Bran's Blunder: Telling LF He Was Wise To Him, While NOT Telling Sansa

In the past, I've given Bran a lot of credit for being well above average intelligence.

But what he did in 704 with LF really wasn't too bright.  To put it mildly  Or maybe he's just in such a psychic daze that he can't even be bothered with details like the fact that maybe flesh and blood, living, mortal enemies might kill his body while he's off having visions in his quest to defeat the WW/Others.

Cuz lemme tell you, tipping off LF that he was wise to him was a pretty stupid thing to do.  In fact, there was not even anything subtle about it.  LF's "chaos is a ladder" speech encapsulates who LF really IS, and what he's really all about.  With those four words, Bran might as well have said "You're a bad guy, you've done really bad stuff, I know it, and here, let me prove it with my omniscient psychic powers."

Was that smart for Bran to do?  No, not even close.  He tipped LF off to the fact that he's wise to him, which was a huge tactical error.

And by doing so, Bran has exposed himself and others to even more danger from LF (Probably especially Bran himself.  If LF is not now actively plotting ways to cross off Bran as soon as possible, like, within a matter of hours, then I don't know how LF has the brain power needed to put on his shoes in the morning)

So, what SHOULD Bran have done?? Obviously, NOT tip off LF, but rather, TELL SANSA IMMEDIATELY that LF is a really bad guy and has done really bad stuff and can't be trusted!!  At ALL.  And that, in fact, LF should be executed IMMEDIATELY for the role he played in Ned's death, as well as a variety of other things LF has done (Bran has flat out told us he is omniscient.  I therefore presume he knows what LF did to Ned, and what LF did to Jon Arryn, how LF set all of this into motion in the first place, and even how LF murdered Bran's aunt, Lysa Arryn).  Wouldn't you think Bran would mention all of that to Sansa??

(By the way, even if Bran somehow doesn't know all those details, the safest course of action for LF, by far, is to assume Bran DOES know everything, and act accordingly)

In fact, in light of all the foregoing, we could reasonably now ask "Why is LF still alive and running loose around Winterfell??"

(As an aside, the whole scene was quite reminiscent to me of Ned foolishly tipping off Cersei that he was wise to her WITHOUT first fortifying his own position to deal with the backlash.  At least Ned had the excuse that he didn't realize how dangerous Cersei was, but Bran KNOWS how incredibly dangerous and ruthless LF is, so he...tips LF off that he's on to him, while NOT telling Sansa and Arya what he knows, even during the conversation when he gave Arya the dagger???  What??)

Agreed. I think I saw someone comment elsewhere that Bran is like the guy in a detective series who calls the police that he is coming over to tell them he has figured out who has committed the murders - only to end up running into the killer before reaching the station.

I like the nod to Ned. He is indeed his father's son!

Yes, I agree it looks stupid at first, but in this case this isn't a real world scene, Bran has almost omniscience, which means he can possibly calculate how things will work out, so possibly he setup on purpose a chain of events that will be important.

It's like a self-correcting plot device really, but one that makes sense.

What we have to understand is Bran is not Bran anymore he is the Three eyed raven now. His priorities lie with preventing the WW's and AoD rolling over Westeros. Bran has not fully optimised his Greenseer abilities so its all still in fragments. I believe has seen alot, enough to put 2 and 2 together but not all of what LF has done. I believe the dagger has gone to Arya for a reason, maybe something Bran has had a vision off making sure future events happen.

Way back in season 4 in the Episode The Lion and the Rose. Jojen basically tells him ''if your trapped in summer too long you'll forget what it was to be human'', meera then goes on to say

''youd forget us Bran, youd forget your mother and father, youd forget your brothers and sisters, youd forget winterfell, youd forget you.

Now this cant be anymore of a foreshadow of how Bran is now, hes basically forget everything of Bran hence his emotionless and robotic characteristics. 

Yeah if I'm LF I am definitely going right from that conversation over to Sansa like "ahhhh, remember how you wanted to be prepared for the enemy to the south, and how you don't have much food?  Why don't Sweetrobin and I head south with the KotV and just chill at Moat Cailin for a bit..." if LF goes out with a whimper this year I will be very upset.

