Aerys way out - Trial of seven?

devilish

@Adam Yozza got me thinking. Could Aerys avoid a rebellion by calling a trial of seven? Rhaegar + 6 other knights would be pitted against Brandon + 6 other knights in a fight that will determine who is right and whose wrong. 

There's no denying that the North (Brandon + the Greatjon) can field some good warriors especially if the Vale, the Stormlands (Robert?) and the Riverlands (Brynden?) pitch in. However, Rhaegar would still be in advantage since he can rely on the KG which include Sir Arthur Dayne, Sir Barristan Selmy, Sir Jamie Lannister and an ageing but still relevant Sir Gerold Hightower.

You're free to field your own teams

27 minutes ago, devilish said:

@Adam Yozza got me thinking. Could Aerys avoid a rebellion by calling a trial of seven? Rhaegar + 6 other knights would be pitted against Brandon + 6 other knights in a fight that will determine who is right and whose wrong. 

There's no denying that the North (Brandon + the Greatjon) can field some good warriors especially if the Vale, the Stormlands (Robert?) and the Riverlands (Brynden?) pitch in. However, Rhaegar would still be in advantage since he can rely on the KG which include Sir Arthur Dayne, Sir Barristan Selmy, Sir Jamie Lannister and an ageing but still relevant Sir Gerold Hightower.

Before he executed Brandon and Rickard, yeah I suppose this could have been a way out for him. Ultimately, the opposition couldn't win. If we take the best fighters from the North, Riverlands, Vale and Stormlands we'd probably have a line up of Brandon, GreatJon, Lyn Corbray, Yohn Royce, Robert Baratheon, Jason Mallister and Brynden Tully. Formidable, but probably wouldn't stand up to Aerys's seven. There's only 8 people he would logically choose from any seven out of Arthur, Jaime, Barristan, Hightower, Whent, Darry, Martell and Rhaegar would be his champions; of course, Rhaegar, Dayne and Whent were hidden in Dorne at this point but he also had any number of knights like Jon Con, Alliser Thorne and Willem Darry to choose from if he couldn't get them back in time. Yeah, I reckon Aerys would have won and could have at least delayed the rebellion for a while.

24 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

Before he executed Brandon and Rickard, yeah I suppose this could have been a way out for him. Ultimately, the opposition couldn't win. If we take the best fighters from the North, Riverlands, Vale and Stormlands we'd probably have a line up of Brandon, GreatJon, Lyn Corbray, Yohn Royce, Robert Baratheon, Jason Mallister and Brynden Tully. Formidable, but probably wouldn't stand up to Aerys's seven. There's only 8 people he would logically choose from any seven out of Arthur, Jaime, Barristan, Hightower, Whent, Darry, Martell and Rhaegar would be his champions; of course, Rhaegar, Dayne and Whent were hidden in Dorne at this point but he also had any number of knights like Jon Con, Alliser Thorne and Willem Darry to choose from if he couldn't get them back in time. Yeah, I reckon Aerys would have won and could have at least delayed the rebellion for a while.

I think its an easy way out tbh. Many seem to ignore that

a- the rebellion started by Jon Arryn not by Robert Baratheon or Ned Stark. The Arryns are considered as the purest and oldest line of Andal nobility with their history directly linked with that of the religion of the seven. If Brandon loses the trial then Jon Arryn would have no choice but to accept the result. 

b- Robert Baratheon would be placed in one hell of a situation. He can either refuse to participate which would mean that he had relinquished every right he might have had on his beloved Lyanna or else he can join the fray which would mean having to fight against the likes of Selmy, Jamie, Dayne and co. If he dies, then Stannis will succeed him. Unlike Robert, Stannis can’t care less about Rhaegar’s paramours. 

c- It’s a win win situation for Aerys. If Brandon wins, then treacherous Rhaegar dies and the Starks will get Lyanna + their pound of flesh back. If Rhaegar wins then Brandon and Robert would probably die and the case would be closed.

d- If the Starks insist on revenging Lyanna/Brandon then they will find themselves fighting against a United Westeros who would interpret their action as a direct affront to the gods. I seriously doubt that House Tully or House Arryn would join them in such circumstances. 

1 hour ago, devilish said:

Don't  think it would be possible for Aerys to avoid civil war. The Author of the book kinda needed him to melt down for the plot to work  

Archived