[Spoilers] EP704 Discussion

Ran

Still pissed off about the whole bend the knee argument, lots of nits to pick with the battle, a few minor things elsewhere in the episode—but overall, this was the best episode since S5. It was actually fun to watch, and I didn't even have to turn my brain off to enjoy it.

Which is especially nice after it looked like things were getting worse week by week over in the first half of the season.

2 minutes ago, plectrum said:

All that matters is that Cersei doesn't get it either.  The Iron Bank will now abandon her.

Didn't Tarly say the gold was at the front of the train, and had already crossed through the gates into King's Landing, before the battle even started?

The usual nitpick with this episode, consistent with all the other episodes this season, is the complete disregard for the space time continuum - in that armies move around the continent with seemingly no effort or elapsed time.

I thought Nikolaj had a stronger voice. When he started yelling "Spears and Shields" it wasn't as impressive as I thought to be. The actor playing Randyll has much stronger voice, which is more appropriate for the commander.

There were couple of moments in the battle sequence that I thought were off, but it was truly amazing. Dany completely changed the game now.

Liked Arya and Sansa... Ah, the love :D 

I gave it a 9. I thought the battle was pretty well done, other than the Bronn leap at the end, but the episode had a bunch of weaker stuff, mainly at Winterfell. But the battle was excellent, especially:

• Shield walls can be effective against light cavalry, if said cavalry doesn't have dragons. I see people comparing this with the charge of the Rohirrim, but this was better because quite a lot of the charge was impeded, and only thanks to the dragon, did the Dothraki break through (whereas the Rohirrim just trample over the orcs like they're made of straw)
  • Dothraki using bows - fuck yes, I've been waiting for this since season 1. (the arakh design still sucks, though)
  • The intensity of seeing likable characters fighting against each other. I think this is the 2nd battle where this happens, after Castle Black, but I don't think Tormund and Ygritte were quite as likable then, as some of these characters are now; I didn't want Bronn to kill Drogon (and Dany) but at the same time I didn't want him to die, either; I didn't want Jaime to kill Dany, but at the same I didn't want him to die either. 
Edited by Corvinus

3 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Definitely the best episode so far this season.  I assume that Bronn will fish Jaime out of the water before the latter drowns, and they both avoid Dany's pep talk to the Lannister survivors...

I have a feeling Dany's pep talk will whittle down to join me or I'll burn you and I might just burn you anyway

Just now, Arataniello said:

The usual nitpick with this episode, consistent with all the other episodes this season, is the complete disregard for the space time continuum - in that armies move around the continent with seemingly no effort or elapsed time.

Well, they are closer to KL than they are to Highgarden, which means that it is plausible for Dany to ambush them since her army was in Dragonstone, which is located much closer to KL, than Highgarden is.

2 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

The intensity of seeing likable characters fighting against each other. I do believe this is the first battle where this happens; I didn't want Bronn to kill Drogon (and Dany) but at the same time I didn't want him to die, either; I didn't want Jaime to kill Dany, but at the same I didn't want him to die either. 

I felt exactly the same! Eager for Bron to get that arrow flying but not wanting it to hit its target.

3 minutes ago, Arataniello said:

Well to be fair, Euron's fleet must have run out of teleportation juice, because Dany was able to carry the Dothraki to Utah south of the Blackwater Rush, without him intervening yet again in ship travel.