[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Everyone has pretty much summed up my feelings on this. 

After Season 5 I stopped watching. I only watched the sixth series a few months ago as my girlfriend wanted me to watch the new series with her, so I reluctantly did so. As someone said in last weeks thread, I'm glad it has gotten so ridiculous that it means most of this crap won't appear in Winds.

I also criticised last weeks episode for it's VFX. I guess I saw where all that lovely budget went. Still, to piss it all up in one awesome battle at the expense of some key character points (Ghost) still doesn't justify it for me. 

Again, this is just all visual pleasure with zero character development. I hope Jamie is dead now but I really don't think that D&D have the balls to kill him now, or anyone that's a main character, yet this was the kind of realism (that no one is safe) that made the whole thing amazing and unpredictable in the first place. 

1. Those convenient cave paintings that just happened to be there and also spelled everything out for them...right down to have the white walkers depicted. :(  How unlikely. Watching I thought... "Are you kidding me?" but with more swearing.

2 The Ayra/Brienne fight. Ayra and her fighting has gotten very Mary Sue-ish. Brienne trained while growing up (probably practicing constantly AND has fought for years afterwords). As someone upthread said Ayra has a sword for a 7 year old and a few months of training. Brienne should have been able to disarm her very, very quickly. (Also poor Pod...Brienne treats him like dirt....they have ruined her character completely).

3. The whole "bend the knee thing". Seems pretty petty when your whole world (and everyone else's) is about to blow up.

4. I love Jaime but getting the scorpion out (and ready to use etc...) would have been #1 priority. (they brought that huge, heavy thing for a reason...then they don't use it until most of the Lannister army are shake n' baked.) He doesn't even have it ready to go!! What in the world was he thinking??

25 minutes ago, Jaime4Brienne said:

1. Those convenient cave paintings that just happened to be there and also spelled everything out for them...right down to have the white walkers depicted. :(  How unlikely. Watching I thought... "Are you kidding me?" but with more swearing.

Not to mention the obvious thing that these paintings prove nothing about the present. Cheryl will be actually marginally smarter when she´ll demand specimen of the wight.  

So if all that matters to Bran is the defeating the white walkers, it would be easier to fight them without their father's killer around pestering everyone. One would exterminate a gnat infestation if for no other reason than it's distracting. He's onto LF ("chaos is a ladder") but says nothing because... filler.

I like to read some comments from TV show fans. Many of them still try to guess what happens next and propose insane theories that make D&D look like very subtle geniuses. Has anybody else noticed these people? Are they in denial or something?

I hate to be this person but are D&D purposely trolling Kit Harington? In all of the previous seasons Emilia Clarke wore sandals and looks so short compared to almost everyone. Now Jon Snow finally has to do scenes with her and they have Dany in boots with heels? From the beach scene we can see Missandei isn't wearing heels only Dany is. It was odd enough that Jon had to get on his tippy-toes while Sansa slumped down so he could give her that brotherly kiss on the head. Now Dany who is usually described as short looks like she's only a few inches shorter then Jon Snow.

If Arya is wearing boots with heels when she and Jon are reunited then something is definitely up.

22 hours ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

Why is there still a stag on Kings Landing in the intro.  Cersei has taken all stags down and there is only Lannister Lions everywhere, no Baratheon banners.  But in the opening credits a stag is still on top of Kings Landing.  

According to a popular podcast, Brian Cogman has acknowledged that is a mistake in his tweets.  I can't be bothered to find proof.

2 hours ago, Camara said:

Political marriage, where? It will happen but should be seriously being considered by both sides since the first meeting.

BTW, no one questioned what will happen in Westeros when Daenerys dies, in throne or not? The Dothraki will just create khalasars and start pillaging everything. Oh well, I guess Daenerys doesn't care.

Bling, Cersei doesn't need her armies, now she will get the Golden Company.

Agree on all your complaints.  For the ones I quoted:

1. This is just the new GOT formula we want SHOCKING MOMENTS above character development and sensible stories.  This is clearly something that Jon and Davos would have discussed before arriving.  Dany knows this as she left Daario Hotbody behind because she understands the need for political marriage.  Don't worry, when they announce it (as the cliffhanger?  will they?) our social media feeds will be filled with the amazingness of this revelation.

2. This is a great point that didn't occur to me.  Being the messiah emperor of a barbarian horde is awfully inconvenient for your successor.  I assume that barbarian horde has politely been sticking to roads and starving while on the road to King's Landing.

3. I am hoping for the TWIST in this story that the IB has just been setting up Cersei this whole season.  "Thanks for your payment.  We've already lent it to that lady with dragons so she could bring The Golden Company to hold your former lands while she takes her dragons north.

