[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I guess one thing that truly bothered me about the battle is the location, and that it happened in such an open place.

• So they are somewhere along the Blackwater Rush, but not near KL, because it looks like they are trying to ford the river, rather than use barges and ferries which would be required if you're right at KL. But this area looks like Utah, despite being an area that is essentially the border between the Riverlands, and the Reach, two fertile regions, with plenty of water, and cultivated land.

Didn't watch, but shouldn't they have come up the Rose Road to KL?

You don't rush your cavalry in and create a melee prior to air support.  She had to burn a good number of her Dothraki along with Team Lannister.  Better strategy would have been enveloping Lannister's forces to prevent escape during the weenie roast.

Dany needs to respect the idea of preserving her forces.

I raise my peace banner and for once am willing to oversse the logical flaws the show has suffered throughout. For the first time in S7 a good episode, only few useless dialogues, good action and - within the parameters of the show - convincing scenes..

But - sorry - now I have to dip my peace banner. Must criticize however three serious flaws (in increasong order):

1. Why are Viserion and Rhaegon not following Drogon? they did so in Mereen.

2. The fight between Brienne and Arya: No blunted swords, Brienne was hardly able to control her blows, she would never have been able to stop a strike before hurting Arya, had Aray not evaded.

3. Dany knew abut the fact that Jamie's convoy held the supply wagons. But, despite well controlling Drogon, she chose to put them on fire, while she woudl have had need of them dearly, for her armies, e.g. at Dragonstone and Casterly Rock

·         I still have no clue what Littlefinger is supposed to be plotting, if anything at all

·         Arya behaved extremely arrogant in the sparring. How she got back to their feet was laughable, and when I saw her conceited posing immediately afterwards I rooted for Brienne to score another kick.

·         Jon  finding cave paintings of White Walkers in Dragonstone was so…AAARGH.. I do not even find any useful adjective.

·         Meera having to leave like an unbridled two-legged reindeer.  She deserved better than that. (On the other hand – She does not have a plot point anymore most probably )

·         The field of fire battle was very good, but not without small problems: a) What did Jaime lecture the Freys at Riverrun? Setting up perimeter guards!   B) The most useful place for an AA-Gun is far away from the person to use it  c) I hate these Hollywood stereotype of horse charging full speed for five miles before reaching the enemy. As if horses do not get exhausted.d) A Dothraki horde – in fact a colony of termites supply wise – marching unnoticed through the Stormlands (or Crownlands, or the Reach or wherever) e) Dothraki being immune to fire

·         Talking of stereotypes: The dumb guard of Winterfell

It blows me away that more folks aren't bothered by the ridiculousness of Jaime's "death". He got knocked into the water 8 feet off shore yet managed to sink into a 40 foot hole!! After a pretty good episode to end it with a scene from Sharktopus vs Crockzilla is ludicrous!!! The spectacle of Drogon right next to stupidity of Jaime's demise bothers me more than anything i've seen this season!

16 minutes ago, Super Mario said:

It blows me away that more folks aren't bothered by the ridiculousness of Jaime's "death". He got knocked into the water 8 feet off shore yet managed to sink into a 40 foot hole!! After a pretty good episode to end it with a scene from Sharktopus vs Crockzilla is ludicrous!!! The spectacle of Drogon right next to stupidity of Jaime's demise bothers me more than anything i've seen this season!

That creek or whatever was supposed to be Blackwater Rush, lol but when he fell in, it may have well been the St Lawrence River for Pete's sake.

4 hours ago, Lockjaw of House Boltagon said:

Yep. 

Characters are basically treating castles and strongholds like Monopoly pieces. Like, Stannis leaves Dragonstone to gather dust and now the Lannisters "sacrifice" Casterly Rock for "strategy" like they're playing Yugioh and setting up trap cards. 

Why couldn't the writers have at least had Cersei saying something like "Jaime told me that the forces he left at Casterly Rock were sufficient to occupy the invaders for weeks.  No matter, they cannot hold it."  Make losing CR seem like a calculated risk rather than an actual strategy.  Of course, that would just highlight how the Tyrells somehow became one of the most powerful houses in Westeros without knowing how to fight.  I swear, a skeleton force made up of cooks led by Hot Pie could have held High Garden longer than the Tyrells did.

