Iron Mother

Looking Ahead: Littlefinger & Varys

33 posts in this topic

If something is going to happen to Varys, please don't let it happen before we learn who owned the 'voice' on the day he was cut.  Both the show and the book tell us his memory is a voice of a 'priest' who threw his parts into the flame.  We are left to think he would recognize it again.  Who was it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Greywater-Watch said:

You really believe D&D care about the Vale or who leads it or Sweet Robin anymore? The Vale and its army are probably written off into non-existence as much as Dorne, The Stormlands, etc.

No.  If I'm right, The Vale is encamped all around Winterfell currently.  That's why Lord Royce is still in Winterfell, we saw in 2 episodes ago Sansa advised him to get the breastplate guy to use leather because of the cold.  Royce would not be there if the Vale was not there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

If something is going to happen to Varys, please don't let it happen before we learn who owned the 'voice' on the day he was cut.  Both the show and the book tell us his memory is a voice of a 'priest' who threw his parts into the flame.  We are left to think he would recognize it again.  Who was it?

I don't think it was a voice of a priest. In the show Varys had captured the priest that cut him. 

I've also been intrigued by that since I read it in the books. Also it would be very nice to know what exactly that voice said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iron Mother said:

No.  If I'm right, The Vale is encamped all around Winterfell currently.  That's why Lord Royce is still in Winterfell, we saw in 2 episodes ago Sansa advised him to get the breastplate guy to use leather because of the cold.  Royce would not be there if the Vale was not there.

If they were going to get all the smallest details right it would take the show 30 seasons, and the actors would be old men by the time they finished the show. I think D&D did a decent job with the show aside from a few episodes that I thought shouldve been written differently. Certain moments i wish were more like the books, and other things im glad they didnt do it just like the books, because it just wouldnt make sense for TV (like tyrions nose for example)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ImNoSer said:

If they were going to get all the smallest details right it would take the show 30 seasons, and the actors would be old men by the time they finished the show. I think D&D did a decent job with the show aside from a few episodes that I thought shouldve been written differently. Certain moments i wish were more like the books, and other things im glad they didnt do it just like the books, because it just wouldnt make sense for TV (like tyrions nose for example)

are you replying to the right post?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 8:47 PM, Iron Mother said:

How does Arya do someone's VOICE tho?

I can see how people don't buy into the show because of things like that.  At least the Mission: Impossible movies have the bio-electric tape over the voice area when impersonating.

When Jaquen killed at Harrenhaal, I can't remember if he fake someone's voice.  He was silent.

You never know who the Faceless Men are and they definitely infiltrate with people who knew the original victim.  So it's pretty obvious that the glamour, or whatever it is, definitely works so that the whole illusion is real.

And no offence, but it's a fantasy show.  Direwolves, Undead, Dragons.  And yet I read people complaining about "unrealistic" fight sequences or magic.  Either take it all for what it is, or take none of it all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My personal view is that both characters are way too over powered in the books but the show has gone too far the other way and made them politically impotent.

Ultimately other than causing chaos that leads to the weakening of Westeros I don't think either of them actually matter that much in the grand scheme of things, book or show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

My personal view is that both characters are way too over powered in the books but the show has gone too far the other way and made them politically impotent.

Ultimately other than causing chaos that leads to the weakening of Westeros I don't think either of them actually matter that much in the grand scheme of things, book or show.

I heard something interesting, someone said LF and Varys were totally "political intrique" and now there is no more "political intrigue".  That pretty much explains it.  LF and Varys, everything they are is through political intrigue... they aren't warriors, or even really advisors.  Cersei would be the same if she were not queen.  She only worked through political intrigue.  She exists now only because she is in charge of something huge.What would Tyrion be right now if he weren't hand of Daenerys?  Not much.  So that explained it for me.  And unfortunately I'm now accepting LF and Varys must surely "go".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Iron Mother said:

No.  If I'm right, The Vale is encamped all around Winterfell currently.  That's why Lord Royce is still in Winterfell, we saw in 2 episodes ago Sansa advised him to get the breastplate guy to use leather because of the cold.  Royce would not be there if the Vale was not there.

