Daenerys, Drogon, and the Dothraki are AWESOME!

Wolf's Bane

1 minute ago, Ranger Kragin said:

Since he's Khal Drogo reborn, he MUST BE badass, of course. Khal Drogo was too, and still would be, if Dany hadn't killed him.

What do you mean he would still be if she hadn't kill him. If Daenerys didn't killed her husband she wouldn't have dragon. How would Drogo would be badass after what happened with Mirri? He couldn't walk, stand, ride, talk... What life is worth when everything else is lost...

On 8/7/2017 at 6:05 AM, SeanF said:

That comment was rather unfair.

The Lannister soldiers fought well.  Without Drogon, they might well have held their own against the Dothraki.

Let's see how well the Dothraki would fare against dragonfire.

Uh, yeah, despite seeing many of their comrades being burnt to smithereens, it would seem many of the Lannister infantry stayed in formation and didn’t break.

That’s what you’d call discipline. And discipline usually wins in battle. And holding in formation knowing you might get burned to a crisp at any moment does take a bit of courage.

And the idea of horse archers being an automatic win just isn’t true. Fact is that the combination of heavy infantry forces, along with sufficient missile troops often did defeat horse archers.

The comment by that Dothraki seems to me to be generally crap.

5 hours ago, cade said:

Bronn knew they were done for even before he heard or saw the dragon. 

Without the dragon they could have put up a fight. They may have lost anyway but at least they could have fought  well  

Dany has done a very wrong move in this battle;

she didn't see the warchiefs (jaime has a pretty recognable white horse and a have a leading position on the battle field) and didn't toasted them ... could have ended half the war in a single breath of Drogon !

1 minute ago, usul said:

Dany has done a very wrong move in this battle;

she didn't see the warchiefs (jaime has a pretty recognable white horse and a have a leading position on the battle field) and didn't toasted them ... could have ended half the war in a single breath of Drogon !

She might have spared him because she knows Tyrion is fond of him. If you have read the books, then you will know such a decision is very much in Dany's character.

5 hours ago, snow is the man said:

Well given that dany is a targ incest doesn't even register as a problem. That said I agree that while jaime may not have blown the sept he is still standing firmly behind her and now gets to see the consequences of going against a dragon with your secret weapon being a giant crossbow. Also I think tyrion needs to suck it up. He has seen people burned alive and was the one to order it. Dany has just destroyed a large part of the lannisters army and the tarly's as well and once word spreads of it everyone will bend the knee for fear of the dragons. Tyrions plan may have seemed more humane but he is prolonging the war and getting more people killed then neccesary. I think tyrion would make a good hand during peace time though.

The Imp is disposable. Like I said in the rant thread, the show has become too invested in certain characters rather than let the story play out a little and cutting and moving others altogether.

5 hours ago, Styl7 said:

I really liked the fact that Daenerys brought only Drogon. That means she cant fully control them in a battle.. That means they need riders!:D

All 3 dragons fought together against the slave master ships in the season finale last season.

31 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Uh, yeah, despite seeing many of their comrades being burnt to smithereens, it would seem many of the Lannister infantry stayed in formation and didn’t break.

That’s what you’d call discipline. And discipline usually wins in battle. And holding in formation knowing you might get burned to a crisp at any moment does take a bit of courage.

And the idea of horse archers being an automatic win just isn’t true. Fact is that the combination of heavy infantry forces, along with sufficient missile troops often did defeat horse archers.

The Dothraki are light cavalry.  Without the aid of Drogon, it's hard to see how they could have broken infantry in formation, armed with long spears and bows, although they could have looted and destroyed the wagon train.

40 minutes ago, Styl7 said:

What do you mean he would still be if she hadn't kill him. If Daenerys didn't killed her husband she wouldn't have dragon. 

The fact remains that she did kill him. Regardless of his state. We do not know what how he'd have evolved. Where Magic is involved anything is possible, even for Khal Drogo to recover and continue to be a badass. This is what I meant.

I wonder if Bran did see this too and use the information. And if Jon would still think she's a great heart knowing that she killed her husband out of love.

