So did dany follow jons advice

I feel like she followed the letter but not the spirit of his advice. She did burn solidiers and not civilians, but as we saw in Arya's scene a few weeks ago, these "Lannister" soldiers are not Lannisters or just soldiers. They are everyday people. It is war and Cersei does need to be defeated, so maybe this is the lesser of the evils? Still, I can't imagine what life in Westeros will be like with almost all of the food gone. I guess there is food in the North. I wonder if the lack of food will lead to mutiny in Dany's ranks. I hope the Dothraki don't go North and cause problems like stealing the food that the Northerners have saved. 

17 minutes ago, Crona said:

But, why does she need advisors to tell her that burning down a city is not considered to be seen as a good queen/savior? Shouldn't something like that come naturally to someone who doesn't want to hurt innocent people

Nothing new.  Her advisors have had to reign her in repeatedly in the last few seasons from taking more aggressive and violent actions. She usually listens,  but I do think its setting up something in the final few episodes. 

As for the question at hand...sort of.  As someone said earlier,  she may have taken the literal meaning,  but perhaps not the spirit of his advice and that he was cautioning her to take great care in using the dragons,  because it would have negative consequences as to how people perceived her.  Sure enough,  we see exactly that during the battle,  when we feel conflicted as viewers,  but more importantly,  even Tyrion seems quite disturbed and unsettled by it all.  

14 minutes ago, bb1180 said:

Nothing new.  Her advisors have had to reign her in repeatedly in the last few seasons from taking more aggressive and violent actions. She usually listens,  but I do think its setting up something in the final few episodes. 

Yea, its really tiring to keep seeing this, I know listening to advisors is a good thing, but sometimes it just feels like she doesn't know what she really wants

1 hour ago, bb1180 said:

As for the question at hand...sort of.  As someone said earlier,  she may have taken the literal meaning,  but perhaps not the spirit of his advice and that he was cautioning her to take great care in using the dragons,  because it would have negative consequences as to how people perceived her.  Sure enough,  we see exactly that during the battle,  when we feel conflicted as viewers,  but more importantly,  even Tyrion seems quite disturbed and unsettled by it all.  

Yes, he looked disturbed. But was it because of the roasted people, or because that people were Lannister's and his brother was there? He didn't seem disturbed at all  when he burned all those Stannis' men with wildfire. 

1 hour ago, bb1180 said:

In the preview of the next episode we see that her advisors are clearly not happy with her. If she goes down the  "Fire and Blood" road, I can see why

5 hours ago, LucyMormont said:

Yes, he looked disturbed. But was it because of the roasted people, or because that people were Lannister's and his brother was there? He didn't seem disturbed at all  when he burned all those Stannis' men with wildfire.

A bit of both,  I think. 

Tyrion's use of wildfire against Stannis is a valid point. Then again,  the circumstances were different.  This was a target of opportunity being caught off guard,  rather than a battle for survival.  Desperation will make people do things they ordinarily might not.

8 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

I'm inclined to share the blame with Varys: what happened to the spider who knew what was happening a world away in Pentos?  The one who knew Cat entered King's Landing incognito? Qyburn may have co-opted his little birds but I believe the old Varys would have at least  noticed something was amiss.  I mean, Euron makes a very public appearance in Cersei's court- Varys may have been on a ship with Dany and co. but he didn't hear about this after they arrived in Dragonstone?  He didn't need his little birds to hear of something like this; it's like he's not even bothering to keep up to date with the most blatant events in King's Landing that would obviously affect Dany's campaign and Tyrion's strategies.

"As long as I have eyes, I will use them" indeed.

Varys and Littlefinger basically ceased to exist. Varys's purpose has been reduced to being the bromantic sidekick of Tyrion for comic relief. Littlefinger is even worse, he is not even anywhere around action, he  is a sneaky puppy at Sansa's heels trying to pretend he is creepy. Littlefinger hadn't had an agenda since season 4, even though he's been he master manipulator of all the events of the first 4 seasons. It's sad, pathetic and an epic fail from the writers. They are both background accessories and this point waiting to be crossed off the supporting cast that's still alive list. 

14 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Varys and Littlefinger basically ceased to exist. Varys's purpose has been reduced to being the bromantic sidekick of Tyrion for comic relief. Littlefinger is even worse, he is not even anywhere around action, he  is a sneaky puppy at Sansa's heels trying to pretend he is creepy. Littlefinger hadn't had an agenda since season 4, even though he's been he master manipulator of all the events of the first 4 seasons. It's sad, pathetic and an epic fail from the writers. They are both background accessories and this point waiting to be crossed off the supporting cast that's still alive list. 

TV Littlefinger is such a laugh- he has this sign above his head that says "I am plotting something evil" written in dragonfire; his book counterpart would be aghast.

On 8/8/2017 at 7:12 AM, Camara said:

She did follow Jon's advice, she wanted to go to the Red Keep but went for armies instead.

Attacking armies is fair game in any war, and there's no Geneva convention in Westeros.

She took his advice but she made the tactical decision to go after the Lannister loot train.  It's not hard to figure out that the loot train full of plunder was Cersei's lifeline.  Dany could not allow Cersei to have that supply because it would just prolong any potential siege of King's Landing.  It was a smart move.  

Dany wanted to melt the Red Keep with 3 dragons. Jon said "bad idea", so she didn't do it. So clearly she took his advice. Responsibility for the military strike on the Lannister army is all speculation as that conversation happened off screen. Personally i'm thinking its a Dany, Jon, Davos collaboration, with logistical input from Tyrion. 

Archived