You probably didn't get me right. It is not the sporadic appearance of Ser Royce at Winterfells council which convinces me that the Vale had mantained a sound existence in the show. What about those some hundred horsed soldiers, are they not eating off the food (horses and men) off Winterfell, while food is scarce there. The Vale is - besides Dorne the only part of the Seven Kingdoms until now spared from ware - richer in food provisions than any other region in the Seven Kingdoms. Is there any Food Transport from the Vale to Wnterfell, what do they Need the Vales army for? Where are the foot soldiers of the Vale? Who leads and represents the Vale (Sweetrobin, Lord Royce or Littlefinger)? What about the bad blood between Lord Royce and Littlefinger (remember back in Season 6)?

Gulltown is - apart from Kings Landing - the closest harbour to Dragonstone. What is the relation between The Vale and Dany; if the Vale follows Jon Snow's rule, well: see above.

Etc. etc.

That is why I think the Vale has been written off (or forgotten) in the Show as much as the Stormlands, Dorne (as a region with a still existing huge army), well, and as the Riverlands: R.I.P Edmure Tully - sorry, during her two weeks stay at the Twins in disguise of Walder Frey, Arya had no time to visit you in the dungeon and later forgot totally about your existence..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Greywater-Watch said:

You probably didn't get me right. It is not the sporadic appearance of Ser Royce at Winterfells council which convinces me that the Vale had mantained a sound existence in the show. What about those some hundred horsed soldiers, are they not eating off the food (horses and men) off Winterfell, while food is scarce there. The Vale is - besides Dorne the only part of the Seven Kingdoms until now spared from ware - richer in food provisions than any other region in the Seven Kingdoms. Is there any Food Transport from the Vale to Wnterfell, what do they Need the Vales army for? Where are the foot soldiers of the Vale? Who leads and represents the Vale (Sweetrobin, Lord Royce or Littlefinger)? What about the bad blood between Lord Royce and Littlefinger (remember back in Season 6)?

Gulltown is - apart from Kings Landing - the closest harbour to Dragonstone. What is the relation between The Vale and Dany; if the Vale follows Jon Snow's rule, well: see above.

Etc. etc.

That is why I think the Vale has been written off (or forgotten) in the Show as much as the Stormlands, Dorne (as a region with a still existing huge army), well, and as the Riverlands: R.I.P Edmure Tully - sorry, during her two weeks stay at the Twins in disguise of Walder Frey, Arya had no time to visit you in the dungeon and later forgot totally about your existence..

Your paragraphs only underscore how out-of-control the show is now with a face off between Cersei and Deanerys. 

This is NOT Game of Thrones anymore.  I'm not sure what it is. 

Zombies & Dragons?

Twilight Of Magicland?

Winter V Summer?

Queen Of Westeros?

CastleForge: Dawn Of Woman?

Valyrian Steel - Northern Abomination?

Blood Of The Dragon? (That would be intersting actually)

House Targaryen & The Foreign Invasion?

Cersei And Daenerys: The Fate Westeros?

The Last Targaryen?

House Lannister - The Usurper?

Last Queen Standing? (have fun with that one! lol)

How do any of those names sound for this new show?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am thankful to all the gods that Littlefinger is actually having some tricky plots again.  If this is all I can get, I will take it. 

That part was one of the more titillating portions of episode 5!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really wished that back in season 6 when the High Priestess Kinvara told Varys that if he is Queen's Daenerys true friend he has nothing to fear from her, was a hint that he is conspiring behind Dany's back..(I also hoped to see Aegon Targaryen-or FAegon- but it seems like there is another Aegon in our story...).

Varys is doing nothing.. We haven't even see him saying anything important from his little birds..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe there just isn't room/time for Varys and LF on this show anymore.  They are schemers, guys who come up with these complicated master plans that have numerous contingencies and alterations.  The show simply does not have time for that anymore.  They also don't have GRRM's source material to work off anymore.  

That's why LF is doing...whatever he's been doing in Winterfell.  Which is more than you can say for Varys, who besides for his nice monologue in episode 2 of this season and his death prophecy in episode 3 seemingly has no role at all in Dany's council.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now