One thing I don't get about the Dany/Lannister thing

Pandean

So, Jon and Tyrion and gang tell Dany not to burn the Red Keep with her dragons because of how it will look to the people of King's Landing. She says fine.

Cut to Dany burning the Lannister army, food supply, etc. with Drogon.

Did I miss something...did the video skip for me or...did Dany just kinda fly off and burn something anyway? When did they decide this? Why? How does this make her different if the main argument was that using her dragons in a show of force was a no-go?

Or am I missing something? DirectTV was being really dumb last night so many it skipped....

Curse my mother for canceling XFinity and switching to DirectTV because there's a reason the latter is cheaper (apparently) and thats because it's shit

Now you've got it right for the most part.  The only thing is Jon had some strange line about how if people see the dragons they will believe in her as some special magical savior, so he was having it both ways - essentially saying "scare the living shit out of people by using these mythical creatures to burn Lannisters, just don't do it anywhere where smallfolk can actually see it and get hit with the collateral damage."

Dany was playing at war and killed soilders not CIVILIANS. Burning and sacking Kings Landing would have resulted in such casualties. But you attack an army in open field void of civilan life you avoid killing "innocents". Granted the Lannister army was marching back "minding their business" but they had just killed Danys allies. They took their gold and food too. Soilders marching or not die in wars.

22 hours ago, Pandean said:

So, Jon and Tyrion and gang tell Dany not to burn the Red Keep with her dragons because of how it will look to the people of King's Landing. She says fine.

Cut to Dany burning the Lannister army, food supply, etc. with Drogon.

Did I miss something...did the video skip for me or...did Dany just kinda fly off and burn something anyway? When did they decide this? Why? How does this make her different if the main argument was that using her dragons in a show of force was a no-go?

Or am I missing something? DirectTV was being really dumb last night so many it skipped....

Curse my mother for canceling XFinity and switching to DirectTV because there's a reason the latter is cheaper (apparently) and thats because it's shit

She didn't melt any castles or burn any cities.  She made an enormous mistake by burning the food supply, which I expect she will come to realize.

2 hours ago, The Bastard of Summer said:

Dany was playing at war and killed soilders not CIVILIANS. Burning and sacking Kings Landing would have resulted in such casualties. But you attack an army in open field void of civilan life you avoid killing "innocents". Granted the Lannister army was marching back "minding their business" but they had just killed Danys allies. They took their gold and food too. Soilders marching or not die in wars.

That's true but one could argue that many soldiers are smallfolk who were conscripted as well and had no choice in who they served.

I'm not sure, I kind of took Jon's words as saying that using her dragons for that type of combat in general would be looked upon ill-favorably, not just with the Red Keep. I could be wrong though.

2 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Now you've got it right for the most part.  The only thing is Jon had some strange line about how if people see the dragons they will believe in her as some special magical savior, so he was having it both ways - essentially saying "scare the living shit out of people by using these mythical creatures to burn Lannisters, just don't do it anywhere where smallfolk can actually see it and get hit with the collateral damage."

Dany is currently anything but that lol

58 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

She didn't melt any castles or burn any cities.  She made an enormous mistake by burning the food supply, which I expect she will come to realize.

True. 

3 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Dany is a force for evil currently (no surprise there). I wonder if she wises the fuck up at any point in the near future.

TBH I wouldn't mind her going out all Mad Queen and stuff.

I have never been a Dany fan.

Just now, El Guapo said:

lol at Dany being a force for evil.  And no she isn't going to be a villain in the books either.

What else do you call killing hundreds / thousands of men needed in the fight against the Others and destroying tonnes of food in a continent about to go through winter? Admittedly there was little chance of getting those men to fight the good fight, but now there's none at all. Of course Dany herself is also refusing to fight the good fight.

Also "isn't survival more important than your pride?" woah.. hypocritical much?!

On 8/7/2017 at 0:21 PM, Pandean said:

You didn't miss anything. She just kind of listened to what Jon said, and will regret (maybe) burning the food supply :(

14 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

What else do you call killing hundreds / thousands of men needed in the fight against the Others and destroying tonnes of food in a continent about to go through winter? Admittedly there was little chance of getting those men to fight the good fight, but now there's none at all. Of course Dany herself is also refusing to fight the good fight.