42 minutes ago, Super Mario said:

Take it as more quick time passage. :lol: Just like armies and navies teleport across the map, and we're supposed to assume that time did pass in a normal fashion, but details are not important, we are supposed to assume that the current dragged Jaime from the shore to the middle of the river, we just didn't see that part. ;) Next episode he'll wash up by the Mud Gate, just you watch.

Arya doesn't "beat" Brienne in their sparring session.... Brienne doesn't take her seriously so Arya makes her look stupid, to get Brienne to start upping the effort level.... Brienne wasn't trying super hard until she front kicked Arya off her feet (and had more than enough time to finish her off), and from then on she pretty easily disarmed Arya and was likewise in a position to land a killing blow at the same time Arya was, indicating a draw in a best case (for Arya) scenario... Brienne could have also easily taken a step back outside Arya's dagger arm to clear the shorter range of the dagger then impaled Arya with her sword too. TL:DR Brienne was "winning" pretty easily once they where both trying, but did make a mistake that Arya was able to turn into a situation where they both would have died, had it been an actual fight.... 

The ranting and raving bits come in when she's parrying a 2handed sword with a fencing sword without that thing snapping in half or disrupting her balance from the force.

5 hours ago, Lord Godric said:

The show has also just so artificially strengthened Cersei's position that I know of a lot of people who think Cersei deserves to rule because she has outsmarted everyone else. All of the wins they've given Cersei this season have been ridiculously artificial and clearly meant to make Dany's conquest of Westeros harder, but it has made it look like Cersei is this amazing mastermind who knows exactly what she is doing and deserves to win because she is outsmarting everyone along the way. When in reality, she's winning because the show wants her to be in a stronger position to make Dany look weaker. 

Exactly. If they wanted the Cersei/Dany showdown to be more even - on both a military level and who was more sympathetic - then they shouldn't have ended s6 with Cersei blowing up her own people and Dany having almost half the armies of Westeros behind her. Instead they've spent the whole season trying to justify why Cersei would even have a shot, let alone be beating Dany.

All of Cersei's "victories" have had to twist logic to get there: The we-were-founded-as-the-city-of-runaway-slaves Braavosi Iron Bank suddenly pedals in the slave trade, the importance of the seat of a House (Casterly Rock) is forgotten, Euron can take out a whole fleet in one swoop and no one saw him coming, taking one of the greatest castles in the realm (Highgarden) is a walk in the park. (Sieges? What are sieges?) 

16 hours ago, Paid Debt Lannister said:

You see, this thing works when she is fighting her nephew Aegon Targaryen in the books because HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING CLOSE to that. But then you're comparing her to Cersei, you would think no one in Westeros would be mad at her, as Cersei is far more vicious than Daenerys could be (Olenna Tyrell schooled us time and again as how Cersei is a monster, it's amazing how people forget quickly). 

Yep. Even rulers who had a justified claim to the throne met resistance when they did horrific enough things. But Cersei, who has no claim to the throne whatsoever and had committed countless atrocities still has so much support among the lords and smallfolk? 

Aerys killing Rickon and Brandon, and calling for Ned Stark's head was enough to rally a rebellion and be remembered as the Mad King. But Cersei wiping out almost all of the Tyrell family and burning down half the city - on top of the entire having 3 incestuous children - isn't a big deal for the Westeros lords? (Hell, specifically Reach lords who served the Tyrells).

At this point most lords in the Reach, Stormlands (why would Cersei have their support) and what's left of the Riverlands would be siding with Dany or more realistically sitting the whole war out. Certainly not supporting a crazy woman with no claim.

9 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

I've been enjoying the spectacle of the battles this season (+ Pilou Asbæk just being ridiculous in all his scenes) but there is almost zero emotional impact to anything anymore. Previous seasons had Ned's execution, or Jaime airing his soul to Brienne, or Stannis and Davos arguing over Gendry, etc, but this season feels like everything is being done in order to power through the plot and reach the end. Moments that are presumably meant to be emotional (like the Starks reuniting or Cersei dooming Ellaria and Dagger Girl) are impactless, and it doesn't help that 90% of the good actors are dead.