2 hours ago, Camara said:

Yes, I agree it looks stupid at first, but in this case this isn't a real world scene, Bran has almost omniscience, which means he can possibly calculate how things will work out, so possibly he setup on purpose a chain of events that will be important.

It's like a self-correcting plot device really, but one that makes sense.

I agree. I remember Jojen had the power to see when people will die including his own death. So Bran has powers where he knows the way things are going to go go down and has the ability to intervene when needed or wants to. He gave the blade to Arya because she will need it to kill littlefinger and for the fight with the wight walkers. Arya is on the  list of top fighters in westeros now. 

51 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Yeah if I'm LF I am definitely going right from that conversation over to Sansa like "ahhhh, remember how you wanted to be prepared for the enemy to the south, and how you don't have much food?  Why don't Sweetrobin and I head south with the KotV and just chill at Moat Cailin for a bit..." if LF goes out with a whimper this year I will be very upset.

Unfortunately LF's character has suffered somewhat due to poor writing. I don't foresee his downfall anytime soon though. He is the de facto ruler of the Vale and the main reason why Starks were able to recapture Winterfell. Jon and Sansa would be dead if it wasn't for him. I fully expect that the next big shocker will be LF making another move on Sansa and her agreeing to marry him. It will not be a marriage of love on her part, but it will help the Starks consolidate their power in the North. Jon is bound to marry Dany, again regardless of whether it's borne out of love or political convenience so it will leave LF + Sansa as a largely autonomous power couple in the North. 

10 minutes ago, Monster_Under_the_Bed said:

Unfortunately LF's character has suffered somewhat due to poor writing.

Agree on that part

I don't foresee his downfall anytime soon though. He is the de facto ruler of the Vale and the main reason why Starks were able to recapture Winterfell. Jon and Sansa would be dead if it wasn't for him.

Correct me if im wrong but Robyn is the Lord of the Vale. Maybe they would be, who would fully know, but granted that atleast 1 member of the stark family are dead because of him.

I fully expect that the next big shocker will be LF making another move on Sansa and her agreeing to marry him.

Not happening - LF will be dead by closure of season 7. 

It will not be a marriage of love on her part, but it will help the Starks consolidate their power in the North.

How will it consolidate their power in the north by her marrying little finger?? Her marrying Robyn might help. Isnt Lord Royce actively counselling her as seen in Season 7, he seems to follow her round alot. Wouldnt then we be right to assume she already has the Vales backing??

Jon is bound to marry Dany, again regardless of whether it's borne out of love or political convenience so it will leave LF + Sansa as a largely autonomous power couple in the North. 

Jon marrying Dany plausible, LF marrying Sansa....ridiculously stupid.

11 minutes ago, Monster_Under_the_Bed said:

Unfortunately LF's character has suffered somewhat due to poor writing. I don't foresee his downfall anytime soon though. He is the de facto ruler of the Vale and the main reason why Starks were able to recapture Winterfell. Jon and Sansa would be dead if it wasn't for him. I fully expect that the next big shocker will be LF making another move on Sansa and her agreeing to marry him. It will not be a marriage of love on her part, but it will help the Starks consolidate their power in the North. Jon is bound to marry Dany, again regardless of whether it's borne out of love or political convenience so it will leave LF + Sansa as a largely autonomous power couple in the North. 

Pretty sure the show runner's have no idea what to do with LF and that he will be dead by season's end. 

4 minutes ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Correct me if im wrong but Robyn is the Lord of the Vale. Maybe they would be, who would fully know, but granted that at least 1 member of the stark family are dead because of him.

Everybody can see that Robyn is unfit to lead so he will likely be disposed of. LF is Lysa's widower and he has brought the Vale to a mutually beneficial alliance with the Starks. If you were a knight of the Vale, would you rather follow the severely limited Robyn or LF and Sansa? Ned's death is old news at this point although it is one skeleton in LF's closet that could bring him down.

How will it consolidate their power in the north by her marrying little finger?? Her marrying Robyn might help. Isnt Lord Royce actively counselling her as seen in Season 7, he seems to follow her round alot. Wouldnt then we be right to assume she already has the Vales backing??

If Robyn was a semi-capable leader then it would make sense for Sansa to marry him. He is a weakling of subnormal intelligence though. The Vale supports Starks, but a marriage would greatly cement their position.