Also "isn't survival more important than your pride?" woah.. hypocritical much?!

lol.  What's she supposed to do?  She IS fighting a war after all, and I don't think anyone would argue on the moral spectrum that Cersei isn't way more evil than Dany (especially on the show).

As far as Dany "refusing to fight the good fight"- What do you expect her to do?  She's in the middle of a war she has been waiting her entire life to fight and Jon comes in telling her "no, it doesn't matter."  It's gonna take a little bit of time for her to readjust her priorities or I don't know, maybe get some real proof that the White Walkers even exist before giving up on her life's dream?

I honestly think that if Dany waged the perfect strategic war, there would rightfully be complaints here that she somehow gained the experience of a skilled military general without having had much practice at it.  She's a neophyte and she made mistakes.  Learning from mistakes seems to be an important thread this season, let's see what she learns.

1 hour ago, Illiterati said:

I honestly think that if Dany waged the perfect strategic war, there would rightfully be complaints here that she somehow gained the experience of a skilled military general without having had much practice at it.  She's a neophyte and she made mistakes.  Learning from mistakes seems to be an important thread this season, let's see what she learns.

I definitely agree with that.

I'm moreso taking what I've gathered from her personally since the show began.

1 hour ago, Tagganaro said:

Cersei is way more evil than Dany

Aye, probably, but if your best defense is "well, Cersei is worse" you're not doing too well :)

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

I guess Jon is evil too then since he killed thousands of men needed to fight against the others last season when taking back Winterfell.

Well yeah that's a fair point, but getting rid of Ramsay was necessary to even begin defending the North, getting rid of the Lannisters does nothing.

1 hour ago, Pandean said:

TBH, I think Dany being so hung up on being Queen and the Iron Throne may lead to her downfall.

I sure hope so! For someone who constantly harps on about being better than everyone else, she sure behaves as every other tyrant.

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

I guess Jon is evil too then since he killed thousands of men needed to fight against the others last season when taking back Winterfell.

In this case I do not know who's worse the WW and NK or Ramsey, really. 
My fiance, who did not read the books and just watches the show, said something very odd about Dany: "she is the destroyer. Even releasing the slaves was not an act of mercy... it was both a revenge, since she was sold to Drogo and considers herself suffering the same fate as slaves (which not exactly the truth), and she needed new subjects, new admirers. Every place she visits she destroys and does not leave anything as the replacement. While Jon is just Jon, he actually does something for the sake of people. He is a good guy who does his duty." 
In the matter of defeating NK and the Army of the Dead - she is the best candidate being a destroyer, but I, personally, do not think she will be a good ruler. 

2 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

I sure hope so! For someone who constantly harps on about being better than everyone else, she sure behaves as every other tyrant.

She's really hung up on her right to rule and all of that stuff. And for someone who is constantly spoken of as having a gentle heart, having the love of the people, etc. she certainly doesn't seem like it.

1 minute ago, Gala said:

My fiance, who did not read the books and just watches the show, said something very odd about Dany: "she is the destroyer. Even releasing the slaves was not an act of mercy... it was both a revenge, since she was sold to Drogo and considers herself suffering the same fate as slaves (which not exactly the truth), and she needed new subjects, new admirers. Every place she visits she destroys and does not leave anything as the replacement. While Jon is just Jon, he actually does something for the sake of people. He is a good guy who does his duty." 
In the matter of defeating NK and the Army of the Dead - she is the best candidate being a destroyer, but I, personally, do not think she will be a good ruler. 

Your fiance is on something, definitely. All this talk about being a merciful ruler with a kind heart is just...off, tbh. 

I think Jon would be a decent ruler but I also think he lacks a lot of the political acumen for it as well.

TBH, I think a Jon/Dany combo would be disastrous as rulers. I'm not sure what combo would be good though. I almost hesitate to say Sansa with Jon or something because they make up for what each other lacks but I doubt that would happen.

I don't think the endgame is anything but Dany Dany Dany which would make me pissed off but oh well 

3 minutes ago, Gala said:

My fiance, who did not read the books and just watches the show, said something very odd about Dany: "she is the destroyer.
<snip>

Your fiancé is a smart person!

Archived