Jaime appreciation thread

Jaime was kinda cool in this ep, maybe just seeing him in command..... but I did not like he was slaying bloodriders with one hand he still has not mastered yet. 

Him attacking Drogon was very brave, but as Tyrion said - "fucking idiot" lol. 

Was it Bronn or Dickon that saved him into the water?  It happened too fast,

4 minutes ago, Iron Mother said:

Jaime was kinda cool in this ep, maybe just seeing him in command..... but I did not like he was slaying bloodriders with one hand he still has not mastered yet. 

Him attacking Drogon was very brave, but as Tyrion said - "fucking idiot" lol. 

Was it Bronn or Dickon that saved him into the water?  It happened too fast,

It definitely wasnt Dickon as im pretty sure we see him and also his father Randyll burning to death.I know we definitely see Randyll. Am pretty sure it was Tyrion who saved him.

Spoiler

It was definitely Bronn, its been confirmed on numerous sites.

5 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

Jamie keeps saving the world, and he pisses you off?

Without Jamie, the entire story falls apart.

He saves Kings Landing by killing Aerys Targaryen.

Pushing Bran out of the window is far more than saving millions by not starting a war that would happen if Robert found out those weren't his kids. He's the reason Bran is now the Three Eyed Raven. I hope Bran will warg a dragon, assisting Dany in the Battle for the Dawn.

And Jamie is the valonqar, again however it goes down, it will be another act of saving the world, because she's becoming Aerys on steroids.

Exactly. He's the most complex hero of Westeros, the most misunderstood for his own choice.

He has darkness and light, he's brave but let the world think he's a backstabber.

You may accuse him of pride, he has tons of it -a capital offence for the Greek Gods.

Brienne of Tarth is the only one who's seen the depth of him.

Love Jaime. Choosing to stay and fight with his army was very honorable of him (and we're talking about a man known for his lack of honor), and he knew he would lose. 

He just needs to cut the relationship with Cersei so we can see the great man he is :).

4 hours ago, Tywinelle said:

Damn, I hoped he drowned (even though it was ridiculous that the water was so deep).

How the hell was that water sooooo deep???? 

I have noticed over the last few years that there's a bit of an inverse relationship between Jaime and Dany fans. It seems that most people are typically one or the other, rarely both. I find Dany burning people alive to be incredibly disturbing, but I can understand what her fans are getting at when they say that this is her best weapon to utilize. But I don't find Jaime charging Dany to be dishonorable either. Aside from the fact that Dany wasn't exactly defenseless - she was literally standing next to a fire-breathing dragon at the time - Dany had just incinerated thousands of Jaime's men. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who wouldn't try to kill the person who just gruesomely slaughtered all of their men. In fact, that's what I respected the most about Jaime in this episode: that he refused to abandon his men, even though most nobleman would have. 

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I have noticed over the last few years that there's a bit of an inverse relationship between Jaime and Dany fans. It seems that most people are typically one or the other, rarely both. I find Dany burning people alive to be incredibly disturbing, but I can understand what her fans are getting at when they say that this is her best weapon to utilize. But I don't find Jaime charging Dany to be dishonorable either. Aside from the fact that Dany wasn't exactly defenseless - she was literally standing next to a fire-breathing dragon at the time - Dany had just incinerated thousands of Jaime's men. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who wouldn't try to kill the person who just gruesomely slaughtered all of their men. In fact, that's what I respected the most about Jaime in this episode: that he refused to abandon his men, even though most nobleman would have. 

If you had a chance to end the war with one spear would you take it?  I mean that's pretty much what I saw it as.  Him taking out Dany would have saved thousands.  Which is strange because he is obviously in the show ok with his sister murdering thousands of innocent people that weren't soldiers.  

Cowardly?

It was suicidal - It's a decision he made knowing full well he was probably going to die a gruesome death. He's just watched this woman and her nuclear dinosaur roast his comrades to ashes, the same horrors he witnessed under Aerys. While we know there's more depth to Dany, Jaime does not. At that point the charge and attempt to end the war in a single stroke was as heroic a moment as there's been in the series.

The show has messed him up no doubt. But he's actually resembled Ser Jaime Lannister this season. 

3 hours ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

It definitely wasnt Dickon as im pretty sure we see him and also his father Randyll burning to death.I know we definitely see Randyll. Am pretty sure it was Tyrion who saved him.

Reveal hidden contents

It was definitely Bronn, its been confirmed on numerous sites.

I don't think that was Randyll, although I thought it was at first. 

I think Jaime was incredible this episode; excellent military acumen combined with true emotional turmoil watching men burned by Targaryen flames; something Jaime had spent his life trying to prevent.  