Jon marrying Dany plausible, LF marrying Sansa....ridiculously stupid.

It's unpopular, not stupid. Sansa has learned to be pragmatic under LF's tutelage. It's fairly clear now that LF's desire for power has rubbed off on her to some extent. We have to wait and see how much.

It’s only a stupid move if you assume that Bran cares about his own wellbeing, but I don’t think that’s the case anymore.  If he can get Sansa and Arya to turn against Littlefinger by getting Littlefinger to kill him then that will be a success because it will clear up their time to focus on the threat in the North.  Bran has such extensive power that dying and becoming an old god probably won’t hinder him enough for it to be considered a loss.

Bran is operating on a different plane than the rest of them.

I believe every word he utters is carefully curated to serve a purpose.  Remember that before he became Westeros's surveillance system, he was a very brilliant acting administrator and adjudicator even as a child.  I don't believe he is playing the same game the rest of Westeros is, and that will come to light in time.

Similarly, Jon was an idiot for choking LF.  Why tip your hand?  He should have responded to LF's expression of love for Sansa by saying, "I am sure Sansa is grateful for your devotion"  and then ask him his advice on some matter to make it appear you value his input.  Then once you get out of the crypt, make plans to neutralize LF at the earliest opportunity.  At least make sure you and Sansa are on the same page as to how to handle LF.

What you do not do is make it clear you will violently thwart LF's plans to win Sansa and then immediately leave him alone with Sansa.  Instead, Jon basically pulled the same idiot move Ned did with Cersei, "I'm going to reveal your secret so don't even think of setting into motion any plans you have to do me in."

In reality, the reason for Bran's scenes being nearly unwatchable is bad writing.  The writers want the dramatic reveal to occur in some future episode so Bran will reveal it then.  

In out attempts to twist ourselves sideways to make sense of bad writing, we can come up with fun theories (and I enjoy doing this, regardless of how futile I think it is).   

Bran is close to omniscient. He is also not playing the game of thrones. He is playing the game of keep humanity alive while they play the game of thrones. He doesn't care about LF other than how he relates to stopping the WW's.  As suggested above, that likely means letting him do something awful before his Episode 7 demise.  Letting him know that he knows all his scheming has been noted is pushing him in a direction where Bran needs him.

I think Bran is still processing everything he's seen and making sense of it. I don't think he's seen the events linearly and that everything must be out of context to him. So it's not until LF actually comes up to him that Bran starts going over some of the stuff LF has done in the past. But even then, he kinda just blurted it out and didn't seem to be all there when he said it.

I don't know if this will be different in the books, but I'm beginning to believe it. Since there's no Howland Reed in the show, Bran seems to have taken over his role in confirming R+L=J. But Bran is also so powerful at this point that he renders a lot of storylines pointless e.g. LF being involved in the downfall of House Stark. So they've decided to have him be "absent" to stop him from intervening. It wouldn't surprise me if Bran came close to being normal next season.

6 minutes ago, WolfOfWinter said:

I don't know if this will be different in the books

I'm pretty sure it will. This plotline is wayyy behind in the books, so the showrunners have little to nothing to go on, which is probably why a lot of it feels very random now (mangled story, or just crucial information missing).

Here's a crackpot about both the show and the writing of it.

LF is sidetracked because of the metareason, that The Game is getting less and less relevant in the big picture. He is the embodiment of the Game and fading as the Night King becomes more and more the real a threat in the minds of the players. This is reflected in the writing and him being less and less the mastermind he was. He is still a shadow of a man that he was though, as the War is very real and serious in the South at the end of ep 4. But there is already a King in south too, that does not care about the Throne and a Queen that is being slowly directed to see the real important issue. There is one more Queen and "King" (Euron) and who are fully committed to the Game and thus the Game is still on.

Once the focus of the South (Dany, Cersei, both, someone else that is standing still) moves properlt to Night King in the Show, LF dies as his purpose is done and arc ended. This could be due to war ending or at least one side just simply letting the issue go for now, to face the WW in the North. The Game over - playtime over :/ And thus RIP LF.

I predict in the second last scene of episode 7. Right before the wall comes down to leave us to wait for the last season :fear:

Archived