[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

6 hours ago, Relic said:

Highgarden seemed to get caught unaware of the Lannister army marching upon them, and in turn the Lannister army got caught with their pants down by the Dothraki. How the FUCK does Jamie not have scouts in all directions ?? 

I still don't get how a huge army can walk the length of the reach to highgarden yet nobody see them... must'ave used "Goat Tracks"....
And with all the ships gone, how did the masses of Dothraki get to the mainland... march pass Kings landing and catch the Lanisters unawares... ?

And it still bothers me how Dragon Stone has NO port... And no small folk.... You also never see any Dothraki camps or horses.

1 hour ago, SuperMario said:

And another annoying thing with Dany's land invasion and how it went unnoticed. In order to sail off Dragonstone and attack the Lannister forces somewhat near King's Landing, Dany likely would have landed somewhere straight west of DragonStone and then marched southwest. That entire area is part of the Crownlands and loyal to the throne. They would have passed by literally thousands of people and likely other keeps and castles who would have reported Dany's army to King's Landing who in turn would have reported it to Jaime in the field.

Same thing as with the KotV taking Moat Cailin and marching through the entire North without Ramsay noticing last year. I guess we don't just have Valyrian teleporters now, but also huge invisible cloaks capable of hiding entire armies. 

37 minutes ago, Ser Didymus said:

the books were all about the journey, NOT the destination.

the show is ONLY about the destination, without giving a second thought to the journey (metaphorical or otherwise).

a series of visually extravagant scenes without any true meaning... strung together with pointless dialogue delivered by characters whose motivations and emotions change to fit the moment.  but i have to admit, that is one fine looking dragon.

perfectly said

43 minutes ago, Bear42 said:

Anyone else think that Bronn jumping in front of a fire breathing dragon to save Jaime is the most out of character thing ever shown in this series?

Bronn is well established as a self interested, amoral sellsword who does nothing out of charity.  Earlier in the episode it starts becoming apparent that he will probably never receive the awards he's been promised and he isn't shown to have a strong relationship with Jaime.  Even his good friend Tyrion didn't get that kind of treatment from Bronn when he was looking for a champion to face The Mountain, and those two were much closer.  In a show where character motivation changes by the second driven solely by what the plot demands, this was in my opinion the most egregious case. Dickon would've made more sense.

Last season some people started to joke that Bronn might have a thing for Jaime, because he was constantly remarking on Jaime's good looks. I guess my headcanon is now that this is actually true and that Bronn tried to save the man he loves...

3 minutes ago, A bowl of brown said:

Just had  a thought. What if the infinite puddle Larry falls into is actually a wormhole. And thats how everyones teleporting all the time and why no one uses scouts. We've been way too hard on d&d it all makes perfect sense.

Is that where Ghost is?

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Welcome!

Yup, if Dragonstone was apparently empty since Stannis left, then it would not surprise me if that was the case. But I would say that there is a garrison in each of those castles, but have no one to give them orders, so they're all in a party mood (except the blokes at Highgarden, they may be out of food and drink)

Also Sunspear doesn't exist, it's all Dorne. And I don't think Storm's End exists, either. Davos rowed Mel to a cave in a cliff where there was a grated gate, and the shadow baby went through that place... to sneak in Renly's tent which was in the open.

You're right I just called them that in my head. But my point is 6 of the 7 kingdoms castles are basically empty, and no one cares, lol. They even cleaned out two of them!! I just find that funny after how a lot of people are so proud of their family and their name, but their home now means nothing to them. Also they are very well fortified, it be nice to have a couple to go to if somehow things turn worse for either Cersei or Dany. 

Ah well, common sense be damned. 

2 minutes ago, A bowl of brown said:

Just had  a thought. What if the infinite puddle Larry falls into is actually a wormhole. And thats how everyones teleporting all the time and why no one uses scouts. We've been way too hard on d&d it all makes perfect sense.

Good thought.

My theory is that there really is a giant called Mekombe, or whatever, and he plucks whole armies from one place and deposits them in another, but he doesn't take sides, so he doesn't give anyone a heads up.

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

Good thought.

My theory is that there really is a giant called Mekombe, or whatever, and he plucks whole armies from one place and deposits them in another, but he doesn't take sides, so he doesn't give anyone a heads up.

Like it. Although wouldnt that make Mekombe a consistent character? Couldn't have that.

30 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Good thought.

Like putting two male siamese fighting fish in teh same bowl.  I like it!

Don't know if people saw this year

https://nypost.com/2017/08/08/why-this-season-of-game-of-thrones-is-kind-of-bad/

Not that I agree with the reasons why GOT is not good, I think the payoffs properly done would have been an emotional high, but at least some people are noticing they just aren't getting the same kick from the show that they used to.

What happened to Cersei's Queensguard. Historically, they have served for life. Is Ser Gregor considered a member of the order? 

And what of the Lord Commander, Ser Kingslayer? He doesn't wear his white cloak anymore. 

I understand why Jon left the NW. His "death" and resurrection allowed him an out on a technicality.

It seems to me that the show runners are just making it up as they go along. The KG paid a pivotal role in the first few seasons. It doesn't appear that Cersei has replaced Ser Merwyn after Arya etched him off of her list and what about Ser Loras? Forgive me if I'm missing something, but how was he to marry Cersei? Did the king absolve him of his vows? Even so, after he was murdered at the Sept of Baelor with the rest of his family, who replaced him on the KG?