But I have a question: Does Jaime owe a duty to the realm to surrender?  Or more accurately, does he owe a duty to Cersei to advise surrender?

There can be little doubt that the Westeros armies are completely incapable of resisting one dragon, let alone three.  If Dragons simply flew- and did nothing else - they would be an invaluable scouting and recon tool which would give any army a decisive advantage.  However, as a weapon, a dragon is several factors of power greater than even the most powerful armaments in Westeroes.  Dragons are heavily armored to the point where they can absorb an accurate scorpion strike and not fall out of the sky; they are extremely fast and mobile and ... yes, there is the dispositive ability to shoot fire, thus having an exceptional "spread kill zone" for any enemy.  

To wit, a dragon is a flying, heavily armored, reusable, nuclear weapon.  And the Lannisters have guys with shields.  Even if they only moderately coordinate with ground troops, they render nearly every opposing army obsolete.  

Therefore, every time an army takes the field against the Dragons those men are, in effect, already dead.  

I think Jaime- who has now been the first Westerosi Lord in 150+ years to face a dragon in battle - has now seen how ludicrously powerful these things are- the last Lannister army was just eradicated by one -- not three, but ONE dragon.  How can House Lannister stand against three dragons when their greatest victories are Blackwater, the Red Wedding and Highgarden - each victory of the "OHMYGODLOOKOUTBEHINDYOU" sucker-punch variety?  

Cersei's war-footing is now entirely untenable.  While its great that she has vanquished her enemies, she has not engendered any available allies. Therefore, every man she sends into the field, alone, has almost no chance of surviving the war.  That means every life lost is a life utterly wasted.  

I think Jaime would advise surrender; because he has already advised surrender in the past- only it was to Aerys to surrender to Tywin.  Jaime has seen the awesome power that no Westeros Army has a chance against.  

If Jaime is truly there to protect Cersei, isn't he obligated to advise her to surrender?  

3 hours ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

If you had a chance to end the war with one spear would you take it?  I mean that's pretty much what I saw it as.  Him taking out Dany would have saved thousands.  Which is strange because he is obviously in the show ok with his sister murdering thousands of innocent people that weren't soldiers.  

Oh, I agree with you, definitely.

I guess you could make the argument that Jaime had to side with Cersei - the Starks and Dany both hate him - but it's still reeks of being a plot device. 

6 hours ago, Fexyr said:

Love Jaime. Choosing to stay and fight with his army was very honorable of him (and we're talking about a man known for his lack of honor), and he knew he would lose. 

He just needs to cut the relationship with Cersei so we can see the great man he is :).

How the hell was that water sooooo deep???? 

Which is horseshit. He is one of the most honorable man in Westeros. Killing the Mad King while he was planning to literally burn alive half a million of people is easily the most honorable act someone has ever done in Westeros. Give me a Jaime everyday instead of the brainwashed zombies like the other legendary Kingsguard (I am looking at you, Ser Arthur).

3 minutes ago, TheRevanchist said:

Which is horseshit. He is one of the most honorable man in Westeros. Killing the Mad King while he was planning to literally burn alive half a million of people is easily the most honorable act someone has ever done in Westeros. Give me a Jaime everyday instead of the brainwashed zombies like the other legendary Kingsguard (I am looking at you, Ser Arthur).

Exactly! 

15 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:

Some say that the scene was a little bit controversial (going to Daenerys when she wasn't watching), it is true but for me war is war and in the war everything is allowed.

this is an appreciation thread for the superhuman courage of Jaime to attack the mother of dragons in the presence of Drogon.

When does courage become plain stupidity?

5 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

When does courage become plain stupidity?

I wouldn't class Jamie as stupid in any way, but I understand what you are saying. Its all a matter of perception.

Jamie was caught up in the moment thinking he could end it all, seeing his people burning, thinking about cersei etc. His judgement was clouded and thought he had an opportunity. Bronn knew right from the outset they were doomed and would be rolled over with ease, hence why he told him to go. 

I think Jaime's book virtue is bleeding over here.

Show Jaime is much more dark than light.

Since it's impossible to see inside his head, we don't get his aversion to Cersei going off the deep end.

We only see him vaguely questioning her and also continue to have sex with her despite supposedly growing apart from her.

We also don't have any of the perspective provided by his journey chapters toward Riverrun, which provide insight into his development.

Book Jaime is on the path toward redemption that he might never quite reach because he still threw a kid out a window.

Show Jaime is basically still a villain, albeit a good looking one played by a good actor that's shown some understanding of his role but no willingness to reform.

Archived