5 hours ago, ramla said:

Yes! the show is on rails now. Its living now, only for the big moments, and the writing is tailored to get from point A to B as quickly as possible. The lack of Character Development is huge tho. They seem to decide on an outcome and then force it to happen, no matter where in westeros one is and when.

They really need to develop something between, Dany and Jon. Not just say oh she'd cute and her saying he's cute, lets date!.Of course the story will be well layered in the books, but its going to really make the show unbearable if the Dany /Jon relationship is hurried. And it seems it will be.

Yes. It feels like they're just moving from wham moment to wham moment - Euron captures Yara, taking Casterly Rock, the dragons - but have left both logical storytelling and emotional moments behind. The battles make no sense anymore, Cersei's plot is a mess, all the Stark reunions this season have fallen flat and Dany and Jon haven't had any personal connection.

Agree with everyone about the ridiculousness of the Arya/Brienne fight, especially given Arya was fighting with Needle. I love Arya, but the show has removed the nuances of her character. In the books - and early seasons - her skills weren't just brute fighting, it was a lot of trickery, intelligence, stealth, more unconventional fighting methods, her ability to befriend and influence people. With the FM she learned about lying, poisons, languages and acting etc. not just fighting. Her strength wasn't just in conventional armed combat and she wouldn't be able to take on a traditional knight like Brienne. But the show has just turned her into the muscle of the Stark family. I'd rather have complex, multi-talented Arya who'd get knocked on her back by Brienne in a minute than badass, one dimensional Arya.

Missandei and Dany "girl-talk" was pretty cringey, as was Dany asking Jon to bend the knee again. Dany in general is shite, and this episode was no different in that regard. Did she actually burn the food that she desperately needed? The last-minute save/escape was also overdone a bit this episode; it just doesn't feel very Game of Thrones-y when that happens.

I was totally fine with the Arya and Brienne fight, the Missandei and Daenerys girl talk. What I wasn't fine with was: 

1. RICKON. How is it possible that in the season of (rushed) Stark reunions and in "a time for wolves", it has to be Jaime fucking Lannister to utter the name Rickon. Holy shit. Holy mother of shit. How bad is this? On a scale from 1 to 10 how bad is it to not mention your recently deceased brother when you reunite with your sister in the goddamn crypts? 15? 20? This is so bad. So so so terrible unforgivable and unjustifiable and unrealistic. Last episode I rationalized the lack of Rickon talk because Bran is a seer and he knows anyway. BUT ARYA DOES NOT. And Sandra doesn't say anything. And Bran doesn't say anything. And Arya doesn't ask anything! THIS IS SO BAD. 

2. Tyrion. Tyrion is the worst person in this season. He is as bad as Sansa was last season. Sansa is still horrible, but Tyrion just got worse. Oh nooo this battle is terrible, the destruction is awful, oh no, who this is person I teamed up with, oh no, I can't even watch, oh no, why are we doing this...? I don't know, maybe consult your season 2 self who did the exact same thing at blackwater bay? Daenerys got three slaps in the face after listening to Tyrion's god awful plan, it is the most understandable thing in the world that she was going to hit back. And yes, oh no, these were Lannister man, but let's not forget that Tyrion sent Unsullied to sack the Rock so he probably doesn't give too much shit about the life of Lannister soldiers anyway. So I really don't get why he would frown upon daernerys for doing what she did. He is a hypocrite shit. 

3. The cave. Like yeah, sure, and then there were the cave paintings and we all found out that Manny's family was killed by men and he needs a family and now we'll be his family and stick together and fight out common enemy. And yeah, this worked in a cartoon. That those cave paintings just happened to be there and resulted in instant deeper understanding of our companions. And the foreshadowing of the romance, god, it's so cringy and forced and ugh. I just can't ANY pairing would be better than Jon and Daenerys. And Emilia and Kit have ZERO chemistry. 

8 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

1. RICKON. How is it possible that in the season of (rushed) Stark reunions and in "a time for wolves", it has to be Jaime fucking Lannister to utter the name Rickon. Holy shit. Holy mother of shit. How bad is this? On a scale from 1 to 10 how bad is it to not mention your recently deceased brother when you reunite with your sister in the goddamn crypts? 15? 20? This is so bad. So so so terrible unforgivable and unjustifiable and unrealistic. Last episode I rationalized the lack of Rickon talk because Bran is a seer and he knows anyway. BUT ARYA DOES NOT. And Sandra doesn't say anything. And Bran doesn't say anything. And Arya doesn't ask anything! THIS IS SO BAD. 

