[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

9 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

BINGO!!  For reasons in book and even show, Cersei is well past her 'use by' date, especially as a full fledged and followed leader.  LF, it's hard to say, I'm think the Ds wrote LF into a corner of their own devising, but, both need to go.  Twisting logic in knots, as well as just marking time as well, is making the entire story suffer.  Just like bad food, the smell is contaminating all around it, LOL

Yep.  I"m slightly more tolerant of Cersei, because, despite the stupidity, at least she has things to do that are relevant to the story even if she's doing what Aegon will do. LF has literally done NOTHING since arriving at the WF.  Nothing.  He skulks.  He compliments Sandra.  He randomly declares his love for the dead Cat Stark.  Skulks some more.  The only thing he has said that is more than one line was the acid tripping speech of fighting your enemies in your mind all the time.....

14 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yep, I complained about this also.  WF looks like the brothel at the Wall.  Everything is old, dark and dirty. 

9 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

No wonder LF feels right at home. Wonder where they are keeping the dollar peep show at.

LOL  I have figured it out:  BatFinger's Blue Light Special Brothel.  Stark daughters cost extra.  :P

8 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Yeah, there's candle wax all over the tables, they just stick them right on and let them drip, you'd think even small folk would have thought: candleholder would be nice, maybe stick it in a dish or something. Of course, such things are beneath Sandra's notice as a woman on top, she's got to tell the armorers how to make armor.

Maybe we could get the Inept Armor to take up interest in interior design. 

Just now, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Ha ha ha! He should quit rather than work for Sandra the Micromanager. Preferably after a "I've been making armor since before you were born, sweet summer child" rant.

It's down to nothing with this show, but some illustrations in a general sort of way for the books.

The show makes no sense, the characters are all extremely unlikable, the least they could do is turn the lights up so we could see, and give us something nice to look at.

55 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I agree. Arya had every intention of making this a homecoming, as Arya Stark of Winterfell, therefore you'd expect her to want her to stable her horse in the castle's stables. Instead, apparently, she stables it outside, not sure where, because I have not seen much evidence of the wintertown even existing in the show. And as you say, it was all done as a throwback to that KL scene in season 1, only it took three times as long. It seems that D&D are using this season to have a whole bunch of throwbacks to the beginning, and may desire the story to come full circle, because that's "cool."

They've been doing that last season too, I think it's less call back as much as trying to recapture the magic of season .

Danny coming out of the fire was an obvious call back to season 1, Dany reciting Drogo's speech is another one, as is Jon's King in the Nort moment,and this season Jon putting a dagger to LF's throat.

5 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I thought it was Arya that was hangin' out with Gendry the blacksmith.

But, maybe I'm wrong.

7 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yep.  I"m slightly more tolerant of Cersei, because, despite the stupidity, at least she has things to do that are relevant to the story even if she's doing what Aegon will do. LF has literally done NOTHING since arriving at the WF.  Nothing.  He skulks.  He compliments Sandra.  He randomly declares his love for the dead Cat Stark.  Skulks some more.  The only thing he has said that is more than one line was the acid tripping speech of fighting your enemies in your mind all the time.....

My speculation is that Sansa will take care of LF in the books before she heads north in the books, which is why LF has no plot in the north.

15 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Exactly!!  The LF character at this point is useless.  He just sits there waiting for his death, snarking through the scenes.  I suspect that Aiden feels the same way and that's the reason for the ridiculous rasp in his voice. 

33 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

The dreary funeral garb, the black Romulan uniforms and chain accessories. I get the costume designer is off in her own world, but you'd think some luxe fabrics and precious jewels might be in order for the highborn families.

From season 1 the show has gone for browns and black , subdued colors. Very few brights and even then still has that middle ages cast to it. A time when there were not many dyes.

Michele Clapton has a great eye for a 'dense' design in costume, show dresses like no other.on TV.

I am not found of her jewelry design.

They are now trapped by their own conventions and transparently waiting until the last/next to last episode of the season to kill Littlefinger off because that's when they do their "big" moments and have epic episodes that Break The Internet or whatever.  Which is really odd when they're rushing so quickly through other threads.

One conversation between Sansa and Royce is all it takes and with 3 Starks reunited there's really no reason to dally.  That alone should put him in desperation mode to make something happen.  And you could have that backfire all sorts of ways and force resolution.  But all that has to be deferred to Episode 6 or 7 so he can die in Episode 6 or 7, not before.

Everybody knows stories are made up and puppets aren't real but people like to suspend disbelief and the art comes in using consistent characters with plausible motives to camouflage the plot rails.  The camouflage isn't well made these days and we can see the tracks. And that's disappointing for several reasons, but mostly because they're not that far off from good camouflage.  In many cases it'd just take a little more dialogue here or there, a little better attention to detail, and it's just not being done.

There are plausible tensions and motives and plot hooks they could use to plausibly forestall Littlefinger's death to the end of the season like they want.  But they're just not happening.

