[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

So I was just thinking about castles at work and it dawned on me, is there anyone in the major southern castles? 

Casterly Rock- Empty

Highgarden- Empty

Sunspear- Empty

The Eyrie- SweetRobin is somewhere around, but their army is in the North

Storm's End- I guess is empty, this has been well ignored since what the death on Renly?

Riverrun- Confusing as hell, but I will say empty since well Cersei killed all the Sandsnakes and defeated Dorne, Arya killing all the Frey men defeated them. 

This can't be right can it?

Oh longtime lurker, first time poster. 

Just now, That Westeros Dude said:

So I was just thinking about castles at work and it dawned on me, is there anyone in the major southern castles? 

Casterly Rock- Empty

Highgarden- Empty

Sunspear- Empty

Storm's End- I guess is empty, this has been well ignored since what the death on Renly?

Riverrun- Confusing as hell, but I will say empty since well Cersei killed all the Sandsnakes and defeated Dorne, Arya killing all the Frey men defeated them. 

Welcome!

Yup, if Dragonstone was apparently empty since Stannis left, then it would not surprise me if that was the case. But I would say that there is a garrison in each of those castles, but have no one to give them orders, so they're all in a party mood (except the blokes at Highgarden, they may be out of food and drink)

Also Sunspear doesn't exist, it's all Dorne. And I don't think Storm's End exists, either. Davos rowed Mel to a cave in a cliff where there was a grated gate, and the shadow baby went through that place... to sneak in Renly's tent which was in the open.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Dany was in white or blue until this season.  Sansa was in color.  Cersei was in color.  Cat was in color.  Now literally every character is wearing black.  Plus, sorry, those costumes are horribly unflattering, Dany, Cersei, Missy.......they are ugly in any color.

Yep, lots of colors in the earlier seasons. Blues and pinks and reds and greens (also white). And indeed, dyes were typical in the middle ages, even among the smallfolk (lots of natural dying agents, and the wealthy favored rich colors).

Many have been critical of the dark unflattering space age costumes this season. And the infernal chains, anyone with a bit of money would wear something precious and beautiful. Book Cersei wore big emeralds to match her eyes.

(Colors!)

1 hour ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

BINGO!!  For reasons in book and even show, Cersei is well past her 'use by' date, especially as a full fledged and followed leader.  LF, it's hard to say, I'm think the Ds wrote LF into a corner of their own devising, but, both need to go.  Twisting logic in knots, as well as just marking time as well, is making the entire story suffer.  Just like bad food, the smell is contaminating all around it, LOL

yes indeed.

54 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Nobody uses scouts in GOT.

You don't just move several thousands of soldiers several miles, without somebody not noticing. Well, maybe unless you're in the North and it's the Vale Army or something. Or you're Euron and you're packin' a Romulan cloaking device.

I guess the Lannisters employed the JEB Stuart Gettysburg style of scouting i.e. not really scouting at all.

On everyone in black, it's driving me batty too.  Joining the Night's Watch is called taking the black.  They wear black, and it's unusual for anyone (outside of mourning) to wear it.  I assumed Cersei was doing it to keep up the pretense she actually cared about Tommen.  I guess the whole cast is mourning the death of good writing.

And another annoying thing with Dany's land invasion and how it went unnoticed. In order to sail off Dragonstone and attack the Lannister forces somewhat near King's Landing, Dany likely would have landed somewhere straight west of DragonStone and then marched southwest. That entire area is part of the Crownlands and loyal to the throne. They would have passed by literally thousands of people and likely other keeps and castles who would have reported Dany's army to King's Landing who in turn would have reported it to Jaime in the field.

I also find it funny that characters, male characters in particular, are constantly in armor. Jon spent the whole trip from Winterfell to Dragonstone in that armor, and continues to wear it as he's exploring caves. Bronze Yohn has taken his breastplate off since Sansa first met him in season 4. He's like Immorten Joe in Fury Road.

Dany wears the same dress, whether she is debating in the council chamber, receives visitors in the throne room, or rides to battle on a dragon.

I guess with so many extras, the costume department maybe doesn't have the time and/or budget to give the main characters an extra pair of clothes.

47 minutes ago, That Westeros Dude said:

Casterly Rock- Empty

Highgarden- Empty

Sunspear- Empty

I think Harrenhal is neglected too.

14 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I also find it funny that characters, male characters in particular, are constantly in armor. Jon spent the whole trip from Winterfell to Dragonstone in that armor, and continues to wear it as he's exploring caves. Bronze Yohn has taken his breastplate off since Sansa first met him in season 4. He's like Immorten Joe in Fury Road.

Dany wears the same dress, whether she is debating in the council chamber, receives visitors in the throne room, or rides to battle on a dragon.

I guess with so many extras, the costume department maybe doesn't have the time and/or budget to give the main characters an extra pair of clothes.

