What is Arya going to do with that knife?

Count Winter

29 minutes ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

Sam sees the dagger in the books and parchment at the citadel.  Anyone else think this was Rhaegar's dagger?  Apologies if that has been mentioned.  

1. The catspaw dagger has another name
  2. Targaryen heritage quite possibly Rhaegar
  3. Found in the book Sam was reading - obviously important and/or belonged to someone wealthy
  4. Covered in dragon glass - sign of wealth/importance
  5. Has to be important as its Valyrian Steel

Bran repeats the line it was someone wealthy who owed the dagger. Given he is the 3 eyed crow, I'm pretty sure he actually knows who that is and probably doesn't care about that stuff anymore. However he does give it to Arya who clearly does care about that stuff and since he probably knows the contents of Aryas list again indicated by his comments about it and her choice at the crossroads. Most likely outcome given the looks of LF in the episode and sansa also saying he can't be trusted, is Arya will slit his throat or at least have the knife to it in the same way he had a knife to Ned's. However given its LF he will no doubt have something sneaky up his sleeve. Quite what his influence over anyone anymore with Jon king in the north and the vale pledged to him I don't know why anyone puts up with him. His only hope is manipulating Sansa into a position where she trys to grab winterfell from Jon but things are gone beyond that. So if LF has served his purpose re any plot lines a good time to go. He must have some other secrets otherwise events have overtaken him

14 minutes ago, JRRStark said:

Quite what his influence over anyone anymore with Jon king in the north and the vale pledged to him I don't know why anyone puts up with him.

He is warden of the Vale until Robin comes of age so he still has influence there.

Speaking of, how old is Robin supposed to be now and at what age does he come of age, anyone know?

5 hours ago, Jayc said:

So Bran has seen who gave the dagger to the assassin to kill him. My theory is that it was Little Finger. Bran also knows Arya is an assassin. So he gives the dagger that was used to kill him to Arya to kill Littlefinger.

I agree.  And then she'll also kill WW with it.

14 hours ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

So with that, I believe the dagger will serve as maybe an alternative in the wars to come against the Night King but also will serve as tool to help Jon realize his roots/parentage.

What do you mean by alternative?

10 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

Can you reply to posts without being an ass?  Is that beyond your grasp?

Can I copy this and use it for 95% of the replies/comments I get? Why do people get so put out over questions and comments? Isn't the Westeros world wide enough for different points of view? (Someone will get huffy about my Hamilton reference... just you wait...)

27 minutes ago, direwoofwoof said:

Can I copy this and use it for 95% of the replies/comments I get? Why do people get so put out over questions and comments? Isn't the Westeros world wide enough for different points of view? (Someone will get huffy about my Hamilton reference... just you wait...)

Use to your hearts content. 

As to why people see to get so aggressive about it, I've no idea. I have no problem with discussion, debate and arguments but when people feel the need to lob insults I usually lose interest in anything they have to say.  

8 hours ago, Jayc said:

So Bran has seen who gave the dagger to the assassin to kill him. My theory is that it was Little Finger. Bran also knows Arya is an assassin. So he gives the dagger that was used to kill him to Arya to kill Littlefinger.

I don't see how it could have been LIttlefinger. He wasn't at Winterfell when Bran fell, so I don't see how this would work. Am I missing something though?

Leaving the books aside, in the show Littlefinger says it was Tyrion's, and it's unlikely he would lie about this as it's easily disproved. The question is whether it was STILL Tyrion's by the time the King's party got to Winterfell or whether he had lost it to Robert in a bet of some sort. My guess is that Cersei ordered the assassination as she had the most motivation to do so, though I'm not sure where/why she got that dagger. Littlefinger just took advantage of the situation.

Would like to hear thoughts on how the assassination could have been ordered by somebody who was not at Winterfell with King Robert. It just seems next to impossible.

The symmetry of Littlefinger being killed with that dagger is too good for D&D to pass up. LF will be dead by Arya's hand within 2 episodes. Seems pretty likely she'll be whacking some Others with it when the time comes.

Sam seeing the dagger in a book, along with it being Valyrian steel does imply a certain royal heritage of the original owner. It would be rather cool if it gets traced back to Rhaegar.

1 minute ago, Super Mario said:

The symmetry of Littlefinger being killed with that dagger is too good for D&D to pass up. LF will be dead by Arya's hand within 2 episodes. Seems pretty likely she'll be whacking some Others with it when the time comes.

Sam seeing the dagger in a book, along with it being Valyrian steel does imply a certain royal heritage of the original owner. It would be rather cool if it gets traced back to Rhaegar.

It's gotta be Rhaegar's blade right?  Red Ruby in the hilt wasn't that his thing?

17 hours ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Why are you wanting to know a book story line?????? 

ROBERT DID NOT HAVE IT IN THE SHOW AS FAR AS WE ARE AWARE, WE HAVE NO EVIDENCE TO BELIEVE THIS

IN THE SHOW WE CAN FIGURE OUT LITTLE FINGER HAD IT THEN HE CLAIMED HE LOST A BET TO TYRION LANNISTER, HENCE WHY CAT HAS HIM SEIZED AND TRIALLED, FOR THE ATTEMPTED ASSASSINATION OF BRAN. 

I REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT THE BOOKS WHEN DISCUSSING SHOW EVENTS.

Dude, you need to chill out.

17 hours ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Why are you wanting to know a book story line?????? 

ROBERT DID NOT HAVE IT IN THE SHOW AS FAR AS WE ARE AWARE, WE HAVE NO EVIDENCE TO BELIEVE THIS

IN THE SHOW WE CAN FIGURE OUT LITTLE FINGER HAD IT THEN HE CLAIMED HE LOST A BET TO TYRION LANNISTER, HENCE WHY CAT HAS HIM SEIZED AND TRIALLED, FOR THE ATTEMPTED ASSASSINATION OF BRAN. 

I REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT THE BOOKS WHEN DISCUSSING SHOW EVENTS.

Sam, I am just wondering, have you read the books?

I know you and I talked about this briefly on another thread yesterday, but when you say something like 'I REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT THE BOOKS WHEN DISCUSSING SHOW EVENTS', it really isn't a fair statement. This show is based on the series of books, so in that sense, especially for people who have read the books, it can be very hard to differentiate between the two, as the show hasn't included everything it the books, which can be easily forgotten by forum posters.

It has become easier in the past two seasons, as the show has gone beyond the books and into its own direction. Before that, though, the books were the source material for the story, so essentially, it was the same story, give or take a few tweaks here and there. For people who have read the books, we remember the stuff from them to be the facts and can forget that the show has tweaked them.

If someone mixes the two up, it doesn't mean they are wrong; it means that the show has left something out that the forum poster regards as information or something that happened in the story - the same story that came from the series of books.

Archived