Corvinus

Why is Bronn so loyal to Jaime?

46 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Bronn goes above and beyond for Jaime in this episode. After we see him complaining about the reward he got from Jaime at the start of the episode (the gold bag, and not the castle), and was visibly irritated by Jaime, he then abandons his gold, attempts to follow Jaime's orders at risk of his own life, and again risking his own life, saves Jaime.

Now Bronn obviously developed some kind of good relationship with both Jaime and Tyrion. They both made sure he was getting paid. But when Tyrion is in need of Bronn during his trial, Bronn is not very keen on facing the Mountain. He had just been offered a lordship, and the roguish sellsword is satisfied.

But he is willing to risk being burned alive by a dragon, not knowing whether or not he'll be rewarded. Sure the Lannisters pay their debts, but the size of a debt can be relative in a Lannister's mind.

Also, he may be aware by now that Tyrion is Dany's Hand, thus there is a possibility of reunion. I should think someone like him would find it easy to switch sides; Tyrion would probably welcome him with open arms.

So did I miss something? What has made Bronn so loyal to Jaime? 

Edited by Corvinus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bump.

Some of this is being discussed in the Rant & Rave thread, perhaps we can separate it and do it here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually had the same thought.  He wouldn't risk his life for Tyrion when Tyrion was loosing, but did so for Jaime.  As you said, seeing the Lannisters beaten he should realize he isn't getting a castle staying on their side.  Maybe he thinks he did not part on good terms with Tyrion?  Maybe he didn't think it through fully and just thought he would never get his castle if Jaime died.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there is a reason, beyond the fact that they wanted Jaime to survive and it seemed dramatic for Bronn to save him.

For an in-universe answer, it seems strange he wouldn't grab his money and run. I think that would've better suited his character, and then had Dickon (snigger) save Jaime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think all things aside, Bronn just likes Jaime and he didn't have time to think.  He just reacted.  Whereas with Tyrion, he had time to deliberate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For one thing, Jaime owes him a huge reward, which he won't receive if he flees or Jaime dies. 

For another, in the circumstances of that ambush, fleeing was not a terribly viable survival strategy. Brown is calculating and self interested, but he's also a seasoned warrior. He knows that people running are easier to kill than ones who fight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that Bronn is loyal for the money of the Lannisters

Jaime promised him lands, castles and money so for Bronn, Jaime needs to stay alive and the lannisters on the iron throne 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In ASOS, Tyrion describes Jaime (and Addam  Marbrand) as "the sort of man that other men like to follow". I think Bronn likes Jaime beyond the payment factor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the only time I felt he went above and beyond for Jaime was saving him. But, by then Bronn had already shot Drogon, I think after that he pretty much knew Dany wouldn't spare him in the field. His best chance really, is to keep Jaime alive so he can continue to get payments,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The Lannisters still have the capacity to pay him the most, especially now that he's eyeing not just gold, but land/titles.

They've already knighted him, and they've essentially promised to be his meal ticket into the landed aristocracy (from which position the money really starts to roll right in, and less perilously than the sellsword life)

2 hours ago, Yukle said:

I don't think there is a reason, beyond the fact that they wanted Jaime to survive and it seemed dramatic for Bronn to save him.

For an in-universe answer, it seems strange he wouldn't grab his money and run. I think that would've better suited his character, and then had Dickon (snigger) save Jaime.

Not at all.  I think they, with that shot of him eyeing the loose sack of gold and not going for it, did an adequate job of establishing that he figured out going for it at that moment was going to cost him his life, and coin ain't worth shit to a dead man. [Maybe Bronn's genre-savvy and has seen all the films where the mercenary gets murked while he's grabbing his dropped cash :lmao: ]

So it's Plan B, go for House Lannister Employee Of The Month again and keep an eye on that Lordship.

Edited by Frances Bean Corbray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yukle said:

I don't think there is a reason, beyond the fact that they wanted Jaime to survive and it seemed dramatic for Bronn to save him.

For an in-universe answer, it seems strange he wouldn't grab his money and run. I think that would've better suited his character, and then had Dickon (snigger) save Jaime.

Exactly. There's no in-universe solution. That whole scene was so artificially crafted just so that Jaime could survive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

The Lannisters still have the capacity to pay him the most, especially now that he's eyeing not just gold, but land/titles.

