The Bran Thread

Pandean

So, Bran seems to have had a major personality change since he became the 3E-Raven. While I guess that was expected due to the information download and such....dude's a major creep who doesn't know how to human now.

I honestly wonder what his endgame fate will be because I can't imagine for the life of me if Sansa/Arya/Jon survive and have kids or something he goes to living in their tower and the kids are told "Oh don't worry that's just your kinda fucked up uncle Bran"

24 minutes ago, Pandean said:

I honestly wonder what his endgame fate will be because I can't imagine for the life of me if Sansa/Arya/Jon survive and have kids or something he goes to living in their tower and the kids are told "Oh don't worry that's just your kinda fucked up uncle Bran"

Children... see uncle Bran? This is why we don't do drugs...

I do like that he now has a chair and sits upright. Thought he might stab LF with the dagger, but alas, I guess we have to wait for Arya to do that!

I have a hard time seeing Bran surviving to be honest.  Right now I'm a little worried that he was a bit preemptive in giving away that dagger.  After all a certain Night King has it out for him and he's lost his staunch guardians, it might have been a good plan for him to be able to defend himself.

I'm glad they finally explained the change though. Because it was quite a shocking change to see him last week and the first thing he brings up to Sansa was the night she was raped. Meera's line about him having died in the cave makes a lot of sense because he must have absorbed so many memories and seen so much. I sadly think that this will mean Bran's body will end up dying too and anything that is left of Bran will pass before the series ends. 

3 minutes ago, direwoofwoof said:

Children... see uncle Bran? This is why we don't do drugs...

I do like that he now has a chair and sits upright. Thought he might stab LF with the dagger, but alas, I guess we have to wait for Arya to do that!

I wonder if he knows about the dagger considering he knows everything now.

And there's never a bad time to work on posture.

1 minute ago, Lord Godric said:

I'm glad they finally explained the change though. Because it was quite a shocking change to see him last week and the first thing he brings up to Sansa was the night she was raped. Meera's line about him having died in the cave makes a lot of sense because he must have absorbed so many memories and seen so much. I sadly think that this will mean Bran's body will end up dying too and anything that is left of Bran will pass before the series ends. 

Yeah I can't picture him surviving. If he did he'd probably be like BR. Basically a tree. But that scene with Meera was heartbreaking. I wonder if Jojen knew this too....

4 minutes ago, Bran the Shipper said:

I have a hard time seeing Bran surviving to be honest.  Right now I'm a little worried that he was a bit preemptive in giving away that dagger.  After all a certain Night King has it out for him and he's lost his staunch guardians, it might have been a good plan for him to be able to defend himself.

I wonder if he can warg into WWs.....

Just now, Bran the Shipper said:

I don't think it was preemptive at all. I think he gave the dagger to the person who will need it the most. 

At this point it's safe to assume that Bran knows everything we do (as viewers) and a whole lot more.  So Bran knows that it wasn't Tyrion who won it off LF, but King Robert.  And he knows that LF lied to Cat about it which helped get the chaos ball rolling.  

Bran saying "Chaos is a ladder" to LF is his "I know all your secrets and every time you've betrayed us".

I suspect that Arya is going to be the one to give LF his knife back. 

12 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

I don't think it was preemptive at all. I think he gave the dagger to the person who will need it the most. 

At this point it's safe to assume that Bran knows everything we do (as viewers) and a whole lot more.  So Bran knows that it wasn't Tyrion who won it off LF, but King Robert.  And he knows that LF lied to Cat about it which helped get the chaos ball rolling.  

Bran saying "Chaos is a ladder" to LF is his "I know all your secrets and every time you've betrayed us".

I suspect that Arya is going to be the one to give LF his knife back. 

I agree with you.  Bran gave it to Arya to kill Littlefinger with it. He knows she is the best one to take him out.

1 hour ago, Snormund said:

Dr. Branhattan!

This is what I came here to write. Very much getting Dr. Manhattan vibes from the guy. I'm curious if losing Summer, and the connection had with warging into him now being lost, somehow cut his tether to the present even more. Meera does say "You died in thay cave." As did Summer.

1 hour ago, Lord Godric said:

..... it was quite a shocking change to see him last week and the first thing he brings up to Sansa was the night she was raped.

Was he?  Or was he talking about a future event (marriage)?  Of course, he would refer to a future vision in past tense when recalling it.

5 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

And can Bran just warg into a dragon, drop a dragon glass bomb on the Night King and end this war already?