4 minutes ago, boojam said:

From season 1 the show has gone for browns and black , subdued colors. Very few brights and even then still has that middle ages cast to it. A time when there were not many dyes.

Michele Clapton has a great eye for a 'dense' design in costume, show dresses like no other.on TV.

I am not found of her jewelry design.

Dany was in white or blue until this season.  Sansa was in color.  Cersei was in color.  Cat was in color.  Now literally every character is wearing black.  Plus, sorry, those costumes are horribly unflattering, Dany, Cersei, Missy.......they are ugly in any color.

I think that black in the actual middle ages was actually something that only rich people could afford, the dye to make something black was the most expensive of all.

11 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

Maybe.  But also, flying dragons are pretty good at burning up scouts.

Nobody uses scouts in GOT.

You don't just move several thousands of soldiers several miles, without somebody not noticing. Well, maybe unless you're in the North and it's the Vale Army or something. Or you're Euron and you're packin' a Romulan cloaking device.

At this point, D&D should have gone with a "love at first sight" thing between Jon Snow and Dany - if, in their first scene together, there was some kind of force or power that just seemed to draw the two together - something mystical or magnetic - we could have gone with the whole "Ice and Fire" brought together instead of wasting time with...whatever it is Jon and Dany have going on. "Love at thirst sight" would have been more believable than what we've got going on.

Isolated, the Big Battle was very nice (lots of great imagery, great visuals). In context and with a little bit of thought...it didn't make much sense, as others have already stated. A few simple solutions would have been to maybe have one of the smaller two dragons "scout" out from way above where the Lannisters were headed, maybe have the Dothraki ambush Lannister scouts...even quick scenes that might replace Westeros Girl Talk.

The big problem with the show right now is Rushed Time. Nothing takes time to unfold, it all just happens so quickly - "we've got to get these people here, and these people there". Dany is here one moment, there the next. Varys is in Dorne, next scene he's on a boat sailing from Essos.

Most of this could be cleared up with a little thought - in episode 1, Dany or Tyrion remark that the Dothraki Horde was dropped off on the mainland and is mobilized. Then we could believe that they had started moving towards King's Landing - at least that's something. Right now, a few scenes in isolation are good or fun, but overall within context of the story, nothing makes sense.

20 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Nobody uses scouts in GOT.

You don't just move several thousands of soldiers several miles, without somebody not noticing. Well, maybe unless you're in the North and it's the Vale Army or something. Or you're Euron and you're packin' a Romulan cloaking device.

I agree that Euron's exploits have been unreasonable.  But Dany landing her army somewhere in Blackwater bay not too far from where the Lannister army was crossing (the Blackwater Rush) and coming down at a gallop, burning up anyone they happened upon, is fairly reasonable.

As for a realistic situation, where the Lannister army might not know where exactly Dany's army is at.
The Dothraki would actually be perfect for conducting screening operations, keeping an enemy army somewhat blind as to the exact location of Dany's main army.
But, I highly doubt Dany would be able to disembark thousands of men onto mainland Westeros and the Lannister army would be completely clueless that her forces are in the area and did make a landing.

On 8/7/2017 at 5:13 PM, SuperMario said:

Yep. Davos was one of the last characters on this show that was not fully tainted by the Dudebros. Now, he is just backup fodder who also creeps on Missandei like a drunk uncle at Thanksgiving.

Why does everyone assumes Davos is hitting on Missandei?! I think he tries to break the ice as advisor of the king with advisor of the queen. Considering how unemotional, solemn and silent Misssandei is - it is quite appropriate.I didn't see any flirting at all. I also think he was mocking everything Missandei said a little bit

1 hour ago, plastic throne said:

Sorry to intervene but I have to put this one out.

This has nothing to do with cleverness of a rider, it is simply impossible for a horse to charge into a spear wall or into an obstacle because horses aren't dumb, they have a survivor instinct. Instead they'd either stop completely few meters from the obstacle (making them vulnerable) or go for a nearest opening, a hole in the enemy infantry line. That (last one) was actually a valid tactics fighting the so called more 'cavalry' typed nations/armies. Rome did it to nullify Carthage elephant charges for example.

To be fair though, it is not your fault, Hollywood does love these 'smash onto spears' cavalry charges since, well, ever and thus wrongly portray how armies would fight in medieval/ancient era. There's more (very common and often dumb) 'hollywodish' mistakes as well but let's leave that for some other time.

You make a good point. But the fault here then lies with GRRM. He put in the book that the Dothraki charged the Unsullied at the battle of Qohor many times over. And book Dothraki are not so different than show Dothraki, and by that I mean they are still only light cavalry. (but they use bows more)

But I have ask, wouldn't a properly trained war horse be more "courageous" than a regular horse, and actually not balk if a human obstacle is in the way? 

I thought the battle actually did ok in this regard. There a couple of instances where the Dothraki horses clearly stop, or at least slow down, in the front of the Lannister shields. And other instances when they plow through, but where the shield wall had lost integrity. Now charging through fire was completely stupid.

Archived