Hahaha. You mean your outfit for when you go mining for months at a time isn't full body armor? Seems so practical.

But to be fair to the actors, I think they are in those same damn outfits all the time because they are basically like straight jackets. I don't think Cersei could take that Cenobite outfit off if she wanted to.

Anyone else think that Bronn jumping in front of a fire breathing dragon to save Jaime is the most out of character thing ever shown in this series?

Bronn is well established as a self interested, amoral sellsword who does nothing out of charity.  Earlier in the episode it starts becoming apparent that he will probably never receive the awards he's been promised and he isn't shown to have a strong relationship with Jaime.  Even his good friend Tyrion didn't get that kind of treatment from Bronn when he was looking for a champion to face The Mountain, and those two were much closer.  In a show where character motivation changes by the second driven solely by what the plot demands, this was in my opinion the most egregious case. Dickon would've made more sense.

Just now, Bear42 said:

Anyone else think that Bronn jumping in front of a fire breathing dragon to save Jaime is the most out of character thing ever shown in this series?

Especially after watching all of that gold get away from him? Yes, absolutely. Another part of that final scene that makes it the worst part of the entire episode. 

7 minutes ago, 7th-key said:

I think Harrenhal is neglected too.

And Littlefinger owns it. Maybe he should check in on it instead of creeping and doing nothing at Winterhell waiting to be killed. For the first 6 seasons that fucker jet packed all over Westeros. Now, he's like that annoying out-of-work friend who won't leave.

the books were all about the journey, NOT the destination.

the show is ONLY about the destination, without giving a second thought to the journey (metaphorical or otherwise).

a series of visually extravagant scenes without any true meaning... strung together with pointless dialogue delivered by characters whose motivations and emotions change to fit the moment.  but i have to admit, that is one fine looking dragon.

6 minutes ago, Bear42 said:

Bronn is well established as a self interested, amoral sellsword who does nothing out of charity.  Earlier in the episode it starts becoming apparent that he will probably never receive the awards he's been promised and he isn't shown to have a strong relationship with Jaime.  Even his good friend Tyrion didn't get that kind of treatment from Bronn when he was looking for a champion to face The Mountain, and those two were much closer.  In a show where character motivation changes by the second driven solely by what the plot demands, this was in my opinion the most egregious case. Dickon would've made more sense.

i agree completely.  characters motivations change to fit the plot, rather than driving it forward.  it's a stretch to even call this series of events a plot.  its just bad storytelling.

i have to admit though, i think Bronn is fond of Jaime.  in an episode i'm sure many of us wished they could forget, Jaime was travelling to Dorne with Bronn, and over their snake breakfast (LOL) they discuss how they would like to die.  Jaime says, "in the arms of the woman i love."  Bronn replies with the question, "are you sure that's what she wants, also?"  I want to believe (maybe in a better television show or another universe) that Bronn feels bad for Jaime, because he sees what everyone except Jaime can see: Cersei is a self-serving narcissist who will only ever care about herself.

17 minutes ago, Bear42 said:

haha, I thought this subject merited a topic all on its own, so I've got a thread going currently pending mod approval. But yeah, not sure at which point in the series did Jaime manage to obtain Bronn's undying loyalty.

29 minutes ago, Bear42 said:

Yes, Tyrion did. Bronn had no idea Tyrion would be able to talk them out of certain death with the Mountain Clans and walked the High Road with a companion that was, lets be honest, utterly useless in a fight, having seen how dangerous it was on the trip here. In Season 1 was it was also established he'd be north of the Wall for business. I highly doubt that was a venture certain to pay off. Bronn is absolutely a guy that takes massive, stupid risks, so long as he'd be better off in success. Just not fighting the Mountain, cause even if he won ouright, as unlikely as that already is, Tyrion wouldn't actually be in a position to pay him off. Just make it even more likely Cersei would have Bronn killed.

I think one of the things that irks me the most about the decline in quality of this show is reading and/or hearing people who haven't read the books gush about ridiculous stuff like Arya beating Brienne. That defies all logic and people hand wave it because it looks cool. Yeah, well it would look "cool" if Arya could beat LeBron James 1-on-1 too, but it's also not possible. Or is that going to happen next episode when basketball comes to Westeros?

1 minute ago, Snormund said:

I think one of the things that irks me the most about the decline in quality of this show is reading and/or hearing people who haven't read the books gush about ridiculous stuff like Arya beating Brienne. That defies all logic and people hand wave it because it looks cool. Yeah, well it would be "cool" if Arya could beat LeBron James 1-on-1 too, but it's also not possible. Or is that going to happen next episode when basketball comes to Westeros?

Hell, if Ed Sheeran can sing in Westeros, there is a definite place for King James of the Hoops Range.

Archived