ASOIAF GOT Spinoffs

norwaywolf123

Disclaimer

I hope this is the correct place for this discussion

I am not a native english speaker.

Main Question

What spinoff stories do you want for the most? Which stories do you think would be most popular? Which stories do you think will be presented as spinoffs, and why? Do you think the intrest in ASOIAF will live long into the future or will it die out?

Spinoff Ideas

1. Roberts Rebbelion 

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Robert's_Rebellion

"We're not doing Robert's Rebellion either. I know thousands of you want that, I know there's a petition... but by the time I finish writing A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, you will know every important thing that happened in Robert's Rebellion. There would be no surprises or revelations left in such a show, just the acting out of conflicts whose resolutions you already know. That's not a story I want to tell just now; it would feel too much like a twice-told tale. "

2. Aegon's Conquest

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Aegon's_Conquest

3. Life of Nymeria (not Arya's wolf) 

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Nymeria

"A thousand years ago when Valyria attacked the Rhoynar in Essos during theire conquest. Nymeria led her people on ten thousand ships on a wild adventure thru dangerous islands to escape the war. Untill finally making her last stop in Dorne. (Where) she allied herself with Mors Martell and took him as her husband. The Martell family was not as powerfull as they are now. But with Nymeria and her warriors who were mostly women, they ruled Dorne. She burned down all remaining ships to signify that her people have a new home, and are finished with theire dangerous travels. A Show about Nymeria will give people insight into the Rhoynar, show the power of Valyria before the doom and the unification of Dorne."

4. Life and Rule of Aegon the Unworthy 

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Aegon_IV_Targaryen

5. The Dance of Dragons 

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dance_of_the_Dragons

6. The attempted conquest of the North by the Andal warlord Argos Sevenstar.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Argos_Sevenstar

7. Andal Conquest of the Vale

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Andal_invasion#Vale

8. The Faith millitant uprising and Maegor the Cruel

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Faith_Militant_uprising

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Maegor_I_Targaryen

9. Dunk and Egg

http://www.tor.com/2017/05/16/grrm-game-of-thrones-spin-offs-about/

"We're not doing Dunk & Egg. Eventually, sure, I'd love that, and so would many of you. But I've only written and published three novellas to date, and there are at least seven or eight or ten more I want to write. We all know how slow I am, and how fast a television show can move. I don't want to repeat what happened with GAME OF THRONES itself, where the show gets ahead of the books. When the day comes that I've finished telling all my tales of Dunk & Egg, then we'll do a tv show about them... but that day is still a long ways off."

10. Tywin Lannisters struggle to put House Lannister at its rightfull place, and fight against the Reynes and Tarbecks.

11. Founding of Braavos

How did escaped slaves from hte Valyrian Freehold organise their society once they gained freedom? How did they revolt against their masters? How has Braavosi orgins as slaves formed their view of morality?

12. Dothraki onslaught following the doom

"The nomadic Dothraki do not have a tradition of settlements. To make a house a thousand years ago, they dug a hole in the ground and covered it with a woven grass roof.[3] Four hundred years ago or more, probably around the time of the Doom of Valyria, the Dothraki rode toward the Free Cities out of the east, sacking and burning every town and city in their path, including the Kingdom of Sarnor, the Qaathi cities in the Red Waste,[4] and the Ibbenese settlements in the Kingdom of the Ifequevron.[5]Khal Temmo and his khalasar of at least 50,000 were stopped by the Unsullied in the Battle of Qohor.[6] During the Century of Blood after the Doom, the Dothraki drove smallfolk from their hovels and nobles from their estates, until only grass and ruins remained from the forest of Qohor to the headwaters of the Selhoru.[7]

Ruined cities and regions ring the vast plains of the Dothraki sea, including the Kingdom of Sarnor, the Kingdom of the Ifequevron, the upper Skahazadhan, and the red waste.[8] The godsway in Vaes Dothrak contains monuments the Dothraki have taken from conquered people.[3]"

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dothraki

13. Slavers Bay (Pre Daenerys)

How does the institution of slavery work in slavers bay? How is Ghisian slavery differ from Westerosi serfdom? 