On 8/7/2017 at 9:16 AM, SeanF said:

The Dothraki are light cavalry.  Without the aid of Drogon, it's hard to see how they could have broken infantry in formation, armed with long spears and bows, although they could have looted and destroyed the wagon train.

Yeah it would seem that the Lannister infantry has been portrayed as being fairly good infantry. And after seeing that many didn't break ranks, after seeing a dragon flyin' around roasting many of their comrades, you might say they were very good infantry. So, I am not seeing how they get just get mowed down by light calvary unless they were massively outnumbered.

14 minutes ago, Ranger Kragin said:

The fact remains that she did kill him. Regardless of his state. We do not know what how he'd have evolved. Where Magic is involved anything is possible, even for Khal Drogo to recover and continue to be a badass. This is what I meant.

I wonder if Bran did see this too and use the information. And if Jon would still think she's a great heart knowing that she killed her husband out of love.

i think mirri had made .it clear that he wouldnt recover from his state...she gave him his life back but never mentioned dany that he wouldnt be like his old self ever again and she knew it before she started her magic cos of revenge reasons

i dont think jon would care for her killing her husband out of life cos he really was better dead, and dany didnt do it happily either

54 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I agree. I so wanted tyrion to point out that they were fighting a dragon. Otherwise I think they would have held against the dothraki though it would have cost them dearly and essentially shatter the lannister army. And the lannister army deserves some props for staying in formation when the dragon came through. I admit I would have been gone when I saw the dragon (probably when I saw the dothraki too but you get my point.  One of the things I pointed out was drogon essentially won the battle the first time he blew flame out of his mouth because he opened up the shield wall allowing the dothraki to get behind the shield wall and attack from behind.

12 hours ago, Steelshanks Walton said:

I love that Dothraki telling Tyrion "your people can't fight".  That will put to rest any question of which people are better in battle.  The Dothraki will beat the Westerosi in open combat.  Bronn deserves to die for what he did, that bastard.  I hope he's dead.

Agree

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

The Dothraki would have won anyway.  Jorah said that he doubted whether the Westerosi can withstand Dothraki arrows.  The Dothraki bow have greater range.  Raining arrows would collapse the line.  The Lannisters got owned.  Total victory for Team Dany.  I love it.

52 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

I agree. I so wanted tyrion to point out that they were fighting a dragon. Otherwise I think they would have held against the dothraki though it would have cost them dearly and essentially shatter the lannister army. And the lannister army deserves some props for staying in formation when the dragon came through. I admit I would have been gone when I saw the dragon (probably when I saw the dothraki too but you get my point.  One of the things I pointed out was drogon essentially won the battle the first time he blew flame out of his mouth because he opened up the shield wall allowing the dothraki to get behind the shield wall and attack from behind.

Without the dragon, by far the safest course of action for the Lannister soldiers would be to do as they did.  Form a square and keep their shields and spears levelled.  But it would take good discipline to face thousands of horsemen and still stand your ground (discipline which they seem to possess).  And, they'd have to be prepared to sacrifice much of the wagon train.

2 minutes ago, Heavy D said:

The Dothraki would have won anyway.  Jorah said that he doubted whether the Westerosi can withstand Dothraki arrows.  The Dothraki bow have greater range.  Raining arrows would collapse the line.  The Lannisters got owned.  Total victory for Team Dany.  I love it.

We saw Dothraki riders being shot down by Lannister archers and impaled on their spears, so they might very well have held out.  So long as the Lannisters maintained their shieldwall, few of the arrows would have struck home, and eventually, the Dothraki would have run out.

And, with a river at their backs, there's no risk of them suffering from thirst, like the Christian army at Hattin. 

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

We saw Dothraki riders being shot down by Lannister archers and impaled on their spears, so they might very well have held out.  So long as the Lannisters maintained their shieldwall, few of the arrows would have struck home, and eventually, the Dothraki would have run out.

And, with a river at their backs, there's no risk of them suffering from thirst, like the Christian army at Hattin. 

With the river at their back the Lannisters are pinned down and can't retreat.  The Dothraki won't have to charge.  They can rain arrows with their greater range and kill many men that way.  Charge occasionally and the Lannister men will wear down.  The Dothraki are better riders and will win in an open field.  The only chance the Lannisters have is take the fight to the forests.

Archived