What is Littlefinger's plan

ssls6

4 hours ago, Pile-O-Starks said:

Davos - I just don't think hes ever been that critical to the overall story (on the show), so I don't mind that he's just sort of there. Jon needs somebody to talk to.

I think Davos will have his big scene and he will have a role to play in the fight between fire and ice.

Think about Book-Davos. In the books he left Stannis long before the battle of winterfell to recruit den Manderlys and after that he went north to Eastwatch and Skagos to look for Rickon and Osha.

This part was cut in the show, so they decided to place Davos meanwhile as an advicer to Jon.

1 hour ago, plastic throne said:

Still that does not answer an important question, why did creepyfingers give her to the Boltons at all. What was there to gain with such action? Surely it wasn't for her to stop being naive and loosing trust with him. I am also not convinced it was to 'break' her the way Theon was, though that seems so far most logical explanation. But still dumb action, too many variables here, he's not a gambler, LF.

I don't know. Maybe to strengthen Sansa as a character she needed to be taken through rough ordeals and LF was a means to hook her up with a madman like Ramsay. I'm probably getting far off though.

15 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

Whatever his plans were, they've been hijacked by some confused writing at this point. It seems like we see the same looped footage of him giving his creeper gaze to Sansa in every episode. 

Agreed. I somewhat understood LF's motivations with Sansa in the books, but then the show had him marry Sansa off to Ramsay Bolton, which undermined everything we've learned about LF so far. Dumb move.

8 hours ago, plastic throne said:

Still that does not answer an important question, why did creepyfingers give her to the Boltons at all. What was there to gain with such action? Surely it wasn't for her to stop being naive and loosing trust with him. I am also not convinced it was to 'break' her the way Theon was, though that seems so far most logical explanation. But still dumb action, too many variables here, he's not a gambler, LF.

There is no logical explanation, no matter how hard you look for it.  D & D pretty much admitted they wanted to give one of their "leading actresses" an important story line in season 5.  So they forced Sansa into this story line with Ramsay that doesn't make any sense at all.  Even now, in season 7, the show is still dealing with plot holes as a result of forcing this. 

If they didn't want to do the Sansa and Littlefinger story in the Vale from the books, they should have just kept her entirely out of season 5 like Bran.  Or they could have had a few episodes where they show Littlefinger arranging a marriage between Sansa and Harry the Heir, Sansa manipulating Harry, and Littlefinger "dealing with " Robin Arryn (not sure whether Robin dies because he is sickly or because Littlefinger arranges it).  This would be a reasonable way to represent Sansa and Littlefinger gaining control of the Vale, as opposed to Littlefinger controlling the Vale because he gave Robin Arryn a bird as a present.

Then they could turn their attention to getting Winterfell back, and pull off the last minute save for Jon in the Battle of Bastards (I still think Stannis reclaims Winterfell in the books, not Jon, but whatever).  And now we are back to the same position in season 7, except now Sansa actually has some reason to still trust Littlefinger, which could actually create some legitimate tension.

I know a lot of people say the Vale story line is too boring to do in the show, but then again this is the same show where we have Cersei smirking and talking quietly in King's Landing for entire seasons.  I'll never understand why D & D chose not to portray Cersei like she was in A Feast for Crows.  Those were some of my favorite chapters, reading about how insane and volatile she was.

13 hours ago, Gaz0680 said:

Pretty much. It really feels like ShowLittlefinger ran out of moves a while ago and his presence is simply being stretched out so they can kill him off at the right time.

Sansa was already starting to resist his manipulations before and Jon was on to him before leaving Winterfell, so with just Sansa and Jon there, I think Show!Littlefinger had just about run out of moves.

Now Bran and Arya have returned, Lord Baelish is done. They just need to have Arya slice his throat and be done with it. He no longer has a relevant place in this story (he would and should if the story showrunners were telling was better crafted and more faithful to books, but it isn't).

I agree. That seems the way the show is going with him. Maybe they'll throw in a last move that will most likely backfire so there's more incentive to kill him. But unfortunately there won't be major surprises ahead when it comes to him. I really hope I am wrong though.

Archived