14. The Golden Company and Blackfyres in exile

15. Something with a Frey ;) Would be funny or maybe just overwhelming to see the family drama

16. Something focused on the nights watch (my favorite)

ASOIAF Bibliography

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/book-category/?cat=song-of-ice-and-fire

Sources:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/536859.html (On Spinoffs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_VN_c625Zw

I think the spin offs are more likely to be stories running alongside what we are witnessing happening in Westeros as opposed to historical spin offs.

The likes of Robert's Rebellion, Aegon's Conquest etc, we all know what happened, so if they made spin offs of them, it would just be like watching one of those recreated historical TV shows. Game of Thrones thrives on surprises and shocking the audience. Robert coming down the Trident and killing Rhaegar with is warhammer wouldn't shock anyone as we already know it happened.

8 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I think the spin offs are more likely to be stories running alongside what we are witnessing happening in Westeros as opposed to historical spin offs.

Intresting, i had not thought of this yet! Do you think the spinoffs will include new POVs in the same saga? Maybe following a knight in the Westermen army? Or a septon who is a leading religous and social figure. Maybe the septon could lead a radical social agenda similar in some degree to the high sparrow. The septon could also be a follower of the high sparrow. Something intresting to me would be to see if there was any revolutionaries who want a kind Magna Carta, French or American revolution?

The likes of Robert's Rebellion, Aegon's Conquest etc, we all know what happened, so if they made spin offs of them, it would just be like watching one of those recreated historical TV shows. Game of Thrones thrives on surprises and shocking the audience. Robert coming down the Trident and killing Rhaegar with is warhammer wouldn't shock anyone as we already know it happened.

Good point, but still the ASOIAF franchise is a cash cow.

GRRM has stated IIRC already that neither Robert's Rebellion nor Dunk+Egg are going to be among the 4 ideas competing.  I'm good with anything really, PATQ would be great, but expensive for Dragon CGI unless they find a way to lower that cost somehow.  Aegon's conquest would be cool as well.  I hope they entertain the idea of doing an adult animated show in the IAF universe someday as well, you could have battles of great scale in animation that you never can with real life actors and extras.

Even though Aegon's conquest would be cool, I think we know way too much about it by now. They could make an anthology series with each season telling the story of a different Targaryen king. Some of the more obscure ones maybe that we don't know a lot about. I'd like to see that. Also, one they could play with would be the rise of the Valyrian freehold and the wars with the Ghiscari Empire. Though I doubt the latter, since they'd probably want to keep the spin offs situated mostly in Westeros.

18 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

Aegon's conquest would be cool as well. 

I dont agree! All the show or the movie would be is Aegon and his sisters trainwrecking westerosi lords.

18 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

I hope they entertain the idea of doing an adult animated show in the IAF universe someday as well, you could have battles of great scale in animation that you never can with real life actors and extras.

Great idea!

I suspect The Dance of the Dragons is what they'll do. It's such a nasty story though that I wonder who the sympathetic characters would be, other than Cregan Stark I suppose. 

I like the idea of an anthology series. I think something like that could be a really good storytelling vehicle and provide more grounding in the lore and history of the world. 

Also, despite what GRRM has said, I think Dunk and Egg will be done eventually. Probably, he just wants to finish the novellas first so that he doesn't get lapped again. 

17 hours ago, The King Of Cooked Steak said:

Even though Aegon's conquest would be cool, I think we know way too much about it by now. They could make an anthology series with each season telling the story of a different Targaryen king. Some of the more obscure ones maybe that we don't know a lot about. I'd like to see that. Also, one they could play with would be the rise of the Valyrian freehold and the wars with the Ghiscari Empire. Though I doubt the latter, since they'd probably want to keep the spin offs situated mostly in Westeros.

Actually, we really know little about Aegon's conquest. There's a lot of the details that could be filled in and it would be truly fascinating to see the political manoeuvrings and negotiations, as well as character developments, not only of the three leads but also Orys Baratheon Aegons closest friend, Torrhen Stark (the King who Knelt), Harrhen the Black, etc).

