy, the strength of the Arryn allies, loyal River lords and possible remnants of the Bolton reserves. Who knows how many, but considering they are arming children, we can assume it is going to become a lot. 30K+

The Night's Watch has fuck all, but now the Wildlings will be adding their numbers to its strength. From hundreds to thousands.

The Lannister + allies army had mostly reached the region of King's Landing = Kingsland? (sorry, Australian joke). The figure of 50K resonates with me, although it was far less than that when they appeared in Roman legion formation at Highgarden. Perhaps 30K

Highgarden was already a large army, yet it appears that Jaime only fought the castle guard, so I would say that the remainder is divided between those who were commandeered by Lord Tarly and those who remain at large. Let's call it 10K+

The Dothraki landed at Dragonstone AND the Mainland. Those remaining on Dragonstone couldn't possibly have been shipped to the Mainland by the Ironborn as that fleet had been scuppered by Euron, so we must assume that Dany attacked Jaime with only a portion of her Dothraki. Remaining Dothraki 30K+

The Unsullied went to Casterly Rock and suffered major casualties. However, Grey Worm's gambit got them in before attrition mounted. Remaining Unsullied 30K+

The Freys were all slaughtered, but their soldiers remain intact. 10K at least

The Riverlander Lords are unsighted since the Blackfish, but one must assume Lord Edmure is rallying them. 10K or less

The Storm Lords haven't been sighted since Renly bit the dust. Several went with Stannis, many went with the Tyrells, but the remainder are unsighted. 5K at least.

Dorne has 10K spears, but only 3 of them have fought so far in this series. Nuff said

The Iron Born don't have huge numbers and Euron has ships and apparently, but apparently the sea strength of the Redwynnes counts for nothing.

The Golden Company was mentioned last week as a possible mercenary company for Cersei to enlist via the Iron Bank. Stayed tuned.

Advantage Dany, but not if she divides her armies further.

Advantage Cersei, if she gets the gold to repay the Iron Bank and engages the Golden Company (bring on the Blackfyres!!! Beneath the Gold the bitter steel!!!!!!!!!)

Advantage Sansa, with the 3-eyed raven, a Faceless Woman, a master spy, and the BWB on their way, unless she goes Marcia Brady again.

Disadvantage Yara, with a likely return of D&D to senseless rapey scenes we don't want to know about

Disadvantage Olenna. 

Battle of the 5 Queens becomes 3 + 1 King

19 hours ago, Capo Ferro said:

(about Arya/Brienne's "duel")

[…] And the criticisms based on the differences in their respective sizes are overstated. 

[…] the whole thing isn't quite so ludicrous as people are suggesting.

Exactly, specialy when everyone was so excited by Syrio Forel defeating several Lannister guards with a wooden sword in season 1…

6 hours ago, StepStark said:

Are you actually trying to make sense of that ridiculous scene? Courageous effort, no doubt. Guards: "Nasty girl, we're so annoyed by you that we're going to give you all the relevant information while we simultaneously insult and threaten you!" Good luck with rationalizing that.

Because the dialogue is by far the least believable part of a series premised on three dragons fighting off a zombie army.

Sniping and snarking really doesn't make me think people are clever. If you don't like the show, watch wheel of fortune. 

27 minutes ago, hallam said:

Because the dialogue is by far the least believable part of a series premised on three dragons fighting off a zombie army.

Sniping and snarking really doesn't make me think people are clever. If you don't like the show, watch wheel of fortune. 

I wish there were a Like button.

17 hours ago, Holly Macaroni said:

I understand it's a joke.

The thing is, when you're the right hand man of your king, who's been taken hostage by the other queen, why make a joke about switching sides in front of said queen's main advisor?

It's really careless and weird.

He's just trying to ease the tension while talking to a seemingly shy person. Looking way to into it. 

On 7 Αυγούστου 2017 at 4:23 AM, Pandean said:

Those Sansa/Arya hugs warm my heart omg cuteness

NOW BE GOOD TO EACH OTHER 

I don't know if Arya hugging Bran and getting hugged back versus Bran just letting Sansa hug him is a tell of something or just because Bran is learning a little better how to human

.....Oh, wait, "I saw you at the Crossroads"

"Cersei's on her list of names"

....Bran needs some lessons humanity

Bran is not a human now... He lost his humanity.. He is the three eyed Raven now

2 hours ago, hallam said:

Congratulations on epic misunderstanding of what the strength of the story should be (and is in the books). FYI, in a story with dragons and zombies the dialogue actually MUST be realistic for the entire story to be considered a good drama.

