Jon should bend his knees.

Jeeves

47 minutes ago, Gala said:

And who would farm the lands- the Dothraki or dragons? I can only image how they would "ask" the farmers for food. Tarly/Lannisater army seems to be shattered, too, but I doubt that they would suffer dothraki as their superior - somebody (a Westerosi) should stay there and rule the lands, somebody she can trust, otherwise this is meaningless. Neither Dany, not her people, except for Tyrion and Varys, whom are her advisors and cannot leave her now in the middle of the war, won't be able to do it. 

A minor Lord from one of the many dozens upon dozens or so houses in the Reach? It is a pretty big kingdom. I find it hard to believe they all turned on House Tyrell. Just because we haven't see them yet it doesn't mean they don't exist. They introduce new Lords on this show all the time when the plot demnds it . Last season alone we met Lord Tarly, Lord Glover, Lord Manderly, Lady Mormont, etc.  If this was truly important to the plot they could introduce a new one now. Just like they could at anytime introduce one of the 5 other Sand Snakes as the new leader of Dorne. But my guess is they won't since Dany's trajectory is having her head North.

(or knowing this show we will just get a throwaway line from Tyrion saying we have retaken Highgarden and food shipments will start up again)

1 hour ago, Gala said:

And who would farm the lands- the Dothraki or dragons? I can only image how they would "ask" the farmers for food. Tarly/Lannisater army seems to be shattered, too, but I doubt that they would suffer dothraki as their superior - somebody (a Westerosi) should stay there and rule the lands, somebody she can trust, otherwise this is meaningless. Neither Dany, not her people, except for Tyrion and Varys, whom are her advisors and cannot leave her now in the middle of the war, won't be able to do it. 

Haha... if the Dothraki tell those farmers to pick the damn corn that corn is as good as picked!! They may not like it, but they'll do it... no question about it.

36 minutes ago, Super Mario said:

Haha... if the Dothraki tell those farmers to pick the damn corn that corn is as good as picked!! They may not like it, but they'll do it... no question about it.

Which language the dothraki will use, I wonder? Oh, I know blade language - very useful indeed.

8 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Yara didn't bend the knee because based on the deal she struck with Dany the Iron Islands are no longer part of the Seven Kingdoms.  As far as Olenna and Ellaria, what makes you think they didn't bend the knee? They support Dany's claim to the throne and with that recognition most likely came an oath of fealty. Though it is likely she didn't have an 80 year old woman go down on one knee to do it.

Okay, fair enough about Yara.  I had forgotten she agreed to allow them to be independent as long as they quit raiding and pillaging.

With Ellaria and Olenna she (via Varys) offered them something in return for their fealty.  If I recall correctly, that's how Varys convinced them to join Dany, not on the basis of her being the rightful queen.  Do she didn't just demand, whereas with Jon she did.  Hopefully I have explained myself better this time.

4 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

Okay, fair enough about Yara.  I had forgotten she agreed to allow them to be independent as long as they quit raiding and pillaging.

With Ellaria and Olenna she (via Varys) offered them something in return for their fealty.  If I recall correctly, that's how Varys convinced them to join Dany, not on the basis of her being the rightful queen.  Do she didn't just demand, whereas with Jon she did.  Hopefully I have explained myself better this time.

She offered Jon all her army and dragons to fight for him whatever says lays beyond the wall.. +the dragonglass..

44 minutes ago, Styl7 said:

She offered Jon all her army and dragons to fight for him whatever says lays beyond the wall.. +the dragonglass..

That wasn't until later, after Tyrion convinced her it was in her best interest to help out a possible ally.  At their very first meeting, she demanded he bend the knee and scoffed at the idea that she could possibly need his help just because she has dragons.

As it turns out, she was ready to go off half cocked (again) and burn KL until Jon counseled her against it.

It is odd. Why did Dany allow Yara independence from the Iron Throne (although she still has to follow their laws it seems) but hasn't offered Jon the same?

