What is Arya going to do with that knife?

Count Winter

16 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

The picture in the book, and the amount of time the camera stayed on it, combined with the sudden reappearance of the dagger definitely seems to elevate its importance.  Not to mention the number of scenes and amount of dialogue specifically referencing that dagger.

I just can't see why, narratively. Granted we don't have all the information but it seems like there would have been some hints or clues about a dagger much earlier in the series.  That is, unless this is a last minute change/addition. 

I'm scared that the show is going to make the dagger Lightbringer.  :wacko:

I thought it was more simple than that, given that it is the show and some of the backstory will be lost as it would be too hard to show. Basically the simplest explanation is this was the dagger that LF gave an assassin to kill Bran, whether this was at the behest of cersei or just to cause the war of the 5 kings for his ladder climbing. LF also had a knife to neds throat when he betrayed (or fooled as he was never on his side anyway) back in the first series. So a bit of poetic justice he will be killed with it by Arya. Hoisted by his own petard. However the biggest flaw with this theory is its LF and he is so good at plotting and seeing the plans of others but again he has meet his match in bran who sees everything and ironically has no interest in the game LF is playing. Otherwise Arya kills Cersei with it as all the conversations and lingering camera shots on the protagonists foreshadow LF/arya making it too obvious and I think we know not to expect the expected. 

1 hour ago, JRRStark said:

I thought it was more simple than that, given that it is the show and some of the backstory will be lost as it would be too hard to show. Basically the simplest explanation is this was the dagger that LF gave an assassin to kill Bran, whether this was at the behest of cersei or just to cause the war of the 5 kings for his ladder climbing. LF also had a knife to neds throat when he betrayed (or fooled as he was never on his side anyway) back in the first series. So a bit of poetic justice he will be killed with it by Arya. Hoisted by his own petard. However the biggest flaw with this theory is its LF and he is so good at plotting and seeing the plans of others but again he has meet his match in bran who sees everything and ironically has no interest in the game LF is playing. Otherwise Arya kills Cersei with it as all the conversations and lingering camera shots on the protagonists foreshadow LF/arya making it too obvious and I think we know not to expect the expected. 

It's Valyrian steel, with dragonbone (that fire can't burn) and dragonglass (frozen fire). A weapon like this isn't meant just for LF. Like Bran said, he doesn't care about LF. He sees the bigger threat and if you look at the way Bran gave the dagger to Arya... that was a little strange, like he was doing something very important and meaningful. A catalyst moment. 

I think she is killing some Whitewalkers.

3 hours ago, DutchArya said:

It's Valyrian steel, with dragonbone (that fire can't burn) and dragonglass (frozen fire). A weapon like this isn't meant just for LF. Like Bran said, he doesn't care about LF. He sees the bigger threat and if you look at the way Bran gave the dagger to Arya... that was a little strange, like he was doing something very important and meaningful. A catalyst moment. 

I agree with you that she is probably going to kill some Whitewalkers, but to me (personally) it just doesn't make sense. Her character arc, even in the show, never really hinted that way (as far as I could see, maybe someone can correct me). Ever since the House of Black and White, the show seems to not know exactly what to do with Arya, which I wonder if in the books she kinda just does her own thing and continues to be the "lone wolf" looking for her "pack". Maybe never finds it? God that would be depressing.... Or she learns to like being a lone wolf and that's the bittersweet ending for Arya? 

9 hours ago, DutchArya said:

Yes I think she will follow Jon if possible, she was close to him and she would join his fight. However she is the main instrument of Stark especially Ned's revenge. She will also finish her list with the exception of the hound who is now kinda on their side and whom she has gained respect for. She could be the one to kill the NK. after he kills Jon (which lets face it isn't a terminal condition in westeros). But there is certainly some significance in Bran giving it to Arya. He more than likely knew he was going to get it and give it to Arya and also probably knows what she is going to do with it. Hence you can understand his bored expression all the time. He is focused on the NK which he must not be able to see so well and figure out. Actually thinking about it, it could also explain why he wasn't fussed about Meera going as he already knows he will be seeing her again, just can't really tell her.

9 minutes ago, JRRStark said:

Yes I think she will follow Jon if possible, she was close to him and she would join his fight. However she is the main instrument of Stark especially Ned's revenge. She will also finish her list with the exception of the hound who is now kinda on their side and whom she has gained respect for. She could be the one to kill the NK. after he kills Jon (which lets face it isn't a terminal condition in westeros). But there is certainly some significance in Bran giving it to Arya. He more than likely knew he was going to get it and give it to Arya and also probably knows what she is going to do with it. Hence you can understand his bored expression all the time. He is focused on the NK which he must not be able to see so well and figure out. Actually thinking about it, it could also explain why he wasn't fussed about Meera going as he already knows he will be seeing her again, just can't really tell her.

I do not think she finishes her list. It seems so unlikely that she travels south at this point.

The dagger is for White Walkers. Also, I think the dagger may have some secrets to reveal, but that's just a guess. There was really no reason to bring it back if it was ONLY for stabbing.

On 8/8/2017 at 1:46 AM, The Bastard of Summer said:

Arya is going to fuck shit up with that dagger, not just littlefinger (she's  going to slit his throat like it was intended to do for Bran) then Arya is going to die fighting white walkers  (she will take a few out). Butt before she bites it I  do believe she will kill Cersei. Or perhaps  kill Cersei as a wight if she does somehow get killed before she finishes her list. I think Bran purposefully gave her that dagger. He setting up a chain of events. 

THIS, and I think LF seeing Arya brandishing it in the Brienne-Arya Sparring match was also a bit brilliant, because LF JUST GAVE it to Bran, so now LF knows the Stark kids are "united" and likely talking about him. Knowing him, he's going to have to GTFO or do something rash. 

1 hour ago, JRRStark said:

Who is left on Aryas list. Apart from cersei down south?

1 hour ago, Illiterati said:

Cersei

The Mountain

Mel

Beric

Thoros

Ilyn Payne

The other potential target at some point is Varys, she overheard him talking about killing her father with Ilyrio way back in the first season.

I have a nothing to back this up with other than the season 7 trailer clip showing Arya looking under her bed, but I think Sansa is going to steal the dagger from Arya. Sansa looked upset after she saw Arya train with Brienne, I think Sansa doesn't want Arya going anywhere near Cersei. She was really upset about Jon leaving and she warned Jon about Cersei. If anyone uses that dagger on LF I think it will be Sansa.

4 hours ago, Illiterati said:

Cersei

The Mountain

Mel

Beric

Thoros

Ilyn Payne

Well two of them are in the north now and maybe mel will be there too. However as the story moves on I believe her list changes as with the hound. Its Cersei the mountain and Ilyn payne are the main ones in KL. But she chose winterfell 1st. I cannot see her leaving without seeing Jon. That will change everything for her. Jon Bran and Arya the dream team.

23 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

Jon may be off fighting in Eastwatch before coming back to Winterfell, we may not see the Arya reunion this season.

True, maybe that is one of the bittersweet things they never get to meet. A though just occurred that Jon has become detached from the other Starks, and may soon find out from bran or others he is targaryen after all.

4 minutes ago, JRRStark said:

True, maybe that is one of the bittersweet things they never get to meet. A though just occurred that Jon has become detached from the other Starks, and may soon find out from bran or others he is targaryen after all.

I think there is not enough time for Bran to sort that out, and for them to meet, before the season finale.  I don't believe this is something you send via raven.  OTOH Bran hasn't been prone to social niceties lately, has he?

Archived