If done right, it could be amazing, but you would only get one to two seasons out of it. Aegons conquest and rule wouldn't sustain more than that. It could be superb in the hands of better showrunners and storytellers than D&D.

As I said above, the direction I think they're going to go is to show the Dance of the Dragons. That's just a hunch though. What I'd really like to see is more of a straight up follow-up to the current series, maybe jump forward 50 years where everyone's dead except Bran.

I think its going to be tough for them to be anywhere near as successful as GoT with a successor show that features none of the characters the audience became so invested in through GoT. Interest in a prequel I think will only be high from dedicated fans and book readers, not casual viewers.

We must assume that most of the main cast of characters (not just the biggest but also the likes of Brienne, the Hound, Ser Davos, Theon etc) are either going to be killed off or have their futures forever drastically altered because otherwise I am certain they would be doing a successor show that contains the survivors from Dany, Jon, Tyrion, Arya, Sansa, Bran, etc.

I think if the stories are well written, directed, acted, etc., then they'll be successful. As I said with regard to the Dance of the Dragons, while something like that could be visually spectacular, finding sympathetic characters for the audience to root for might be kind of difficult. 

Regarding a successor show that moves forward in time (as opposed to the various prequel ideas), I think something like that will happen eventually (like with Star Wars) but it will take some time for HBO to get there, maybe a decade or more. Almost certainly, the books will not move forward beyond the main series in any major way, so a successor probably won't have any source material to work with. 

I think Melisandre would be a great character for a spinoff. She's old enough that she's been mature and of age well before the current story, and the world of Asshai is a very intriguing mysterious place about which little is known. How did she initially escape slavery and grab her magical power? And what kind of crazy intrigues are going on in the Far East?

On 8/9/2017 at 10:32 PM, Pecan said:

I suspect The Dance of the Dragons is what they'll do. It's such a nasty story though that I wonder who the sympathetic characters would be, other than Cregan Stark I suppose. 

I would think Nettles and some of the Dragonseed characters, like Addam Velaryon, would be strong protagonists for a Dance of The Dragons series. Nettles would have a lot of qualities in common with Arya. Naturally Daemon would be a major figure on the show, a fitting role for an actor of the James Purefoy type. And Rahaenyra would suit a number of well established British actresses. HBO could get a good one or two season show out of The Dance.

On 11.8.2017 at 6:56 AM, The Baelish Mockingbird said:

Honestly, I'm interested in the going-ons of places like Yi-Ti. Heck, maybe we can have a Lomas Longstrider spin-off.

It would be intresting but also more difficult to create more lore as it is isolated from the focus of ASOIAF.

2 hours ago, Fenway said:

I would think Nettles and some of the Dragonseed characters, like Addam Velaryon, would be strong protagonists for a Dance of The Dragons series. Nettles would have a lot of qualities in common with Arya. Naturally Daemon would be a major figure on the show, a fitting role for an actor of the James Purefoy type. And Rahaenyra would suit a number of well established British actresses. HBO could get a good one or two season show out of The Dance.

Dance of dragons would be similar to the war of five kings with little steroids. I think it would be boring. It would be more intresting with something that focused more on the nights watch dont you think? We could learn more of the different wildling clans, tribes, religions, how people in the gift lives, Whitewalkers and the Nights watch.

On 10.8.2017 at 6:53 PM, Pecan said:

I think if the stories are well written, directed, acted, etc., then they'll be successful.

I hope they pick something that has hidden lore not only make a cash cow.

On 10.8.2017 at 6:53 PM, Pecan said:

Regarding a successor show that moves forward in time (as opposed to the various prequel ideas), I think something like that will happen eventually (like with Star Wars) but it will take some time for HBO to get there, maybe a decade or more. Almost certainly, the books will not move forward beyond the main series in any major way, so a successor probably won't have any source material to work with. 

there are spinoffs in production or planning

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/5/15/15640484/game-of-thrones-spinoffs-george-rr-martin

7 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

Yes, but all of the spinoffs currently under consideration are prequels. I was referring to successor programs that are more like true sequels, moving forward in time from the current story.

Archived