They've already knighted him, and they've essentially promised to be his meal ticket into the landed aristocracy (from which position the money really starts to roll right in, and less perilously than the sellsword life)

Not at all.  I think they, with that shot of him eyeing the loose sack of gold and not going for it, did an adequate job of establishing that he figured out going for it at that moment was going to cost him his life, and coin ain't worth shit to a dead man. [Maybe Bronn's genre-savvy and has seen all the films where the mercenary gets murked while he's grabbing his dropped cash :lmao: ]

So it's Plan B, go for House Lannister Employee Of The Month again and keep an eye on that Lordship.

But do you think after seeing this battle and the destruction just one of Dany's dragons did to the Lannister army, that the calculating Bronn who is always out to save his own skin wouldn't realize that he is fighting for the losing side? And there will be no reward at all once Cersei is deposed and killed? Bronn should have gathered his gold that fell and ran. But he didn't because they needed him to save Jaime's life at the last second. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forget, what happened to his marriage with Lolys? Wasn't he supposed to already have a castle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, Lord Godric said:

But do you think after seeing this battle and the destruction just one of Dany's dragons did to the Lannister army, that the calculating Bronn who is always out to save his own skin wouldn't realize that he is fighting for the losing side? And there will be no reward at all once Cersei is deposed and killed? Bronn should have gathered his gold that fell and ran. But he didn't because they needed him to save Jaime's life at the last second. 


Who says Dany would even hire him?  For all he knows she might nurse a grudge after shooting her pet.

Besides, Dany saw him save Jaime's life.  If he is entertaining flipping, best to show her something.  It's not like he can email his resume to her (he also doesn't know he's got Tyrion on that side as a reference).

In the meantime, he's grounded a dragon and saved a general's life.  I'd say that's a good argument that Team Lannister owes him a raise and they best give it to him before someone else does.

[and I will maintain that he didn't go for the sack of gold because he saw the Dothraki bearing down on him and figured out he couldn't grab the gold without getting killed in the process.]

 

Edited by Frances Bean Corbray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I forget, what happened to his marriage with Lolys? Wasn't he supposed to already have a castle. 

Lollys was the younger daughter so no castle, hence his implication that he was going to kill the "mean" older sister.  The marriage would've raised him to the aristocracy as a member of House Stokeworth (by marriage) but that was all.

But that got cancelled when Jaime dragged him off to Dorne.  Jaime promised Bronn a better match (with a castle he didn't have to kill an in-law for) was coming as a reward for walking away from the Stokeworth marriage and doing Jaime this huge favor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:


Who says Dany would even hire him?  For all he knows she might nurse a grudge after shooting her pet.

Besides, Dany saw him save Jaime's life.  If he is entertaining flipping, best to show her something.  It's not like he can email his resume to her (he also doesn't know he's got Tyrion on that side as a reference).

In the meantime, he's grounded a dragon and saved a general's life.  I'd say that's a good argument that Team Lannister owes him a raise and they best give it to him before someone else does.

[and I will maintain that he didn't go for the sack of gold because he saw the Dothraki bearing down on him and figured out he couldn't grab the gold without getting killed in the process.]

 

I don't think you're wrong with any of this. But I don't see how this man who has been ruthlessly self-serving since the day we met him doesn't think of himself first here. He has to know that "Team Lannister" may owe him a raise right now, but they just suffered a huge defeat and they likely will not be able to give him that raise anytime soon. "  Remember all of that gold is going to the Iron Bank, not into Cersei's coffers.  Further this dragons just destroyed the Lannister army effortlessly. Why would he ever assume that the Lannisters would be able to defeat them. Especially when he himself pulled the trigger on the scorpion that hardly wounded the dragon, and that is the Lannister's "secret weapon. Why he decided to save Jaime here makes no sense without the meta-reason that they needed Jaime to be saved. 

Edited by Lord Godric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bronn will need to be executed in the next episode.  He hurt a dragon.  I'm thinking dragon fire is justice.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

 [Maybe Bronn's genre-savvy and has seen all the films where the mercenary gets murked while he's grabbing his dropped cash :lmao: ]

A round of applause, that made me laugh.

Like others, I see no reason for Bronn to show loyalty to Jaime rather than Tyrion, with whom he was actually friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think Bronn is beginning to question his support of the Lannisters. He was obviously not happy about the rewards he has been given so far. 

He saved Jaime because keeping Jaime alive means Bronn gets a castle.

But if Bronn doesn't get a castle soon and things start going further south for the Lannisters, he might just switch sides. All of that is in keeping with his character. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now