Is the only known member of the KG,  Ser Gregor? I guess he's big enough to count for seven men. 

I think Dany needs her own Queensguard. For obvious reasons, she shouldn't use any Dothraki or Unsullied for that role. Tyrion should advise her to elevate knights from prominent houses to serve her in the capacity of QG.

1 minute ago, Ser Snowflake said:

I think Dany needs her own Queensguard. For obvious reasons, she shouldn't use any Dothraki or Unsullied for that role. Tyrion should advise her to elevate knights from prominent houses to serve her in the capacity of QG.

I have to disagree.  Loyalty is more important than politics.  Look what happened to the Kingsguard after Robert took the throne.  Jon Arryn was a politician and he awarded positions based on political advantages.  The KG became crap after that.  Daenerys should surround herself with people who will be completely loyal to her.  Bring back Daario Naharis and Quaithe.  Jorah's return will help.

What really got to me this episode was the lack of reaction of men to the dragon. I mean, seriously, you see this dragon burning your peers who are standing with you in a line and you don't, you know, break and ran away, try to hide, or something like that?

In addition, why on earth had Drogon fly in from the side of the Dothraki attack? Why didn't he not show up from behind to take the Lannisters in the rear?

A dragon can fly.

I also see no reason why a dragon somehow has to mimic the kind of attack pattern of a bomber or air fighter. Could he just fly up out of the reach of any arrows, scorpion bolts, etc. and then come down for an attack like an eagle or hawk, only to gain altitude quickly again, evading any counterattacks?

It may be another thing if dragons attack ships or castle (Meraxes was brought down by a scorpion bolt in the eye during one of the attacks on Hellholt) since you have to come back again and again to really destroy the target.

But horses and men should be quickly dispersed by a creature as large and powerful as Drogon. There is simply no proper defense possible against such a creature, and a counterattack only works if the men involved in it are fine with the idea that hurting/killing the beast can only be accomplished if you are willing to die in the process. And how many men are fine with that?

Death is also not that unlikely in a conventional battle but it is one thing to face an armored knight in combat and quite another to face a fire-breathing dragon.

7 hours ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

Nothing holds an edge like Valyrian Steel.

Crafting it is a lost art.  What there is is all there will be.  Valyrian Steel blades are rare and precious things, kept as heirlooms, and not even the Lannisters with all their money can find someone willing to sell them.  They are basically magic.  They are sharp enough to cut through armor like paper.

If you use it as intended, you truly mean to kill someone, as evidenced by the dagger being loaned to an assassin to make sure he fucked Bran up but good.

So, someone tell me WHY

IN THE FUCK

is Arya using valyrian motherfucking steel in a training exercise?

It is bad enough that she's got Needle, which is live steel in its own right, against Brienne's obviously blunted sparring sword.  But when Brienne disarms her of Needle, Arya pulls out VALYRIAN STEEL in A FUCKING PRACTICE SESSION.  Does she hate Brienne?  Does she want her dead?  You would think so!  But they establish right before hand she clearly respects Brienne, and the hatchet is buried with Sansa so she wouldn't seem to want to take out Sansa's personal bodyguard.  But Valyrian Steel means I Aim To Kill You.  And Arya's pulling it on someone in Practice.  PRACTICE.

Obviously the intended takeaway from this scene is that Arya is little Johnny Badass (again).  Which most of the time I am fine with.  And I'm only a little annoyed at her smug posing with the blade behind her back and the gratuitous twirling of the blade.  That stuff is a little irritating and symptomatic of the Every Other TV Show, Ever factor creeping into Game Of Thrones at the expense of that spark that makes it unique and special that we all love.  But I can mostly look the other way because Arya is fun.  But live steel, and then Valyrian steel, completely took me out of this scene.  That wasn't badass, that was just being an ass.  That's either I want to kill you or I don't give a fuck if I do kill you, and Brienne would infer that message.  Arya would know she was sending that message.  Brienne should be livid and scared and ready to GTFO and stop serving this psycho, and she should have done more than just kick her in the chest (which was my favorite part of the scene by far btw, where's the "things you loved" thread?)

That was awful and heavily damaged a segment I really wanted to like

LOL  Deep Love for you 'talkin' about Practice, man, PRACTICE!!' :lmao:

40 minutes ago, Ser Snowflake said:

What happened to Cersei's Queensguard. Historically, they have served for life. Is Ser Gregor considered a member of the order? 

And what of the Lord Commander, Ser Kingslayer? He doesn't wear his white cloak anymore. 

I understand why Jon left the NW. His "death" and resurrection allowed him an out on a technicality.

It seems to me that the show runners are just making it up as they go along. The KG paid a pivotal role in the first few seasons. It doesn't appear that Cersei has replaced Ser Merwyn after Arya etched him off of her list and what about Ser Loras? Forgive me if I'm missing something, but how was he to marry Cersei? Did the king absolve him of his vows? Even so, after he was murdered at the Sept of Baelor with the rest of his family, who replaced him on the KG?

Is the only known member of the KG,  Ser Gregor? I guess he's big enough to count for seven men. 

Jaime was thrown out of the KG by Tommen.  Apparently he and Cersei have elected not to reinstate him so that he can devote his time to Lannistering.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

But I have ask, wouldn't a properly trained war horse be more "courageous" than a regular horse, and actually not balk if a human obstacle is in the way?

Of course. History of Europe is full of heavy cavalery charges against "walls" of shields. Look at the Bayeux Tapestry…

That's why units of specialized pikemen were created…

Archived