Mad Queen Starting? Daenerys Threatening The North in the Preview

Iron Mother

5 minutes ago, Snormund said:

Because they both have done terrible things that in their warped minds are the morally acceptable thing to do. Mel thinks she's helping the world. In her mind she is a heroine. She is not malicious and does not enjoy causing suffering like Cersei does. Dany is somewhat similar in that she has a very draconian view of justice and seems to believe anyone opposing her claim to the crown is her enemy and should be attacked. Granted, Dany isn't as insane as Mel.......yet. 

Than why hasn't she attacked Jon and Davos yet?  I also don't recall her burning an 10 year old girl to make the snow melt either. 

3 minutes ago, Snormund said:

They're not opposing her taking the iron throne. They want the North to be independent. 

The North is part of the seven kingdoms and they are opposed to her ruling there. So why hasn't she attacked them yet? Why is she asking for and listening to Jon's advice?  How could Jon possibly fall in love with such an "evil" person because you do this where this is headed, right?

4 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Than why hasn't she attacked Jon and Davos yet?  I also don't recall her burning an 10 year old girl to make the snow melt either. 

I don't recall Mel crucifying potentially innocent people either. 

I'm not excusing Mel. She has been a force of darkness for the most part in the story. My point is you are handwaving Dany doing bad things because she "means well". Well Mel "means well" too. Doesn't change the fact that she burns people alive now does it?

6 minutes ago, Snormund said:

I don't recall Mel crucifying potentially innocent people either. 

I'm not excusing Mel. She has been a force of darkness for the most part in the story. My point is you are handwaving Dany doing bad things because she "means well". Well Mel "means well" too. Doesn't change the fact that she burns people alive now does it?

Those poor "innocent" slavers. I can't tell you how much I cry thinking about how they must have suffered.

6 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Those poor innocent slavers. I can't tell you how much I cry thinking about how they must have suffered.

IIRC some of them were not involved in the slave trade? Regardless torture is never ok. I don't fault her for executing the slavers but torturing them is sick. Don't stoop to their level. 

Forgetting Mirri Maaz Durr too

I'm not saying Dany is as morally twisted as Mel. She isn't (yet). I am making a point in comparing people who take extreme measures in the name of "justice and good". 

2 minutes ago, Snormund said:

IIRC some of them were not involved in the slave trade? Regardless torture is never ok. I don't fault her for executing the slavers but torturing them is sick. Don't stoop to their level. 

Forgetting Mirri Maaz Durr too

I'm not saying Dany is as morally twisted as Mel. She isn't (yet). I am making a point in comparing people who take extreme measures in the name of "justice and good". 

Yes she can be very cruel  and ruthless at times to her enemies. There is no doubt about that. That is why I said she was a very gray character. But she is clearly one of the main protagonists of the story who will be instrumental in saving Westeros from the army of the dead,. 

12 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Yes she can be very cruel  and ruthless at times to her enemies. There is no doubt about that. That is why I said she was a very gray character. But she is clearly one of the main protagonists of the story who will be instrumental in saving Westeros from the army of the dead,. 

Well cruelty should not be a character trait of a hero or heroine. Compare her to Jon, Sansa, Ned, Sam, (book) Brienne, Robb, Bran or Davos. They are never cruel. I guess one could argue Sansa killed Ramsay cruelly but can you really blame her?  She has PTSD for sure. Maybe I'm being a hypocrite there so I'll leave that as a possibility and you can take out Sansa if you want. 

And again hasn't Dany killed potentially innocent people? I could have sworn she has. 

1 minute ago, El Guapo said:

She's not presented as a gray character in the show whatsoever. She presented as the main heroine, the one who will be the savior of Westeros. The reality of how her character acts and the character the writers want to pretend she is do not mesh, at all. They are continually forcing us to see her as this good character who can always do the "just" thing, when in reality her sense of justice is disturbing and twisted. We have never yet been asked by the show itself to question "is Dany right, should Dany rule, is Dany better than the others" we've just been told the answer to all of those questions is "Yes, don't worry" while she proves she is not. 

1 minute ago, Lord Godric said:

She's not presented as a gray character in the show whatsoever. She presented as the main heroine, the one who will be the savior of Westeros. The reality of how her character acts and the character the writers want to pretend she is do not mesh, at all. They are continually forcing us to see her as this good character who can always do the "just" thing, when in reality her sense of justice is disturbing and twisted. We have never yet been asked by the show itself to question "is Dany right, should Dany rule, is Dany better than the others" we've just been told the answer to all of those questions is "Yes, don't worry" while she proves she is not. 

Thank you. Compare that to Mel who is portrayed as a batshit and extremely dangerous extremist. Which she is, obviously. But the show doesn't try to tell us Mel is someone we should cheer for. Yeah, Mel is worse than Dany I just used her cause she's my favorite character and I thought she was an applicable comparison in this debate. 

18 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Those poor innocent slavers. I can't tell you how much I cry thinking about how they must have suffered.

Of course slavers weren't innocent, but not all of the elite class that Dany crucified supported the slave practice, as was brought out after the fact.  And she would have already burned how many cities (and innocent people) if she hadn't been talked out of it.

2 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

Of course slavers weren't innocent, but not all of the elite class that Dany crucified supported the slave practice, as was brought out after the fact.  And she would have already burned how many cities (and innocent people) if she hadn't been talked out of it.

Thank you. I knew I had a point somewhere there lol. I have damaged my memory with my weed use I fear 

4 minutes ago, Snormund said:

Thank you. I knew I had a point somewhere there lol. I have damaged my memory with my weed use I fear 

Lol, I watched every episode high, and the last one  I thought I was watching Indiana Jones while Jon took Dany to the cave, and during the field of fire, I thought I was watching medieval saving private ryan

1 minute ago, Crona said:

Lol, I watched every episode high, and the last one  I thought I was watching Indiana Jones while Jon took Dany to the cave, and during the field of fire, I thought I was watching medieval saving private ryan

What character would you most like to smoke with? I think for me it would be Tyrion. 

Archived