2 hours ago, hallam said:

Wheel of fortune? Seriously? LOL! This is priceless! Where did you learn logic, dude? "If you have a problem with the show's stupidity, go watch wheel of fortune" - that is what you're essentially saying! Do you even realize the absurdity of that comment? Please, just explain to me where is the logic in that! Pretty please!

Oh and don't be so intimidated yet, we only started.

3 hours ago, StepStark said:

Congratulations on epic misunderstanding of what the strength of the story should be (and is in the books). FYI, in a story with dragons and zombies the dialogue actually MUST be realistic for the entire story to be considered a good drama.

Wheel of fortune? Seriously? LOL! This is priceless! Where did you learn logic, dude? "If you have a problem with the show's stupidity, go watch wheel of fortune" - that is what you're essentially saying! Do you even realize the absurdity of that comment? Please, just explain to me where is the logic in that! Pretty please!

Oh and don't be so intimidated yet, we only started.

There are men who teach people to pick up women by insulting them. It is called 'negging'. You appear to be trying something of the same. The attempt at derision, the constant complaining. No, it really doesn't make you look important to tell us why you thing the show is rubbish.

If you have written a best selling series for TV then you can comment in those terms. But I rather doubt you would out of simple professional courtesy and because you would understand what the scene was designed to show about the characters.

14 minutes ago, Pandean said:

Very true. 

T felt weird though.. When we last saw him with his uncle north of the wall he seemed to be normal... Maybe it's because he hadn't seen much till then.. Now he has seen too much to have human concerns. The actor (Isaac) said that Bran changed.. There is a book that he can see everything and he is still in the 1st page...  He wasn't ready to become the three eyed Raven but there was no time..

7 hours ago, hallam said:

There are men who teach people to pick up women by insulting them. It is called 'negging'. You appear to be trying something of the same. The attempt at derision, the constant complaining.

Are you flirting with me? LOL!!! If you are, don't, I'm not interested really.

No, it really doesn't make you look important to tell us why you thing the show is rubbish.

Oh I'm so sorry, I obviously missed the forum rule that says it's you who's deciding who's important enough to post here.

If you have written a best selling series for TV then you can comment in those terms. But I rather doubt you would out of simple professional courtesy and because you would understand what the scene was designed to show about the characters.

Well, you also didn't write a successful show, but that didn't stop you from worshiping every nonsense D&D put on screen and pretending that you "understand" the writing as a process.

There are men who teach people to pick up women by insulting them. It is called 'negging'. 

"Negs" are backhanded compliments, not insults. They are intended to be taken negatively, hence the name. But if the women took them as insults they wouldn't work. It's the mix of positive and negative that disarms them. 

It's a particular form of the general concept of teasing. Flirtation is full of teasing.

On 8/9/2017 at 10:25 AM, Nowy Tends said:

Exactly, specialy when everyone was so excited by Syrio Forel defeating several Lannister guards with a wooden sword in season 1…

Yeah, my biggest problem with it is that Brienne was a match for Jamie, and I don't see it making sense that Arya could be better than a two-handed Jamie. But at the same time, as you point out, there are tons of instances in the book and show where unexpected techniques trump power, skill, and strategical advantage. Syrio, Bronn, Strong Belwas, Oberyn, Rob's victories, the battle of the blackwater, the Sons of the Harpy, and lots of times with Stanis and the Mel. Therefore, it is easy for me to see a scene like this happening in the books. I doubt Brienne has much experience fighting against such a foreign style as she was taught to fight honorably, and has shown difficulty matching inferior fighters willing to fight dirty (Bronn mocks her training for this in the show). As presented, Arya seemed a bit too confident, but that is kind of where her character is at right now (hubris comes before the fall). It would have been cooler if they had brought Arya's Warging into the show though and she had used that to pull off something unexplainable in the fight.

Edited by Foldedpencil