Which is just another sign how show is actually heavily dependent on the books (if the overstretching of Braavos theater wasn´t enough). Rickon exists in the books only a very little... so the showrunners kill him without second thought and have absolutely no idea what to say about him after he died.   

52 minutes ago, Rhodan said:

Which is just another sign how show is actually heavily dependent on the books (if the overstretching of Braavos theater wasn´t enough). Rickon exists in the books only a very little... so the showrunners kill him without second thought and have absolutely no idea what to say about him after he died.   

Just "Oh and Rickon is dead" / "oh boo, that's awful" would be perfectly enough. 

But no. Jaime has to say the name Rickon. To spit in the character's and the audience's face or out of unimaginable stupidity, I can't tell. 

29 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

Just "Oh and Rickon is dead" / "oh boo, that's awful" would be perfectly enough. 

But no. Jaime has to say the name Rickon. To spit in the character's and the audience's face or out of unimaginable stupidity, I can't tell. 

Didn´t Jaime say "Rickard", though? Or was it something else? Yes, I know they could say that, I just meant they have obviously problems even acknowledging he ever existed.

10 minutes ago, Rhodan said:

Didn´t Jaime say "Rickard", though? Or was it something else? Yes, I know they could say that, I just meant they have obviously problems even acknowledging he ever existed.

The first time he met Dickon in KL he said Rickard. This time he said Rickon. 

Well then it was a waste of effort to bring him back so he can die last season. He could have remained lost. 

19 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Another time, I would have been excited to hear about the Golden Company. Now I cringe, especially considering the treatment the Iron Bank got with the slave trade.

And based on what Tycho said to Cersei, it sounds like the GC are repo-men for the IB. They helped us get our gold back. OK...

It makes sense about GC, maybe D&D literally thought that Golden Company are debt collectors, you know, they collect gold, that is why they are called Golden.

I'll mention some things already mentioned by other people.

Arya

She's not only a badass sword dancer, she also has massive strenght to counter the inertia of a 2H sword from a giant woman. Erm

DaenAerys

Oh, speaking of super sensitive information in front of your guest/possible ally you want to convince?

Burn the supplies, because who needs food for those thousands of dotrakhi + their horses in DragonWastelandStone. What do they eat actually?

BTW you could start using your dragons as scouts, there's literally 0 dangers preventing you.

Pride = rationalising what your subjects will do, ok. Thank god Daenerys the Humble can give these great one liners to Greedy Jon.

Political marriage, where? It will happen but should be seriously being considered by both sides since the first meeting.

I'm in the middle of a battle, let me casually treat the wounds of my dragon while being back to the arrows and other stuff.

And armour is overrated, arrows can't pierce this dress.

2 meters to the side and the dragon would have sunk in the Marianas trench.

Random Dothrakis

Your people don't know how to fight, but my zergrushing light cavalry that charges at spears and shields instead of using the advantages of light cavalry it's super competent (Qohor 13.0 redux).

Budget mongols, at least Mongols were intelligent, had mixed units (hi Dany), learned from their enemies, were able to siege and conquer cities... oh well, 2 more battles and the dothraki are gone with casualties.

BTW, no one questioned what will happen in Westeros when Daenerys dies, in throne or not? The Dothraki will just create khalasars and start pillaging everything. Oh well, I guess Daenerys doesn't care.

I'm on a horse, let me dismount because I really want to die and my kliling quota is already past the limit, it's better I kill this one guy instead.

Gold (aka how teleporters can only teleport so much)

Bling, Cersei doesn't need her armies, now she will get the Golden Company.

If only the Iron Bank got the debt paid and then "invested" in the one with nuclear weapons...

No, instead we will get white unsullied riding ballistas or something.

Beyond the Lands of Teleportation

The WW are so polite, they are giving time for their enemies to finish their quarreling while they are taking weeks to walk to the Wall. The End of the World may wait.

Archived