Also, it seems as though the Reach is now under the control of House Tarly, so I think Dany's lost them. As for Dorne, who the hell knows (although they seem to be in the same position as the Stormlands and Riverlands; they no longer exist, for all intents and purposes).

14 minutes ago, WSmith84 said:

It is odd. Why did Dany allow Yara independence from the Iron Throne (although she still has to follow their laws it seems) but hasn't offered Jon the same?

Also, it seems as though the Reach is now under the control of House Tarly, so I think Dany's lost them. As for Dorne, who the hell knows (although they seem to be in the same position as the Stormlands and Riverlands; they no longer exist, for all intents and purposes).

The Iron Islands are just a handful of small islands with no real value to them while the North is half the size of the entire Seven Kingdoms.

2 minutes ago, Thor Odinson said:

The Iron Islands are just a handful of small islands with no real value to them while the North is half the size of the entire Seven Kingdoms.

Still, it leads to needless discontent among your bannermen and it's a loss of prestige. Hell, Dany's title is 'Protector of the Seven Kingdoms.' Seven. Not six. And if the Iron Islands are going to be independent in name only why not allow the same for the North?

On 8/7/2017 at 7:39 AM, Heavy D said:

Jon has no more excuses.  Queen Daenerys agreed to help.  Jon should bend his knees and apologize to Dany for being stubborn.  It's time to clear the rubble in the north that is Sansa.  Bend your knees, Jon.

So he bends the knee, becoming one of her bannermen, then what happens when he is needed to fight the WW in the North, and she insists he take care of Cersei first? 

Jon knows that if he bends the knee, he takes the risk of being under someone else's orders, which might run counter to his own needs of saving humanity. 

Right now, other than Edd, Davos (who witnessed Jon's resurrection), and everyone else who's actually seen the Army of the Dead, has any clue whatsoever of just what a complete threat the WW are.

Jon bending the knee could lead to the extinction-level event of failing to stop the Night's King & Co.

4 minutes ago, WSmith84 said:

Still, it leads to needless discontent among your bannermen and it's a loss of prestige. Hell, Dany's title is 'Protector of the Seven Kingdoms.' Seven. Not six. And if the Iron Islands are going to be independent in name only why not allow the same for the North?

Fortunately for her, the Iron Islands don't add to the count:

1) Westerlands

2) The Reach

3) The Vale of Arryn

4) The North

5) The Riverlands

6) The Stormlands

7) Dorne

Seven Kingdoms, without the Iron Islands.

1 minute ago, Thor Odinson said:

1) Westerlands

2) The Reach

3) The Vale of Arryn

4) The North

5) The Riverlands

6) The Stormlands

7) Dorne

To quote Robert Baratheon from season 1: 'You weren't a man until you'd fucked a girl from every Kingdom and the Riverlands. Making the Eight, they used to call it.' I'm paraphrasing, but you get the point. In the show continuity, the Riverlands are not considered one the Seven Kingdoms. I suppose Dany could change that, but.

1 hour ago, Thor Odinson said:

1) Westerlands

2) The Reach

3) The Vale of Arryn

4) The North

5) The Riverlands

6) The Stormlands

7) Dorne

The Tullys of Riverrun were never a line of kings, so Riverlands aren't one of the original Seven Kingdoms that Aegon unified.  At the time of Aegon's landing, the Riverlands were considered part of the Iron Kingdom.

Aside from House Targaryen's island "kingdom" of Dragonstone, the continent of Westeros was ruled by seven monarchs at the time of Aegon's Landing:

1.  Torrhen Stark, King in the North.
  2.  Ronnel Arryn, King of Mountain and Vale.
  3.  Harren Hoare, King of the Isles and the Rivers.
  4.  Loren I Lannister, King of the Rock.
  5.  Mern IX Gardener, King of the Reach.
  6.  Argilac Durrandon, the Storm King.
  7.  Meria Martell, Princess of Dorne.