Unless, exactly like Dr Manhattan, he doesn't really give a fuck, or knows too much to give a fuck.

Think about it, what if he understands the White Walkers have a valid purpose in Westeros and humans are fighting for their existence, which is also valid from their perspective - how does he chose? Or consider that he knows there can be no future for anyone without x amount of people he knows dying, how would he respond? What do you fight for if you know that all fighting is ultimately futile, or live for if you know life is the same?

I mentioned in another thread that I saw an interesting Youtube theory that the history of ASoIaF has been set by Bran to shape the present. The theory wasn't fully fleshed out but the idea is interesting.

Personally, I like the idea that Bran's powers came at the cost of his humanity, and that it's just not possible for someone to deal with seeing past/present/future anywhere without being completely alien. But, according to D&D and IHW in last week's EW interview, that's not the way they're going.

The in-universe reason Bran is creepy and computer-like is that he didn't get to finish his training, and hasn't had time to learn how to process seeing everything everywhere while still remaining human… just yet. That "just yet" implies that, if he survives, he could well learn to deal with all of this and return to being lovable old Bran, only with ridiculous superpowers that he acquired at no cost.

But the out-of-universe reason is that lovable old Bran with ridiculous superpowers that he's fully in control of would make everything too easy for Team Stark. So, presumably, it won't happen until the very end of the show.

Until then, he's got access to basically any information, but only if he knows where and when to look. And he's hard to deal with. And it sounds like, because he's currently so broken that he's not guided by normal human emotions and empathy, he might not even know to look for things that you'd expect a normal person to go look for, and might not even understand what he sees the same way a normal person would.

So, here's what I suspect: He won't automatically, say, see all the things LF did, or discover Cersei's plan to betray everyone after agreeing to a temporary truce to deal with the Night King, or be able to tell how well Jon's battle orders will play out. But he will randomly pull out some useful piece of information here and there that wasn't otherwise available, like the Tower of Joy wedding (which, even if he doesn't get that it reveals Jon's true ancestry, could be enough of a clue for someone else to figure it out), or how/when the White Walkers are going to hit Eastwatch, etc.

Plus, he's already got a lot of information on the history and workings of the White Walkers. Jon may have found some of the same information in the cave paintings, or Sam in old books, but Bran has details nobody else is going to find, and I'm sure they'll be important.

16 minutes ago, ummester said:

Or consider that he knows there can be no future for anyone without x amount of people he knows dying, how would he respond?

I like the idea (and I can't remember who I stole it from) that multiple characters are ultimately living different permutations of the Bloodraven story.

Bloodraven had to murder Aenys Blackfyre for the good of the realm, even though it was immoral and dishonorable. He was punished by being sent to the Wall, but he quickly rose to become Commander, and was ultimately more respected there than he had been as Hand (where he'd only been feared), but then he left that as well and ultimately became the 3ER.

Jaime had to murder Aerys the Mad King for the good of the realm, even though it was immoral and dishonorable. He hasn't been punished, but his story could well end with him having to do something new that can't be forgiven—the most obvious is becoming a kinslayer and queenslayer, and insisting that he needs to be punished for it by taking the black and rebuilding the Watch as Commander, where he'll finally be respected.

Jon went to the Wall and rose to be Lord Commander and ultimately more respected than as Ned's bastard, and he's already gone beyond the Wall, although not to become the 3ER. He hasn't yet made the sacrifice of doing something immoral and dishonorable but necessary. It'll come later, maybe at least a symbolic Nissa Nissa.

Bran went beyond the Wall to become the 3ER without going to the Wall. He, like Jon, still needs his immoral and dishonorable but necessary deed, and it'll be the real doozy.

I think there was a fourth character as well, but I can't remember who or how it worked.

I have never really liked the Starks but I never minded Bran. When he said he wasn't Brandon Stark anymore (at least not fully) it made me sad. It really was like Bran died a long time ago. 

You'd think the first things he'd look into as an all knowing being is what happened to him at the tower that made him disabled in the first place. If I had his powers that is the first thing I'd want to clear up.

I think I'm  the only person on the planet not bothered by Bran the Unfeeling. Dudes got a lot going on in his head. Who he was has been drowned by all those who came before him and all those that are in the now. It's easy for me to see him lose himself and become detached. It would be either be detached or be overwhelmed with everything  he is now. I'm  sure if he hadn't  messed up and was able to stay longer in the cave he could have learned to control all of it better.

Archived