Arya V Brienne!!!!!!! Appreciation Thread

Iron Mother

People are saying they cannot suspend their disbelief that Arya is now an "untouchable, fully-fledged assassin".  I do not think her spar with Brienne was out of possibility.  Sure, Brienne can fight large men, and she has been training her whole life as opposed to Arya's short time.  But how often has she had to deal with a much smaller and agile opponent who also has decent ability to move and wield weaponry? 

No love for Arya/Brienne appreciation in E04?  :(

7 minutes ago, Iron Mother said:

People are saying they cannot suspend their disbelief that Arya is now an "untouchable, fully-fledged assassin".  I do not think her spar with Brienne was out of possibility.  Sure, Brienne can fight large men, and she has been training her whole life as opposed to Arya's short time.  But how often has she had to deal with a much smaller and agile opponent who also has decent ability to move and wield weaponry? 

No love for Arya/Brienne appreciation in E04?  :(

I enjoyed that scene. Especially the smirk Arya had the entire time, epic! 

Bronn says it best when he told Tyrion that the Goldcloak armor would just slow him down. Bronn would have held his own in a fight against the Hound, plus Oberyn proved that quickness and agility can out duel a heavy armor knight. Lets not forget that Sir Jorah was bested by the Bravosi in the fighting pits before the cliche spear/sword in the back saved his life!

Think it's was done well. Of course Brienne didn't take her serious at first. Anyway, the show wants us to tell that Arya is a fully trained assassin now. Think the show is setting us up for a fight between Arya and...? This training with Brienne is just a warm up for the real fight.

It was as good and convincing as it probably could be. The eye was drawn to Arya, but if you watch Brienne, you see her attacking much more clumsily and heavily than she does in a scene where she's being seen as the good guy. Lots of big lunges and slow swipes, basically doing the things she told Pod not to do. Also, Arya's little flicks wouldn't really have parried that big powerful thrust sword and some times Arya was just tapping Brienne's sword with Needle for no clear reason. 

So it doesn't stand up to close scrutiny, but if you keep your eyes on Arya, it's a great scene and as good as it could have been. I think we all want to see her in a proper fight now.

Brienne didn't take Arya seriously in the beginning, that's why she was slower. She started to fight better after she kicked her to the ground. Still it was enjoyable, I like Arya's waterdancing, and the fact, that they did it all by themselves (the actors) and not stuntmen. That's one reason I don't like Oberyn's fight, you basically can't see anything.

The scene was anime bullshit, but I wasn't too bothered by it. It may have to do with my brain being very good at adjusting stories as they move along. I saw a little girl do an overhead block with a thin rapier against a heavy two-handed sword from a strong and seasoned warrior, but, in a sense, that's not what my brain chose to include as part of what was actually happening.

Arya sparred with Brienne and did well. She impressed the castle. That's it.

I love  Brienne  amd Arya they are my two favorite females in the entire story. I didnt know how much i wanted to see them together sparring until it happened. Arya isn't  as stong as Brienne or as big, but thats what made it perfect for me because Arya was the opposite, small and fast. She was  like a snake darting and whatnot. Briennes kick to the chest was beast! But Arya just ninja assassin jumped back up ang got right back in it. Arya is tough able and a survivor. Bri and Arry can tell the proper ladies to keep their silks and lace give them mail and sword and day. Awesomeness.

I enjoyed it. I didn't sense Arya did it because she was trying to show off. She wanted to practice with the best person available and that person was Brienne. When she delivered I think her smirk was more about person satisfaction. Also, there was some magic at work with the FM and their training so I think we need to observe Arya's behaviour from now on as more than just a trained warrior... She has other (powerscaliing - I like that description) skills at her disposal. 

I adored this scene. Did people really not like it? Of course it requires some suspension of disbelief, but not much--Brienne initially wanted to go easy on Arya, until she realized that Arya is a tiny killing machine. By then she was unnerved and making sloppy mistakes. I bought it hook, line, and sinker. Bri's little look of pride at the end made my day. 

I enjoyed it, too.  That doesn't mean it wasn't a ridiculous suspension of the laws of physics.  A hand and a half sword coming down full force at the hands of a well trained fighter twice her weight, and blocked to a dead stop by a rapier.

If they had just had Arya stick with the water dance and be somewhere other than where the blade was coming down on each swing, it would have been better choreographed.  It should have been speed and agility over brute force.  Brute force stopping brute force should not have been Arya's style.

My one true gripe with this fight is how they depicted it. I can suspend my disbelief at someone weighing less than half of their (armoured) opponent getting the best of them through speed and skill. (Which on it's own is pretty impossible, Brienne could just tackle her and crush her skull, Mountain-style, but that's where the suspension of disbelief comes in). But if speed and skill >>> brute strength and skill is what you are going for, then DO NOT show Arya actually blocking some of Brienne's blows with a sword aptly named Needle. They do a decent job when they show her dodging whatever Brienne throws at her, just keep it that way, and work around that. There's no way Arya can block Brienne.

It was a pretty awesome scene. Also, I didn't really see it as Arya "besting" Brienne, but she sure showed her that underestimating Arya is a bad thing to do. Only wish Little-fucking-Finger hadn't seen that. Also, why oh why is that scheming fuck still alive :(

I had some gripes with the fight specifics but not the scene over all. 

Arya has a decidedly flashy fighting style. Hell, she even twirls the dagger in her hand. Where'd that all come from?  She trained a few months with Syrio and the as a faceless man. Assassins don't strike me as flashy fighters with a lot of twirling (striking at an opponent while your back is turned to them?  Come on.).

Needle is a sword designed for a ten year old so it's not full size or weight.  While they did pretty good with her blocks being toward the end of Brienn's sword and just shifting the swing enough to give Arya room to move, they still had a few actual blocks in there. 

No way she could block the swing of a bastard sword wielded with two hands using a child's rapier. 

Mostly it was the flashiness that bothered me. 

I think this was a fantastic scene but it did come across as so fan-servicey that it maybe even was fan-fiction?  That being said, I won't let that ruin my enjoyment of what I thought was a really cool and well-choreographed fight between two way differently-sized combatants (Dorne/Sandsnakes take note of how to choreograph that without making it look ridiculous).

Archived