I totally went on a tangent here. I got it in my head that the original kingdoms were being discussed, not how Dany can continue calling herself queen of the seven kingdoms of the Iron Islands are independent.  

One thing I would add is that I'm pretty sure Dany said something about not caring what the Greyjoys called their "kingdom" as long as they bent the knee.

Correction to the above:  Episode 609 they talk about the independence of the Iron Islands, but only if they supported Dany's claim to the 7K, respected the integrity of the 7K, and to stop raping, reaving, and pillaging. 

To me that definitely sounds like "as long as you owe me fealty and do what I tell you, I don't care what you call yourselves." 

I have to ask at this point what does Jon have to gain if he bends the knee he already has the dragonglass which was his primary reason for going to Dragonstone in the first place anything else would have been a bonus anyway.  To those saying Dany has the most powerful army when you really examine it Jon's army is much more powerful because 

Dothraki-They are horsemen kinda hard to ride a horse in the snow, especially when its deep and the horses are freezing to death

Unsullied-Likely have never fought in cold weather, trained to fight in light attire making them more agile, would have to fight in heavy clothing which they are not used to and are not trained to do in.

Dragon-2 are riderless, now Queen Alysanne did fly silverwing to the wall so it would seem that cold does not affect their flight, but conditions were calm when she was there, and when know that the Night King brings the storm where he goes, and it seems dragons flight can be affected by stormy conditions as the case with Prince Lucerys Velaryon's dragon Arrax during the dance of the dragons

3 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

So he bends the knee, becoming one of her bannermen, then what happens when he is needed to fight the WW in the North, and she insists he take care of Cersei first? 

Jon knows that if he bends the knee, he takes the risk of being under someone else's orders, which might run counter to his own needs of saving humanity. 

Right now, other than Edd, Davos (who witnessed Jon's resurrection), and everyone else who's actually seen the Army of the Dead, has any clue whatsoever of just what a complete threat the WW are.

Jon bending the knee could lead to the extinction-level event of failing to stop the Night's King & Co.

I really don't understand how other people can't see that.  It is so obvious what the implications of him bending the knee would be.

You know the fact that dany told yara that the iron isles can be independent yet pretty much gave a go to hell response to jon is kinda ironic. The iron isles have been the bane of the seven kingdoms for centuries. They don't contribute anything but raid and pillage and often rebel against the throne. And while it doesn't show it in the tv show in the books the iron isles have salt wives which are essentially women they capture and then keep as sex slaves and they have thralls as well which are essentially slaves. So yeah the iron isles getting independence is ridiculous. And dany didn't even put up a fight but gave in. She could have negotiated but instead she just gave in and said oh don't raid anymore. So why the double standard

1 hour ago, SansaJonRule said:

I really don't understand how other people can't see that.  It is so obvious what the implications of him bending the knee would be.

Exactly, Jon can't bend the knee, he doesn't have time to be at Dany's call. He must be free to prepare for the Night King. Dany calling Jon and the North to a seige of King's Landing would spell doom for all.

2 hours ago, snow is the man said:

You know the fact that dany told yara that the iron isles can be independent yet pretty much gave a go to hell response to jon is kinda ironic. The iron isles have been the bane of the seven kingdoms for centuries. They don't contribute anything but raid and pillage and often rebel against the throne. And while it doesn't show it in the tv show in the books the iron isles have salt wives which are essentially women they capture and then keep as sex slaves and they have thralls as well which are essentially slaves. So yeah the iron isles getting independence is ridiculous. And dany didn't even put up a fight but gave in. She could have negotiated but instead she just gave in and said oh don't raid anymore. So why the double standard

Gave in to what? She got Yara to promise to respect the integrity of the seven (now six) kingdoms and to promise to stop reaving and raping. Should Yara go back on that promise I am pretty sure Pyke can expect a visit from Drogon.

Archived