43 minutes ago, JonSansaBranArya said:

Glad I wasn't the only one not impressed with Arya and Brienne.

It was horrible, but that's how the show has been for the past three seasons or so. Prior to that, I loved the fact that likable characters couldn't expect to win fights against stronger opponents just because they were, well, likable. All of that has has gone out the window now. Fan pandering, fan pandering, fan pandering.... 

Highgarden seemed to get caught unaware of the Lannister army marching upon them, and in turn the Lannister army got caught with their pants down by the Dothraki. How the FUCK does Jamie not have scouts in all directions ?? 

5 minutes ago, Relic said:

Highgarden seemed to get caught unaware of the Lannister army marching upon them, and in turn the Lannister army got caught with their pants down by the Dothraki. How the FUCK does Jamie not have scouts in all directions ?? 

I think the last person to employ scouts was Tywin at the battle of the Green Fork, and even then his scouts were shit as they couldn't distinguish between 2000 men and 20,000.

25 minutes ago, Relic said:

To make things worse.. last season Jaime actually berated the Freys for not using scouts and letting the Lannister army sneak up on them...

29 minutes ago, Relic said:

Not just the Dothraki but a bigass dragon. Shouldn't be too hard to spot.

Nothing holds an edge like Valyrian Steel.

Crafting it is a lost art.  What there is is all there will be.  Valyrian Steel blades are rare and precious things, kept as heirlooms, and not even the Lannisters with all their money can find someone willing to sell them.  They are basically magic.  They are sharp enough to cut through armor like paper.

If you use it as intended, you truly mean to kill someone, as evidenced by the dagger being loaned to an assassin to make sure he fucked Bran up but good.

So, someone tell me WHY

IN THE FUCK

is Arya using valyrian motherfucking steel in a training exercise?

It is bad enough that she's got Needle, which is live steel in its own right, against Brienne's obviously blunted sparring sword.  But when Brienne disarms her of Needle, Arya pulls out VALYRIAN STEEL in A FUCKING PRACTICE SESSION.  Does she hate Brienne?  Does she want her dead?  You would think so!  But they establish right before hand she clearly respects Brienne, and the hatchet is buried with Sansa so she wouldn't seem to want to take out Sansa's personal bodyguard.  But Valyrian Steel means I Aim To Kill You.  And Arya's pulling it on someone in Practice.  PRACTICE.

Obviously the intended takeaway from this scene is that Arya is little Johnny Badass (again).  Which most of the time I am fine with.  And I'm only a little annoyed at her smug posing with the blade behind her back and the gratuitous twirling of the blade.  That stuff is a little irritating and symptomatic of the Every Other TV Show, Ever factor creeping into Game Of Thrones at the expense of that spark that makes it unique and special that we all love.  But I can mostly look the other way because Arya is fun.  But live steel, and then Valyrian steel, completely took me out of this scene.  That wasn't badass, that was just being an ass.  That's either I want to kill you or I don't give a fuck if I do kill you, and Brienne would infer that message.  Arya would know she was sending that message.  Brienne should be livid and scared and ready to GTFO and stop serving this psycho, and she should have done more than just kick her in the chest (which was my favorite part of the scene by far btw, where's the "things you loved" thread?)

That was awful and heavily damaged a segment I really wanted to like

I'm also a little miffed that Davos has completely forgotten about his wife and is all in on trying to bone Missandei but Liam Cunningham is good enough of an actor to take the sting out of it and I (clearly) have bigger fish to fry this week.

Just wait till I get started on the Meera Reed thing.

I have a problem with the battle. it reminded me of David Nutter and Dance of Dragons in S509. I see seams and not-so-tight transitions. 
Nothing disastrous, in fact it is good work,  but Sapochnik and Marshall do better fitting work when there is action.
I wonder if this has to do with location? Sapochhnik and Marshall did all their work in NI, as I remember BoB took quite a while and Hardhome , Blackwater and Battle for Castle Black were at the quarry.
S5 work and this are location in Spain they may be time constrained? Yet I think Sapochnik and Marshall have a better eye for action.

With the episode only lasting 50 min. a bit of an abbreviation in this , why? Can't be budget, gezz HBO has it, it is chump change to Time-Warner. As before, HBO has no fixed time slots.

Even if syndicated later , HBO do that?, always made to fit (and blip out!).

Flaws in the rushes:

• The gold in the wagon (shown in the beginning, when Jamie takes out a bag of gold for Bronn) weighs far too much for a wooden wagon on wooden wheels drawn by some horses and on not-tarred (i.e. soft and uneven) underground. Even if the axes do not break, there would be no way to pull the wagon.

