The Bran Thread

Pandean

23 hours ago, falcotron said:

I like the idea (and I can't remember who I stole it from) that multiple characters are ultimately living different permutations of the Bloodraven story.

Bloodraven had to murder Aenys Blackfyre for the good of the realm, even though it was immoral and dishonorable. He was punished by being sent to the Wall, but he quickly rose to become Commander, and was ultimately more respected there than he had been as Hand (where he'd only been feared), but then he left that as well and ultimately became the 3ER.

Jaime had to murder Aerys the Mad King for the good of the realm, even though it was immoral and dishonorable. He hasn't been punished, but his story could well end with him having to do something new that can't be forgiven—the most obvious is becoming a kinslayer and queenslayer, and insisting that he needs to be punished for it by taking the black and rebuilding the Watch as Commander, where he'll finally be respected.

Jon went to the Wall and rose to be Lord Commander and ultimately more respected than as Ned's bastard, and he's already gone beyond the Wall, although not to become the 3ER. He hasn't yet made the sacrifice of doing something immoral and dishonorable but necessary. It'll come later, maybe at least a symbolic Nissa Nissa.

Bran went beyond the Wall to become the 3ER without going to the Wall. He, like Jon, still needs his immoral and dishonorable but necessary deed, and it'll be the real doozy.

I think there was a fourth character as well, but I can't remember who or how it worked.

There is a lot of history repeating in GoTs and things in the present being related to the past - perhaps Bloodraven is just a continuation of that tradition? Perhaps the point of the 3ER is to ensure certain elements of history repeat but it's not an exact science.

16 hours ago, The Bastard of Summer said:

Also I dunno why I get the  feeling that when Bran  asked Littlefinger  if he knew  who the dagger belonged to he wasn't  referring  to the owner of blade who gave it to the catspaw. I felt like he was asking if Littlefinger knew the history of its original owner.....

Ooh, I never thought of it like that. I like that theory.

So sweet little Bran is gone, but Bran is not a creep nor is he an asshole. Little Finger is a creep, always has been, always will be, nobody is complaining. Jamie is an asshole, always has been, it's a core part of his character, still no one complains.

Sweet little Bran grew up and instead of becoming an ordinary adult, he becomes a semi omniscient demi god. So Brans sweet personality has to go away, a person seemingly without emotion is left in his  place. Bran sees things that he feels emotions about, so many things that he has to learn to control his emotions and to do that, he really has to disconnect from feeling anything. That makes him a little hard to talk to.

He has to tell people things so they know that he knows a lot of stuff, but he skirts around the awful details in hopes of not triggering a trauma.  Sansa would not have believed him otherwise. Sansa has had the least exposure to magic in the whole show. She takes Jon's word for it that he was killed and brought back to life,but maybe she is skeptical. She didn't see that or any of the stuff the red priests have done.

Bran loves Meera, Meera loves Bran, in spite of the age difference. In a more peaceful time, Bran and Meera might have had an arranged marriage given the benefit of keeping their houses aligned. Instead, they get to bond while running from ice walkers north of the wall.

Bran knows how Meera feels and Bran knows the white walkers are in a hurry to get to Winterfell. He wants Meera to be safe and so he gives her the cold shoulder to hurt her feelings and get her on the road to her home as quickly as possible, so that she has a chance of living longer.  Just the sort of thing a young, omniscient man does to help out a friend.

5 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Ooh, I never thought of it like that. I like that theory.

The more I thought  about it the more it felt right.  Bran is not concerned  with Littlefinger and his schemes. He let Littlefinger know he knew what he was. Brans vast knowledge has a much greater purpose  than simply getting revenge on Littlefinger.  Bran himself  didnt need to know who owned the dagger recently because he saw Littlefinger and his catspaw in his visions. Why ask what you already know as 100% truth? There is no need to test his honesty. But if Bran saw the dagger in the far past and knows it's  history and knew the importance behind it and how valuable  it is...he would want to know if Littlefinger might possibly know a little  bit of that same history. Which Littlefinger obviously didnt because if he had, he would have never given up such a valuable object. Littlefinger knew it was valyrian steel, that was not important to him though. First if the catspaw was caught with it, his payer need be identified  as wealthy. Second he needed to pay the catspaw. The dagger being fine payment  indeed being that it's valyrian steel. But if that dagger did belong say to Azor Ahai Littlefinger would have never parted with it. He wouldn't  let that slip through his fingers.

22 hours ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

...Bran knows how Meera feels and Bran knows the white walkers are in a hurry to get to Winterfell. He wants Meera to be safe and so he gives her the cold shoulder to hurt her feelings and get her on the road to her home as quickly as possible, so that she has a chance of living longer.  Just the sort of thing a young, omniscient man does to help out a friend.

That sounds like some nice fan-fic an all, but I really think it's more Bran is crippled as much emotionally now as he is physically. I think that's why we saw such stoic responses to the reunions with both of his sisters and his parting with Meera. :(

20 hours ago, The Bastard of Summer said:

The more I thought  about it the more it felt right.  Bran is not concerned  with Littlefinger and his schemes. He let Littlefinger know he knew what he was. Brans vast knowledge has a much greater purpose  than simply getting revenge on Littlefinger.  Bran himself  didnt need to know who owned the dagger recently because he saw Littlefinger and his catspaw in his visions. Why ask what you already know as 100% truth? There is no need to test his honesty. But if Bran saw the dagger in the far past and knows it's  history and knew the importance behind it and how valuable  it is...he would want to know if Littlefinger might possibly know a little  bit of that same history. Which Littlefinger obviously didnt because if he had, he would have never given up such a valuable object. Littlefinger knew it was valyrian steel, that was not important to him though. First if the catspaw was caught with it, his payer need be identified  as wealthy. Second he needed to pay the catspaw. The dagger being fine payment  indeed being that it's valyrian steel. But if that dagger did belong say to Azor Ahai Littlefinger would have never parted with it. He wouldn't  let that slip through his fingers.

LF did not send the catspaw. It makes no sense. Had to be somebody in King Robert's party leaving Winterfell.

My guess is that it was Cersei who stole it from Robert who took it off Rhaegar's corpse when he killed him. LF never owned the dagger. He just said he did to frame Tyrion.

2 hours ago, Pile-O-Starks said:

LF did not send the catspaw. It makes no sense. Had to be somebody in King Robert's party leaving Winterfell.

My guess is that it was Cersei who stole it from Robert who took it off Rhaegar's corpse when he killed him. LF never owned the dagger. He just said he did to frame Tyrion.

Yep i noticed my mistake and corrected myself in another post

Archived