• Tyrion’s proposal to ship the Unsullied to the “mainland” is utterly stupid:

• Casterly Rock IS on the mainland (it is not an island)

• After the two devastating blows Dany’s armies suffered from Euron, any ship employment should be avoided, I think. Especially if it is not far from the Iron Islands (which happens to be the case with Casterly Rock).

• Tyrion suggesting to stick with the plan of laying siege to Kings Landing is – according to Tyrion’s initial own strategy – no longer advisable, as he wanted to avoid using Dothraki or Unsullied for this. Though, these are the only two armies Dany disposes of at that very moment.

• Why should the wall-paintings in the cave convince Dany of the existing of the Others? Tyrion could have told her that it is a tale 10.000 years old. The issue is this: Why after 10.000 years should they appear again?

• In episode 3, Dany was cold and arrogant towards Jon. One episode later she is obviously about to fall in love with him. Why this change?

• Dany asks Jon for his military advice, i.e. he becomes member of her war council. He is not even her ally, nor does he know the armies and lands south of the Neck, nor does/should he know about Dany’s military assets (ships, armies), nor can he know about strength and weaknesses of Unsullied and Dothraki. Anyway, his bla-bla response fells like prepared in advance with Tyrion.

• I miss Olenna, she had the truth of it: “Be a dragon”, “the Lords are like children, they must fear you”, “why then did you bother to bring the Dothraki across the sea”? Tyrion, Jon, Varys: Dany’s advisors do not want to use Dothraki, Unsullied, Dragons (at least not openly) in order not to affront the Westerosi people. Oh, and besides, Jon tells her: she has inherited the tarnished Targaeryen name, and she is not from the North etc. In short: Conquer Westeros but make sure no one is afraid of you and everyone loves you. As Olenna said, there is only one thing to do: Beg Cersei to surrender. This is so hippocratic. Tyrion used wildfire to defend KL, Cersei blew up the Sept with wildfire, Euron sinks whole fleets using fire, Varys was involved in the assassination attempt for pregnant Daenerys. And Dany is not allowed to use Dragonfire?

• The sword training between Brienne and Arya: as far as I can see, Brienne uses her Valyrian sword, not a blunted one. But even with blunted training swords you better have armour (see the training at Castle Black, in the show as well as in the book). From the fighting style I could believe that Arya was able to stop a move before hurting Brienne. But I cannot imagine Brienne being able to interrupt her vicious two-hand blows at full strength. And that against Arya without armour: The risk of hurting or killing Arya was huge.

• The scorpion appears complicated enough to handle and appears to be made for two or three men to load and fire. Bronn manages three shots in about 1 min, all on his own; has he been training offscreen?

• Daenerys should really think about wearing an armour and have a special saddle to ride Drogon (as the Targaeryens of old had). Hard to believe how she did not fall off Drogon’s back when he whirled in the air after being shot. By the way, Tyrion is (in book and show) a proven expert for the designing of special saddle constructions.

• Daenerys seemed to have excellent control of Drogon, so why not torch the archer-group that shot at her (they where clearly visible and well grouped), but instead torch the food wagons (no threat to Daenerys but worth a lot to supply her army).

What I liked:

• Jaimie obviously being stunned and shocked by the effect of dragonfire. He is motionless for quite a while in the middle of the battle, his face reflecting the horror he observes around him.

• Tyrion on the cliff being horrified and in distress seeing his brother in danger on the one hand, Lannister soldiers burning, and his Queen the reason for this. Fearing for Daenerys’ life as well as for Jaime’s.

• Daenerys verbally confronting Tyrion in an aggressive manner as to his failed military strategies and questioning his resolution to fight his own Family.

1 hour ago, Nowy Tends said:

So Missandei, who speaks 19 languages and is supposed to be clever and instructed, etc.., doesn't know what a bastard is? She looks like a 6-year-old school girl when she asks Jon why he doesn't his father's name…

as with every character on the show (since exhausting source material to copy directly from), the writers/show-runners will throw away anything resembling the well-established traits these characters once possessed if it allows them to remind the audience (for the 700th time) that Jon Snow is in fact a bastard.  

the first 6 seasons of the show simply do not matter anymore.  every character will do what the writers/show-runners need them to do at any given moment, regardless of that character's backstory, motivations or grasp of common knowledge.  it's just plug-and-play storytelling.

On 8/7/2017 at 0:53 AM, Nami said:

Bronn's plot armour is impressive. Maybe HE'S The Prince that was Promised.

YES!!  You've figured it out.  The only person with more plot armor is Cersei, but I suspect that hers will eventually fail, it's Bronn that could really make it at the rate this is going.  Oddily enough, the two with the extra biggest plot armor won't, or don't, do scenes together......hmm??  I thought Bronn lives to pick his fav Lannister, Jaime or Tyrion, but perhaps it is bigger than that. 

Archived